Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Help!! I Want this rose! Rosa canina

I've searched the web. Nothing!! Anyone know where I can buy it? Please?

Comments (41)

• geo_7a
    15 years ago

I believe edible landscaping (in Va.) has this, and they ship yearround.

• len511
    15 years ago

May we ask why? It was once used as a rootstock, but it suckered too much.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am a gourmet cook, and I love to make wine and cure olives, and this rose has the best hips. Let it sucker!! I want it!!
    I want it to make jelly with it's hips. so...... where can i get it???

• geo_7a
    15 years ago

I realize I don't exist (married, 6 kids), but the rose (if you want to pay the price) can be found @ ediblelandscaping.com

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

There are apparently variations on Rosa canina. This place in California has it. Geo, VA is a long way from CA, meaning shipping might be quite high, perhaps desert is looking for a source closer to California. And anyone married 6 kids sure does exist and probably very busy with not a minute to rest, a minute to herself, always caring for her husband and little ones. Blessings upon you.

Here is a link that might be useful: california seller of Rosa canina

Original Author
    15 years ago

geo 7a and hoovb thank you so much! I just registered for HMF. What a great site! I put in a request to purchase the rose and if I don't hear back from them soon, I'll contact the nursery in VA. It was also great reading the comments about the rose. There is a lovely picture of it's rose hips covered with snow. It doesn't snow here, so I hope it will grow without snow! I now know it will grow very tall, so that gives me an idea where to put it!

And hoovb said it correctly about 6 kids! I couldn't have said it better!

Thank you so very much!!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Whether it will grow without snow depends on how much non-snow you get. I doubt it will do anything without some chill hours. It's close garden relatives, the albas, are not good choices for areas without some winter.

• fredsmilek
    15 years ago

Good luck!

Fred Smilek
    Email- Fred_Smilek@yahoo.com
    Webpage- http://sites.google.com/site/fredjsmilek/

Fred Smilek is the acting president of the Society to Save Endangered Species. It was founded two years ago by Fred Smilek along with his two best friends Charles and Jonathan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fred Smilek

Original Author
    15 years ago

Mad Gallica, I live on a golf course in the Southern California Palm Springs Desert Valley. The course often has frost on it, so it does get pretty chilly here in the winter.

We get "Snow Birds" visiting from States with tons of snow and I can't figure out what they come here for. It's brrrrrrrr freezing to my native Californian thin blood. I think the Rose will enjoy the cold, and I'll be happy to dump ice on it now and then.

I worry about my citrus trees and cover them with blankets if they predict weather in the 30's so I know it does get pretty cold. Nice to know I won't have to worry about Rosa Canina.

Thanks for your input, and Fred, looks like you have a worthy cause going there!

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    15 years ago

You can also start species roses from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: they sell seeds

• User
    15 years ago

Unfortunately it appears Fred is a Spammer. He joined GW three days ago and this post of his is not at all relevant to the discussion, so it should be regarded as Spam.

:-(

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Zack!! Those are expensive seeds!! Especially since some woman from Australia sent me a note saying birds are making this thing an official weed there!!

Still on my quest, but thanks for the seed link. I'll go that route if necessary.

Suzi

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

Are you kidding? I can send you loads of hips of wild growing canina here from Norway. Sprouting percent is not the best but a trick is to freeze the seeds a couple of months and then sow them in pots where you have a bit more controlled environment. Canina seeds need frost to sprout too.

Original Author
    15 years ago

taoseeker! Thank you! Please send me an email telling me where to mail you a self addressed envelope, and how much postage I should put on there. I'm very excited! My man's whole family is Norwegian, and this makes it very extra special!

Thanks so very much!
    Suzi

Original Author
    15 years ago

taoseeker, don't worry about sending me the seeds, although I'd love them from Norway. Helpmefind.com helped me find! A nice lady from Switzerland just sent me about 30 seeds.

I will do as you suggested. They are in the freezer for two months, will come out for one, and back in for another two so they think they went through two years. I'll keep you posted on how many seeds actually grow.

Oh Happy Day!

• jaxondel
    15 years ago

Desertdance -- I LOVED following this thread and was momentarily a bit disconsolate to learn that we have now arrived at its denouement. You've no idea how thrilled I am for you . . . May Rosa canina thrive always and forever in your environment, may it bestow rich harvests, and may the jelly be MORE than worth your valiant effort.

Your spirit has gladdened my soul. Oh happy day, indeed!

