Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
view1ny

how is St Patrick doing over the winter?

view1ny NY 6-7
10 years ago

I love the color of this rose, but have read that it is not very hardy in cold areas. Anyone growing this rose & how is it doing over this super-cold winter we're having?

Another question: how does SP hold up in hot, humid weather? Thanks for any info.

Comments (8)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I'm in 6b/7a and mine didn't make it through its first winter. Also, it wasnt so much green for me, as it was cream colored, with a hint of yellow/green. Another problem could have been that it was on Dr. Huey rootstock which doesn't perform well here. It also blackspotted horribly! I think the combination of the three things led to its demise. I hate to be so negative about it, but I just wasn't fond of it :(

Tammy

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy, thanks for your response. I think I need to keep on looking for a winter-hardy yellow rose.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Are you looking specifically for a hybrid tea? My cousin has Midas Touch which has wintered very well for her in zone 6. If a floribunda will due my Julia Child is very hardy!

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've always loved the color of St Patrick (yellow tinged with green) but was scared off by the description as being great in warmer areas. In the summer, NY is very hot & humid but like much of the rest of the US we're having a tough time this winter & I don't think a "tender" rose would survive especially since I would have to plant it in a container as I have no room in the garden.

seil, I love both HTs & floribundas but right now am wondering if I've lost my mind as I really ran out of room on my deck 2 years ago yet I keep on buying roses. It would make me very sad to think that right now I have all the roses I'll ever have. Last summer I bought 3 & I just placed an order at Witherspoon for another 3. I was thinking that as long as I'm going for broke maybe I can fit St Patrick in there. I had my eye on Julia Child as well. By the way, Love Song was one of the roses I just ordered as your pic was so beautiful and you had a good experience with yours.

I had an idea of moving some of the containers off my deck (maybe put them on either side of the steps from street level) to make room for the new roses. Will have to make sure there's enough sun but so far that's the best I've come up with.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Back in CT I kept it alive because it was then and is now my favorite yellow HT. It is a continuous heavy bloomer and the blooms last forever. And they are gorgeous especially when it is cooler and they get that slightly green tint. Here in SoCal it has no problems and doesn't get mildew or rust and it stands up to heat although it does fade in extreme heat. I liked it in CT but I love it here.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

henryinct, how did you keep SP alive over the winter in CT?

• henryinct
    10 years ago

.View1, St. Patrick survived with very good care and the bud union buried deep. I never covered it and some years it got killed to the ground but always it recovered and although it stayed short it was a heavy bloom producer. Also, after many years in the ground, every rose will spring back strong because of its' well developed root system.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

henry, thanks for letting me know. I guess I can leave St Patrick on my wish list.