Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Pictures of your favorite Austin roses

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I would love to see your pictures of your favorite Austin roses and their attributes, if you would like to share.

Comments (54)

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

My favorite Austin is Teaclipper. It can be a stingy bloomer, but when it blooms it's a real beauty.

• andreark
    10 years ago

Your photos of DAs are all so exciting....I now have 14. Unfortunately the oldest, Carding Mill, is only 5 months old. so I don't have many photos yet... Next spring, I will certainly take some and post them.

Today is Wed and Friday Munstead Wood should arrive from DA in Texas. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

So far I have only seen blooms on my Falstaff, Lady Emma, Carding Mill, Teasing Georgia, Young Lycidas, and Molineaux. But these were all from very immature plants and were not full size yet. I don't think I have ever anticipated spring as much as I have this winter.

I do have some lovely HTs, but since I've already had 2 seasons to adore them, I'm not as hyped ''about seeing them again as seeing my DAs for the first time, I would guess that now I am really starting to 'love' my roses. Before, I was only 'fond' of them. (Too gooey, huh?)

Thanks for all your photos and Kate, thanks for getting me started with my Austins. Friday I will finally have the blossom that started my quest for these beauties.

andrea

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Two of my favorites are, again, Munstead Wood

{{gwi:222300}}

and the spectacular Lady of Shalott, the overall best of the orange Austins in my garden.

{{gwi:222301}}

I hope you will wind up with some that you like.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Susan and Andrea--I can't wait to see pics of your new Austins this summer. Just be prepared--they often are not very floriferous their first couple years. Patience--and you will eventually be rewarded with incredible beauty!

In the meantime, I'll keep spreading the word about Munstead Wood--til we have one in every garden!

bustopher--I almost added Lady of Shalott as my other favorite Austin, but mine isn't as mature and therefore floriferous as yours is. This is her third year coming up, so I hope she really takes off and blooms like yours does.

I also love Austin's softer roses--like Land's Abe Darby and MZ's Tea-clipper, though that last one is a new one to me. Lovely, however.

Can't wait to see what other beautiful Austins get posted here. His roses are sooooooo photogenic, aren't they!

Kate

• andreark
    10 years ago

Kate,

Someone, when talking about the DA photos, (was it you?) said that they made your heart go pitter pat. (Not a quote exactly) Well, I agree.

And if there is one thing that I have learned, with a little gentle scolding from Kim, is to be more patient. There are two examples that are my roses, one is Olympiad and one is Oregold. They are both now only 2 years in my garden, but they have changed so, that I have apologized to them both often. Olympiad has turned (in only 2 years) into the winner that she is. And Oregold has also changed from an ugly duckling into a lovely young thing.

I am so excited about MW......Soon! I will post a photo of him (why do I think he's a him?) as soon as he arrives. This is as good as Christmas as a kid.

Happy, Happy,

andrea

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I was at the Berkeley Rose Garden last November when I was stopped by The Pilgrim. Probably my favorite yellow austin.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Crown Princess Margareta produces my favorite apricot bloom of any Austin.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Evelyn has the best blended blooms of any Austin that I have photos of.

Jay

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Everyones' photos are just spectacular. Bustopher's Lady of Shallot may convince me to grow her...all those apricot/orange blooms.
    My favorite Austin's may change a bit next year when my Munstead Wood really has a chance to show off, but as of now they are Evelyn, Golden Celebration, Brother Cadfael, and Jude the Obscure. Diane
    Here's Brother Cadfael.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is Evelyn in her pink mode rather than apricot. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is Jude the Obscure. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And here is Golden Celebration. Diane

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Here's Teasing Georgia.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

And her brother, James Galway.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Here are Teasing Georgia & James Galway just hanging out last June.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone's Austins are gorgeous! Love seeing them. Andrea, your enthusiasm is contagious, love it. Appreciate everyone's contributions, keep them coming!

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

I enjoy seeing everyone's beautiful Austins.

Evelyn

{{gwi:217859}}

Bishop's Castle

{{gwi:222302}}

The Alnwick Rose

{{gwi:222303}}

Sharifa Asma

{{gwi:222304}}

Eglantyne

{{gwi:222305}}

{{gwi:222306}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Ohhh--I'm getting faint with delight! It's not just pitty-pat, Andrea--it's a full-fledged SWOON!

