Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

How cold is it in your locale?

Winter hasn't been to awful bad up to this point...

But last night temp dropped to 0 degrees with 45 mph winds so windchill was -20 degrees...

Looks like it will remain very cold until this Sunday...

Hows temps in your area?

Comments (30)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It's only 72. Yesterday it was 80.

Sorry.

• buford
    9 years ago

It was 9 degrees this morning. Not much wind. It's 28 now. And I live in HotLanta!

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

-30 celcius with the windchill.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

It's winter. It's January, so -3 isn't at all bad. I didn't even make my daughter wear a winter coat this morning. By the time I was running errands this afternoon it had warmed up to low 20's and felt positively balmly.

One of these years it is going to get cold like it was in the early 90's. When the high for the day is around zero, this weather is almost tropical.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

My cold body doesn't agree with the above poster! BRRRR! We had a high of 40 today and a low will be about 30. We live in a mobile home, so the floor is cold and I can never seem to get warm. Of course by Sunday it will be 70 degrees.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

duplicate.

This post was edited by zackey on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 10:36

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Down to 1 last night, but we're at a balmy 14 now and rising.

• thedogsLL
    9 years ago

-4 this morning when I left for work at 7am. The thermometer sits about 3" on the other side of a double pane window. Heat isn't supposed to escape, but that close to the house had to affect it to some degree. Wind chill was around -23, if I remember correctly.
    LynnT

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

My backdoor thermometer says that it is 38 right now. Got down to about 29/30 last night and didn't rise out of the 30s today. I hate it and could never live where it's colder. Y'all is crazy with your "tropical 20." :D

And yes, my best friend who lives in Wisconsin laughs at me. Lol!

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    9 years ago

A high of 63 and a low of 40. My Mister Lincoln that is in full sun doesn't seem to care that it's winter and has still been sending up single blooms.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

At 8 pm Thursday, it's 30 degrees. The low will be 23 degrees, and the high is predicted to be 40 degrees tomorrow. Better than the Arctic blast we just had. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

A high of 63 with a low of 43.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

The actual temperature was -6 this morning and the wind chill was -34. We've been under a severe wind chill advisory for a couple of days now. It was supposed to end tonight but now they've extended it through tomorrow. We got about 2 inches of snow tonight with another couple predicted for tomorrow. That's not too bad. The west side of the state got a foot of snow already with more coming. I already have cabin fever and it's only January 8th!

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

11c or 50ish f, I think. Warm, but not unseasonable of late. It's getting so some of my roses don't really go dormant, just slow down a bit.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

17 last night high of 44 today be back in the 50 I believe this weekend. I agree with you zackey, I live in a MH as well and the floors are cold!

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

Stayed in the teens last night but got down to 6 F (not counting windchill) the night before. The temp is supposed to stay at or below 32 today. There was just a hint of a snow flurry this AM. Actually, this is normal for January here.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Hmm, Sharon - those wind chill advisories are no joke. We had a "cold day" where the schools closed Wednesday because the high wasn't expected to get above 0 Farenheit, with a lovely wind. Today my car thermometer said 6 and it really feels OK (relatively speaking). I agree with MadGallica that by January we've gotten acclimated to the cold as usual, and it isn't that bad on most days once you do. If the California or Texas folks got transplanted here all of a sudden it would be brutal, but your sense of cold does really adjust when you're well into the winter season.

This past Sunday my son was whipping off his coat to just a sweatshirt because it was too warm (it was 6 degrees, but no wind). He did consent to wear a coat when we were out Wednesday because the wind had picked up, and let me tell you it doesn't take much wind for below zero temperature to turn to dangerous wind chills. Still, my son gives us grief about wearing his coat most days, which given he's a preteen isn't too bad of a battle. At least most day's it's sunny which helps your mood.

So far the roses seem an average level of winter comfort with the cold, not like last year's lingering dips below zero. All in all, a typical winter with light amounts of snow here in Nebraska.

Cynthia

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

It is -15 c but feels like - 26 c today for me. I hope I don't loose too much plants this year..lol.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Here it has varied from "cold" (60s during the day, high 30s at night), to "warmer" (hi 60s to low 70s during the day, low 50s or high 40s at night). So, to anyone from a cooler climate - we are warm. No rain for 3 weeks, which is worrying. That dratted "HIGH" pressure is back, forcing all of the storms either North of us or South. Hopefully it will move soon.

My old tea roses are all either leafing out or in bud. Really, as we got 20+ inches of rain in Dec, this is the beginning of our Spring.