• clanross
    15 years ago

Just to add, I saw this rose's hips on ebay in a bag for sale for a couple of dollars. Also seeds for rosa canina. In case the plant is too pricey or in case you want a lot, might be worth trying the seeds. ??? (since it's a species rose, maybe it would grow from seed OK. ???) I sometimes see an unusual species or old-fashioned rose on Ebay. Hope you get your rose hips. :)

• jimofshermanoaks
    15 years ago

You might check out a Morongo Valley nursery as they carry r. uncinella which is reputed to one of some 60 variants of r. canina. There is the added vantage that they are located in an area near Palm Springs.

JimD

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Nursery

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Are you kidding? I can send you loads of hips of wild growing canina here from Norway. Sprouting percent is not the best but a trick is to freeze the seeds a couple of months and then sow them in pots where you have a bit more controlled environment. Canina seeds need frost to sprout too.

Ummm, taoseeker?

Please don't do that. It's illegal.

Heaven knows what viruses you will send us in those seeds!

• york_rose
    15 years ago

don't know what they're doing.

desertdance, you really shouldn't plant those Swiss seeds. You don't know what rose diseases you might introduce.

It's illegal to grow seed from other countries that you have no permit for. The reason why is because it's impossible to determine what diseases you'll introduce.

I know.

I work for the USDA's quarantine agency.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

desertdance, may I suggest an alternative?

Buy & grow Rosa x alba semi-plena (aka YORK ROSE). It sets hips, it's for sale in the USA from US growers, and it's a naturally occurring hybrid of R. canina.

Original Author
    15 years ago

OK York Rose. I hear you! I'll do some searches for that other one. You are positive it's the same?

• jaxondel
    15 years ago

Oh my . . . Who knew that the flora and soils of tidy, pristine Switzerland may very well be harboring pathogens that might wreak havoc on the rest of the world? Ditto the ones from Norway?

York rose, now I'm perplexed by the knowledge that Switzerland (along with the U.S. & a few other countries) has been among the principal contributors of food crop seeds to that global seed vault that's being maintained on an island off the coast of Norway -- the one that's supposed to be a safeguard against some future global cataclysm.

I wonder if anyone there knows about the potential risks of Swiss seeds? Seeing as how you're employed by the cognizant Federal agency on these matters, what can you tell us about pathogens originating in Swiss- and/or Norwegian-produced seeds? There must be something in the literature that addresses the hazard(s).

• york_rose
    15 years ago

I don't know. I only know that when you shoot blind, you can't predict the outcome.

That's why there's a protocol for importing things. The first European plant quarantines were enacted after grape phylloxera appeared in France and nearly wiped out the continent's wine industry.

The first American quarantine was put in place after having to explain to the Japanese Government that the Emperor's gift of cherry trees for the Tidal Basin was infested with root nematodes and had to be burned.........

Go look it up if you don't believe me, and save the sarcasm for a better occasion.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

desertdance, so I have always read (Graham Thomas so wrote in his work on old roses, IIRC). There are more experienced rosarians than me over at the Antique Rose Forum. I'm sure they'll be able to confirm or correct. They may also know of a good source for R. canina.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Importing crop seed is much easier than importing shrub seed (including rose seed) is. Roses are in the same family as most of our temperate region fruits (apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, plums, cherries, nectarines, apricots, almonds, quince, medlar, and others). Viruses that infect roses often are able to infect other plants in that family, too. I don't know what rose virus diseases gardeners in Norway & Switzerland contend with. I don't want to find out the hard way that they have sharka (for example) and can send it to us in rose seeds.

(I have no idea if that could happen. It may well be that sharka can't be spread that way. I offer it as an example of the sort of thing that could happen with the right organisms. I don't know if sharka can be spread that way or not.)

When you import, the importation usually goes through a plant inspection station, and then it's grown in isolation for a while (how long varies with the commodity) in a post-entry quarantine and periodically checked by agricultural inspectors to make sure it's not infected with anything that only shows up after it's been actively growing for a while.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh York! For the love of a rose, I opened a can of worms!! And where were you when I first wanted the rose? Nice of you to post AFTER I got the seeds.

You will never know..... WAIT Maybe I'll sell one on EBAY. Swiss Seeds....... Hmmmmmmmm

And for those of you in Europe, you have Dahlias I want, Grapes I want......... I love you all, and especially that nice person from Switzerland who sent me seeds. They will NOT go to waste!!

Whatcha gonna do? Put me in jail?
    Suzi

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Ah, another gardener convinced their dreams are more important than keeping the Earth healthy..........

This is why we have invasive species. This is why we have weeds.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

If you want to be irresponsible I can't stop you and won't, but I mentioned alternatives, didn't I?

Original Author
    15 years ago

york, this is why we have "roundup"

Thank you Swiss!

I will plant my seeds! And to God be the Glory!
    Suz

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Thanks for keeping the country's plant health in such good shape..........

