Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

Help! How do I trim

campv 8b AZ
10 years ago

Peace climber-
I have started to trim it, but I am not quit sure where to trim the large canes. I know about the laterals but I am un sure about the large canes. They are about thumb size. I also have untied portions of it to trim it.
Can some one help me.

Comments (11)

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd picture

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

3rd photo

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I prune off all the inferior growth leaving only the best major canes and since it is a climber I prune the major canes according to the way I want to shape the rose. And BTW, I had Cl. Peace back in CT until a bad winter killed it and it was not a good bloomer.

• idixierose
    10 years ago

Don't get discouraged by HenryinCT's remarks. Climbing Peace can be a wonderful rose in Zone 8b climates. It thrives in heat.

As for pruning your Cl. Peace, trim out weak, spindly canes and leave the larger, stronger canes. Laterals are the smaller branches that grow along the major canes. I like to trim the laterals back to two or three bud eyes. Once you've pruned, then tie the canes to their trellis in a wide fan shape.

Cl. Peace will put on a magnificent show in the spring and almost as good in the fall. Don't expect much from it in summer. The rose likes to eat, so feed it generously and frequently.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

idixierose- Ref top picture
    The large cane that is "Y" shaped(going left) do I take off the two side sm. canes.
    #3 large cane very bottom of picture (left) large loop should I cut it off?
    I have had this rose about 3 years here in Arizona and it grows well, almost too well
    Thanks for your help

• subk3
    10 years ago

"The large cane that is "Y" shaped(going left) do I take off the two side sm. canes. "

I would. I've found that identifiying a main cane then being adamant that anything that comes off of it is a lateral and dealing with it as such works for me.

I would also take off the main cane that is coming forward away from the support just to tidy the plant up.

If you haven't seen Paul Zimmerman's prunning/training climbers videos on YouTube take a few minutes and do so. Even though I've seen them multiple times I watch them before I tackle my New Dawns since they inspire so much confidence to go forth with sharp prunners! ;-)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Don't think of it as "trimming."

There are so many basal canes that you might want to remove some of them at the base, the oldest ones. This is SOP for pruning established climbers. Usually we recommend starting this in the fourth year and removing 1/3 or 1/4 of the old canes, because young canes tend to bloom better. You can wait another year to start this unless you feel the plant is getting too full and crowded.

Then shorten the primary canes that have outgrown the support and cut all the laterals back.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michaelg- "shorten the primary canes" Some are over 10' long on the fence. So how much do I shorten them? Then retie them back to the fence. Sorry for the questions
    Thanks

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Shorten them if you don't have room for them, if they have outgrown the support. On a fence you may have plenty of room.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you know which ones of those main canes at the base are the oldest you can take out a few of those and it will supposedly encourage it to send up some new basal breaks. I would never take out more than about 1/3 of the canes at the base in any one year though.

As for shortening it, why? Does it need to be shortened? Is there any winter die back on the tips? If not, and you have no real need to make it shorter, I'd just leave it alone.

You may want to try and spread more sideways to encourage more laterals so you'll get more blooms. Otherwise, it looks happy and healthy! Show us a pic when it blooms!

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone I now feel more confident in the decisions on cutting the large canes. I just hate to ruin something I have worked so hard on

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!