Jackie

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Coldest so far was early Thursday at 7 with the day's high in the low 20's, still & clear. Found my fuzzy slippers! Yesterday managed to peak at 40, but today we're just below freezing with an expected overnight low of 13. Sunday & Monday back up to 40 with freezing rain overnight Sunday into Monday & sleet & snow likely Monday night. Freezing rain & ice storms are the occasional real hazard here - would much rather plain snow. First really wintry weather this season & usually melts off in a day or two. From now through early Spring we're typically on a freeze-thaw yoyo. Here's hoping we bypass the extended cold that was so damaging last Winter. Some roses still sporting green leaves

• garlicgrower
    9 years ago

HI Folks:
    Last week down to -8F and thereabouts. Yesterday low 20sF - today 1/12 rain but chilly. It's a roller coaster ride.

This just reinforces my wish to plant Zone 4 hardy roses. Yes, I am in Zone 5 but when the wind runs through like a freight train in the minus figures, the Zone 5 rated roses die back so far they have a hard time recovering, if they recover at all.

My no-names that I begged, borrowed and "stole" winter well. Dorothy Perkins and Aloha taken as cuttings have no problem. American Pillar and several very old pink no-names - no problem. The Canadian Park series plants do fine.
    But -Most of those purchased in pots and pampered, have flunked the test over the years including Mary Rose, Autumn Sunset (sport of Westerland), Blaze Improved, Don Juan, New Dawn, Angel Face, etc.

I'm always open to suggestions for super hardy roses.
    Happy dreaming ~
    Maryanne in western Massachusetts

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Hi Maryanne,
    I'm surprised that New Dawn didn't make it your climate. That is one tough rose. Perhaps some of the roses who couldn't hack your winters were grafted, and this made them more susceptible to the cold, especially if the bud union wasn't planted below ground. The cuttings that are doing so well for you are own root, and that may have made the difference.
    I love hardy Morden Sunrise, developed in Canada. Here's a pic.
    PS--This Westerner loves Massachusetts and all of New England. So beautiful and interesting. Diane

• allen456
    9 years ago

We bottomed out at 10f last week. Forecast for the weekend is 60f!

Fifty degree swing in two weeks.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Maryanne, the problem isn't just the winters, but also the summers. So roses that will bounce back well in places with hot summers don't do so here. I've spent way more time than I'm willing to admit trying to get that through midwesterners, but they just don't seem to get it.

For a general rule of thumbs, repeat blooming roses rated to zone 3 do well. Those would be AgCanada introductions and rugosas so long as they have their preferred conditions. Once bloomers listed as zone 5 and hardier are also good bets, and there are a lot more of those around.

There is nothing on your list that surprises me if you are colder than me. It's not a grafted vs own-root thing, but a misjudgement of just how hard on roses an eastern zone 5 can be.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

It's 7ðF (-13.88C) right now, will go down to -2ðF (-18.88ðC) tomorrow morning. Wrap around Annie Laurie McDowell with Wax paper shopping bag a week ago, and all roses are still covered under 10" of snow. They should be good for sub zero weather. I'd rather have snow than rain. Just dress warm, I don't feel the cold. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

-15 degrees Fahrenheit at night here. Last year I went from 7 Mister Lincoln down to 2. All my other plants made it through. I hope they can get a break this winter.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Too warm at mid seventies. Nice for pruning but I want plums this year . A little snow remains on Mt. Baldy but we need more winter here in so. CA.

The temperature a few hours before sunset are perfect for digging. My pomegranate tree shed its leaves last week. We didn't get winter. Fall is here now and after that spring begins. Bulbs are starting now. Winter is only for the mountains now.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

2ðC (35ðF) this morning here in east central Sweden. So far this winter we've not been colder than 20ðF, enough for our lake to freeze over for skating for a couple of weeks. There's very little snow, just enough to cover the grass but melting now.

2014 was the warmest year since records started in the 1860'ies. Very different from 2013 that began well but then the cold hit in March and many roses froze to the ground. We are hoping for another winter like last year, of course.

• dove_song
    9 years ago

39ð F here in Spokane, Washington USA. Feels like like 32ð F. Wind is 10mph coming from WSW. Overcast sky. Snowed overnight. Looks beautiful. Drinking tea and feeling cozy inside this a.m. It's nice that our days are getting longer. Have a good day. :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

We're supposed to be above freezing tomorrow! First time this year if it happens.