Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_one_nerve_left

Rose Leafs Dropping

So I bought 2 small bands last August/September, but due to some pretty involved upheaval in my back yard, I figured I would pot them up and keep them indoors and do a spring planting to give them some time to grow a bit.

Everything seemed to be going well, both plants put on new growth and in general making a good start at life...... that is until about 4 weeks ago.

The new leaf growth started to sag/wilt, and a gentle flick on an established cane would cause entire otherwise healthy looking leaflets to fall off.

As far as general care went, I did a thorough deep watering about once a week and let all the extra drain off for about 5 minutes. When it started to look wilted, the soil was still moist so I stopped watering thinking that overwatering was the issue. I did give it some root building fertilizer around Thanksgiving I think. Enough before the wilting I would not have expected that to cause the issue.

Anyway, I did a light pruning of what I thought was dead and tried to limit the disturbances. It lost like 5 entire leaflets (clusters of leaves) just carrying it down the stairs. I then gave them 2 weeks to recover while I was on a business trip.

At this point one is probably already totally dead, it doesn't have any leaves left and the few places I cut the cane to look for life were all dried out.

The other however has most all of its leaves still but the wilted new growth never recovered and fell off when I was inspecting the plant 2 days ago. I am at a loss as to what is wrong.

Admittedly, I didn't plan to keep the roses indoors forever, and I know they don't like being indoors in general, but the rapid demise was shocking.

It has been fairly dark in our area with cloud cover/ general winter conditions recently, so the direct sunlight and secondary light is a bit limited, but it is in the best spot in the house for total light and should be "light" for about 4-6 hours a day. The one that died (Zepherine Drouhin) supposedly is pretty shade hardy.

Any recommendations? It is around 32 degrees most of the time right now, and the garage while slightly warmer, is quite dark (North facing). I planned to plant them around March originally, but I am concerned they may not make it that long.

So firstly, recommendations to keep the healthier one going. Secondly, any recommendations for bringing the other back from the roots or its 1 remaining cane?

Not that is matters as much, but they are located near a tropical hibiscus and jasmine. Both of those plants have had other issues, IE single whole branch died from the hibiscus for no apparent reason, rest of the plant is growing and putting out new growth, and the jasmine has a few leaves in a small area that suddenly turned brown and the tips of the vines didn't get any leaf growth, but don't seem in any threat of death in the next few months.

Comments (2)