Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

KOs, shady roses?

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

OK, so I'm working on this bed that went from full sun to nearly no sun at all when the dratted tree grew up. (note to self, stop planting trees!) I've slowly had to remove most all of the roses from that bed as a result. One end of the bed does get some sun from mid day on and the other end gets very late afternoon sun but not 6 hours worth.

My question is do you think Knock Outs would work on that shadier end? I don't have much experience with them but, of course, everyone says they're pretty much fool proof in most situations. Does that include shade?

Comments (7)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

IME, not really. I have a lot of trees in my backyard, and almost no all day sun. The KO is in a spot that gets midday sun, and not much more than that. It hasn't grown well, and blooms poorly. I'd move it, but there aren't any better spots left.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I grow a lot of KOs under pine trees, I think 5 hrs sun is more than enough for them to bloom.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arrgh, one fer and one agin. Now what do I do? The bed does get some sun just not 6 or 8 hours and not evenly. It gets the most sun in the spring before the tree leafs out so I would probably get a good spring flush. After that it might be iffy.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Hi Seil

OK, to confuse the score even more I'll chime in as a "maybe". My double knockout is in conditions like what you describe, within the drip line of a huge burr oak tree. It gets dappled sunshine throughout the day but direct sun for probably no more than 2-3 hours a day. It blooms reasonably well for a part-shade rose - I get probably 4-5 bloom cycles a year, but it's never a "wow look at me" rose.

What I'd suggest instead are looking at the hybrid musks. I have mine under limbed up pine trees and they bloom pretty steadily without looking back. If you want the eye-popping color and carefree ease of a Knockout, Wilhelm is the same hot pink "red" color, though bigger than most knockouts are around here.

Bottom line for me, the Knockouts can take part shade in our zone without much disease trouble, but they have less bloom than would be expected in better sun. Like any other rose, but better than some...

Cynthia

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Hey Seil,
    I had several of the original KOâÂÂs in semi-shade many years ago and they flowered relatively well with only a few hours of late afternoon dappled sunâ¦not sure if my higher zone helped with that, though. I grew tired of the bright cherry red and replaced them with Sunny KOâÂÂs when those were first released. The Sunny KOâÂÂs did not fare well in shadeâ¦rarely bloomed and blackspotted terribly. Gruss an Aachen has been my best shade tolerant rose of lateâ¦as good as the original KOâÂÂs were. My two Gruss an Aachen bushes stay at about 3 x 3, if you need something smaller than a hybrid musk for your spot.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Seil, I have one of my Double Knock Outs planted in mostly shade--several hours of sun in the earlier morning, perhaps a couple hours of sun late in the day, but I'm sure it doesn't add up to 6 hours of sun--more like 4-5 hours, I'd guess.

No disease problems, but less abundant bloom than my Double Knock Out planted in the sun. Looks nice when in bloom (not spectacular, but nice), but takes a rather long rest between blooming cycles. Like mad gallica, I'd move it--if I had a better spot left open.

Do consider the hybrid musks. I don't know if they all can take part shade, but many of them can. I have Felicia out in back where there is more sun--it is really lovely--you'll have to check on how shade tolerant it is. However, I ordered a new HM for a spot that gets part shade--can't remember if I ordered Cornelia or Penelope, so I'll be surprised when I get it in early spring, but they are both wonderful HMs. Whichever one I ordered, it is supposed to tolerate partial shade.

Here's an idea. How about Ghislaine de Feligonde. She grows usually as a climber, but you could let her ramble and just fill up that space. (That is how I grow my Buff Beauty, as a free-standing shrub.) Ghislaine is listed as a "Hybrid Multiflora, Hybrid Musk, Rambler" at helpmefind.com, and tolerates shade. It is hardy to zone 5 and is disease-resistant. I planted one last year--hasn't bloomed yet, but sure is taking off like a good vigorous rose. Mine is way out in back, so I intend to let it sprawl and do whatever it likes. That area gets part-shade.

Like someone said above, it you are after bright colors, hybrid musks also come in some rosy reds shades, but I don't grow them, so I can't tell you anything about them. I also do not know if they are as shade tolerant as their lighter cousins. But that's what helpmefind.com is for--answering all our questions!

I really think you would be happier with a HM in that spot--or depending on how big the spot is, maybe you could combine a lighter HM with the brighter Double Knock Out.

Let us know what you come up with--but a word of warning on the supposedly re-blooming hydrangeas (macrophylls). They don't always do a good job re-blooming--spring freezes tend to destroy the first bloom. Most macrophyls have that problem. On the other hand, the Annabelle hydrangea can take more cold, but needs more sun.

Good luck with your planning. Do look over the hybrid musks. I really like them.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, thank you! I hadn't thought about anything else and I should have. I've never been all that fond of the KOs but I was in desperation mode since this is a difficult spot I guess. Shame on me, lol! I'm so glad I decided to ask here first.

I did a search on HMF for HMs, very hardy, shade tolerant and it came up with a great list! There are many really lovely ones to choose from so I'm off to do some pickin' n choosen'!