God help you if the State of California finds out. Your county agricultural inspectors enforce the most stringent quarantines in the country, and with good reason, given the number of exotic pests that arrive every year thanks to people like you with your selfish obsessions.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

I remind you again that the hips you seek are already available to you, and without planting seeds whose health you cannot vouch for.

Genies don't go back into bottles.

I'm not a regular commenter on these forums. I did not know you had it in mind to seek out seed from another country regardless of whether it was wise or not. If I had seen your posts sooner than I did I would have asked and offered the advice at the time.

The only difference is you have the seed.

Again, thanks for being such a responsible steward of creation - not.

People like you keep me in my job.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Roundup does nothing to control a spreading virus once it's loose. You won't know what other plants thrips, aphids, and leafhoppers are spreading it to. If Roundup were a good control we wouldn't have post-entry quarantines.

• generator_00
    15 years ago

desertdance, Numerous people have given you suggestions on where to get the rose you want right here in the USA. I fail to understand why you insist on doing something that is illegal and could spread disease. I would hate to see all my gardening efforts undermined because some snowbird goose from your backyard spread dog rose seeds to my backyard that have a disease from Switzerland.

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

So is this a good time to talk about the iris bulbs I smuggled in from Holland tied up in pantyhose?? Or not?...
    (Before you get your knickers in a twist, York, I'll have to admit that they didn't survive, sadly.)

• geo_7a
    15 years ago

Perhaps goji would be a good compromise?

Alternatively (not that I have myself) for rose hips, I understand "Madame Gregoire Staechelin" has large, pear shaped hips (not to mention having strong fragrance & disease resistance). Not sure on the flavor, though.

Rosa Rugosa Alba is also a good choice, but talk about invasive! Ok taste; so far my favorite rugosa for hips (as far as taste/quantity) is "Snow Pavement".

Alba Semi-Plena (which I just planted last year, we'll see on the hips) is supposed to be a cross of Rosa Canina with Rosa Gallica; hadn't given much thought to its edibility until now, but am now intrigued with possibility of such a cross (considering also lore of the "Apothecary Rose", a gallica).

I originally bought "Dart's Dash" for the hips, but for me, although hips so far have been large, they've also been few & far between. Verdict still out on "Moje Hammarberg".

Perhaps "Scabrosa" or "Hansa" (rugosas)?

I've also heard rosa canina has the best tasting hips, but aren't they also somewhat small? A lot of work, if you have to watch out for the seeds/hairs? And wouldn't heating (i.e.-jelly) sort of defeat the purpose, as far as vitamins, flavonoids, etc? Wine sounds good, though.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello? Most of our "not native" plants came with our great great grandparents from Europe. They brought what they loved with them.

I'm thinking........ Look out!!

Suz

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

OK, at risk of exposing my ignorance- I thought I had learned that viruses do not spread through seeds. I thought that was why many European rose growers use root stock grown from seeds. Maybe there are virus types that can spread through seeds? I can see things like fungus spreading that way- the fungus gets on the seed coat & is thereby introduced. Thanks

• generator_00
    15 years ago

I don't make the rules and I don't enforce them but they do make interesting reading sometimes.
    Plants and Seeds
    Some plants, cuttings, seeds that are capable of propagation, unprocessed plant products, and certain endangered species are allowed into the United States but require import permits; some are prohibited entirely. Threatened or endangered species that are permitted must have export permits from the country of origin.

Every single plant or plant product including handicraft items made with straw, must be declared to the CBP officer and must be presented for CBP inspection, no matter how free of pests it appears to be. For information write to USDA-APHIS-PPQ, 4700 River Road, Riverdale, MD 20737; call (301) 734-8645; or visit the APHIS web site at ( APHIS Plant Import ) .

Here is a link that might be useful: CBT.gov

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Hello? Most of our "not native" plants came with our great great grandparents from Europe. They brought what they loved with them.

That's true, but it still happens now, and it can still cause problems. One of the seed spices in Iranian cuisine is a federal noxious weed (commonly known here as {{gwi:221602}}). It's in the carrot family (as many of our spices are), and so the seeds have a distinctive fragrance akin to those of celery seed, cumin, coriander, dill, and fennel. {{gwi:221604}}

I don't believe the seed itself, unsprouted & used in cooking, is a problem, but there's no way to guarantee that a person bringing the seed with them isn't going to plant some so they have an ongoing domestic supply of the seed for their cooking. Then they move, the plant remains in the garden, and subsequently becomes a permanent part of the landscape.

It's not that all or most importations are destructive. Obviously if they were we would be far less eager to run the risks. The problem is that when you import outside of the law you have no control over the consequences if something goes wrong unexpectedly.

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

Guess I can answer my own question... Apparently about 20% of viruses can be transmitted by seed. So it depends on which virus, which plant. Good ol' wikipedia...