Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
displacedclevelander_gw

Bloom type: Fully Double and Flat? So confused!

So I am having buyers remorse. A few minutes ago I purchased Waanrobe because it is red and super fragrant (from Heirloom's description).

It's described as having a bloom type that is both fully double and flat. What does that mean? How could it be both?

Tried looking photos up via Google image search but its not yielding that much. It would be helpful if I could look up another type of rose that has the same type of bloom type. Any suggestions?

Not sure if this bloom type "fully double and flat" looks like and is it something you find with Grandifloras? Is this going to be a weird looking rose?

Comments (13)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

"Weird", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you do an Advanced Search for HT or Grandiflora (really no difference), very double with flat bloom form, it provides you with thirty pages of examples. One of the easiest is the rose which is known in commerce as Sombreuil. Very full (double) and flat. Does that give you an idea? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Sombreuil

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Yes, like Sombreuil. Another would be 'Prospero'. I find that form quite beautiful, but as Kim said, eye of the beholder and all that.

{{gwi:222243}}

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Love the photo hoovb!

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Love the photo hoovb!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

From the pictures on HMF it doesn't look particularly flat to me. It's rather pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Waanrode at HMF

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

DisplacedClevelander, "fully double" refers to petal count and "flat" refers to bloom shape. If you go to Advanced Search on HMF and then click Bloom, you will find lists of all the possibilities in those criteria. Hopefully, that will make more sense of it for you.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

This post was edited by sherryocala on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 14:41

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

I can't think of a rose more flat than Austin's Sophy's Rose, which is not only very flat but quite large. I think it's beautiful, and it's interesting to have different shapes of roses. If they were all deep and cupped that would make for a very one-dimensional garden picture.

hoovb, your picture of Prospero is sublime. I had no idea it's that beautiful. The color alone is gorgeous.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of Sombreuil being "fully double and flat".

Jackie

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I have to say, I just don't see Waanrode as flat.

For what it's worth, Dean S. Reynolds Hole's example of "Flat" form was 'Souv. de la Malmaison' -- since that doesn't seem to fit with the rose shown on HMF, I sure wish I could see that rose fully open.

Jeri

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

the flattest, most petaliferous rose I grow is Jacques Cartier aka Marquise Boccella. Nothing beats a plain old single (and therefore somewhat flat) flower shape, for me.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    11 years ago

I would think, flat refers to it not being a high centered bloom typical of most hybrid teas. Unlike those pictured in posts above, the bloom would be well defined but not high centered with the petals opening more horizontal.

• DisplacedClevelander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow.. Thanks everyone. Appreciate the photos and links explaining all of this.

This forum is really fantastic. Not only do people know so so much about roses but everyone is very helpful and I don't feel like a dweeb for asking goofy questions. Cheers to you!

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Think of a Brussels sprout or a small cabbage with the top cut cleanly off with a knife. You have a hemisphere of packed leaves (or petals in the case of a rose bloom) that all top out along a 'flat' line.

Compare that to many hybrid teas, whose blooms, viewed from the side, will have the center petals higher.

The petal edges of flat blooms viewed from the side are straight across. "High-centered" blooms peak in the middle. Hope that helps.