Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_keil_cr

Karl Bapst

dan_keil_cr Keil
10 years ago

Hi all!
I have very sad news, our rose friend Karl Bapst passed away on January 14th . I know I will miss him. He has given us all great advice about roses. He was the guy who answered questions at ARS. I notified them as well. I asked if I could do it!

Comments (17)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I am so sad to hear this. I so enjoyed Karl's posts and loved his photos. He was a courageous man who gardened in spite of his stroke. I have missed his posts in the last several years. He was an inspiration to many and will truly be missed.
    Judith

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

Very sad indeed. I remember him posting on here for as long as I have been on the rose forums. And that is a long time. RIP Karl!

• iowa_jade
    10 years ago

A sad day indeed.RIP
    FL

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Oh dear. We will greatly miss Karl! As we age I'm finding loved ones passings a real heartache. Kiss your loved ones and hold them close!!!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

FYI: there is another post on this forum under the title "Rosenut" which was Karl's web name. It includes the web address for his obit and a link to his website.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about Karl/Rosenut

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you for letting us know.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

I also enjoyed his posts for so many years. I remember how he worked hard even after his stroke. I appreciate your informing us, and am truly saddened by this news.

Sammy

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

The other day, I was wondering how he was doing. Thanks for the info. He was such an inspiration.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

A wonderful voice here, so kind and helpful. I first heard of him maybe thirty years ago. The ARS mag had an article about him building styrofoam boxes to protect his HTs in the Chicago winter. But later he was teaching us how little you could do and still grow good roses.

• mori1
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. His advice was wonderful and I admired the fact that kept gardening when most people in his condition would have given up.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Very sad news. My sympathies to all his family and friends. He was a big force here at GW and will be missed.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Karl was a real gem. I never met him in person but enjoyed years of his postings on this forum. I recall seeing the pictures he posted once of how he winterized his roses and I was in awe of all the hard work he put in for them...... He was not only a talker but a doer as well. He went to great lengths to get the ARS to present the newly created and named "GardenWeb" trophy to the best bloom of a rose show - any type of bloom, not just the usual Hybrid Teas....... Gosh, it's so sad to loose such a great Rosarian. I'll miss him.......Maryl

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I emailed Karl at Christmas time and have emailed him a few times before that. He always answered back if he could.
    I will miss him!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I remember how he posted photos of his foam rose protection boxes on GW, and that was impressive enough to start with. Then he would mention off and on how he had to tend his roses from a wheelchair with use of only one hand, and he moved from a wise rose person to rose hero in my book. He always had a common-sense practical approach to roses, and he was willing to share that wisdom with newbies and experienced folks alike.

He'll be sorely missed here as well as elsewhere in the rose world

Cynthia

• barb_roselover_in
    10 years ago

This is odd because I was just thinking today that I had not heard from him for a long time. I hesitated to email him because I knew how ill he had become. I have been to his home and bought roses from him. He would tear around on that little electric scooter he had with a long tool in his hand picking up this and that, and like all of us gardeners, he could not stand to see somethng wrong without fixing it. My daughter will be sad because she had driven me up there and was really inspired by him. It makes me think of something I read today.

"Christ wants us to share His happiness to live happily ever after. Until then, He gives us a sudden splash of happiness here and there so we can wet our toes in what we'll be swimming in for all of eternity" He's in good hands. Barb

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Very sad. indeed. I haven't been on here much lately, but he was also so helpful. Even if he didn't respond directly to a thread, more than once I received a private email from him offering his advice. He will be missed.

Tammy