Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael1846

erm...my rose still has leaves and is growing them

michael1846
10 years ago

My rose had a few leaves and now a bunch are emerging! In december! Is this bad? What do I do?

Comments (7)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Not bad, just what roses do sometimes. Exhale. Leave them alone. Even if the leaves freeze off in the next day or so, you will either prune off that growth in March, or they will grow another set when it warms up. It happens.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you've been experiencing a little warm spell that may have triggered the growth. Roses will grow any chance they get. A little sunshine and a few warm days can often start mine off. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often because you know you're going to lose that early bird growth and you don't want it to use up all it's energy on false starts.

• Hrose
    10 years ago

if it does use up all its energy on false starts it will die

happened to one of my roses last year brought it inside too early started budding new leaves as the weather got colder the leaves died then close to spring inside garage got warm quicker then outside temps so started to bud out leaves again so i put it outside the leaves died off because it was too cold when spring finally did arrive the rose did not bud out new leaves looked dead so i shovel pruned it

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I have this happen every year. My roses are in pots in the garage. There was even new nubbins of growth when I uncovered them and watered them yesterday.

I just bend off the nubbins growth. Be ruthless. :) In the spring the roses even get new basal growths in the garage. This just kills me - but I break them off.

Then when they're finally outside - I won't remember all the 'could have been growth' that I got rid of - because the roses look wonderful.

So...if I were you, I would bend off the new growth. I do it for 50 rose bushes - takes some time. But so what. :)

Hope that helps.
    Carol

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you I will wait to take them off its going to snow today and hopefully that will kill the leaves. Also why does everyone say roses are hard to care for ?

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Lol, you just asked the $64,000.00 question! Because they only hear the hype and are scared away. So they never try them for themselves to see that they aren't the prima donas they're touted as. In truth, they are no more or less work than any other perennial in your garden. They need sunlight, water, fertilizer now and again and a pruning about once a year. The same things most people do for their hydrangeas, lilacs, peonies, iris, azaleas and hostas, etc., etc. In fact, when you think about it, your lawn requires more care than roses do!

And people have much too high expectations when they purchase a rose. They expect to see those florist shop perfect roses in their garden. Unrealistic! Those roses are force grown in unnatural conditions that no one can duplicate in a garden setting. And they are meticulously groomed! So people are set up to fail and be disappointed. Hence the myth that roses are so hard to grow.

If you purchase the right roses for your area and don't expect them to look florist shop perfect you'll be much happier and enjoy them more for years to come.

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My bloomed so much 15 buds were killed by snow. it wouldn't quit! The hardest thing I do is spray them with Milk water and kill rose slugs. That just gives me a reason to be outside! I love it that's why I love roses. (Also they took out a greenhouse full of roses for a pop eyes grrrr)