They are all so beautiful. Now I want ALL the Austins. Or why can't I at least get neighbors who buy the ones I have no room for. Then I could at least go visiting next door to see them. : )

But the real question is why super-beauties like Golden Celebration and Evelyn and Sharifa Asma can't be more disease-resistant!

I do hope my Pilgrim matures enough next year to really take off. Here is the one cluster of blooms she put out last summer--swoon-worthy, to say the least. I can't even imagine what a pillar covered in Pilgrims will look like--though I imagine View1ny's Teasing Georgia may give a hint of what to expect.

The Pilgrim
    {{gwi:216262}}

It's hard to pick out one beautiful Austin--they are ALL beauties!

Kate

• andreark
    10 years ago

Kate,

When I picked up my last Austin, Falstaff, I was at Regan's (my nursery of choice). I had to go to the 'outback' to find it. They put their newly potted and one or two of a kind out there. I found Falstaff in a sea of plants. But he had a fully opened blossom the likes of which I had never seen. The petal formation and color were spectacular. I was happy that I was alone. I squealed when I saw that gorgeous baby.

Just the photos of the DA roses make me giddy. It actually makes me feel guilty. Until I got on this forum and discovered these roses, my 30 year favorite had been Pristine. My mother was a horticulture major at university and had many beautiful gardens and roses. A huge Peace climber and Crimson Glory that my mother planted in 1955 are still remembered by me.

Then about 30 years ago, I found a Pristine standard at Regan's (yes, the same one) and presented it to my mother for Mother's Day. Pristine was the happiest rose I can imagine, always healthy with shiny green foliage and the MOST beautiful blossoms I had ever seen. Other friends also said it was the most gorgeous rose they had ever seen.

Soooo, now that I am so besotted by the DAs, I feel guilty about loving them so. I have to tell Pristine, Peace, and Brandy that I still love them a bunch.

Sorry about this mushy post. I will post a photo tomorrow of my new MW, even if it is without blossoms.

Have a great weekend all,

andrea

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oh,heck, you guys are all so enthusiastic about Austin's (I love them all), I'll post a few more pics to add to the general gorgeousness of this thread. Diane
    Here's Princess Alexandra of Kent. She's still not mature, so I have high hopes for her.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's Eglantyne who beautiful blooms also fry beautifully in our dry heat. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's Tamora, the dependable parent of Evelyn. Diane

• andreark
    10 years ago

Diane,

I don't usually 'love' pink roses, but PAofK is really beautiful. And she's NOT mature? Wow.

I've been so glum without anything really blooming, that just looking at this thread lifts my spirits.

Thanks again,

andrea

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And, finally, (thanks for sticking with this), here's The Prince (of all he surveys). Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Keep us updated, nana, on PAK as she matures. I've never seen a real one, so must rely on your wonderful pics to get a full sense of how wonderful she must be.

Wow, Andrea, that was quite some story about the development of your love of roses. Probably most of us started off with a Peace- or Pristine-fixation and then broadened out into old and new shrubs of various kinds--but Peace will always have a special place in my heart as one of my earliest loves--like your Pristine.

Kate

• andreark
    10 years ago

These beautiful pics are making me lust for more!!!

And my gardners are going to be digging a new bed this weekend for the 9 that are still in temporary pots and need permanent homes.

Maybe I will just do without grass!....Not really possible, I have two 4-legged critters that need their yard.

Let's see, I have pups, roses, and cheesemaking to love. How much more does a lady need?

andrea

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Austins do look like amazing roses indeed. I have to admit most of the time I am partial to pink roses. I not only love the pinks; the yellows, reds and apricots, they're all just wonderful! The full bush shots are gorgeous.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Don't have any recent pics with me, but I stole these from my FB album.

Heritage is the first one and the oldest Austin I have. I also have a Falstaff and a Scepter D'Isle as well as two Graham Thomas's.

I also have a Princess Anne and Lady Of shalotte coming to me next month from Reagan.

Here is the pic of on of my Graham Thomas's, I love this rose it hasn't grown a lot for me since I planted it last may but I have big hopes for it this season.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

And here is my heritage. This rose has been amazing for me the last 2 years, growing like crazy!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

King Cobb--you have two of the great beauties there. I adore both!

Kate

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    10 years ago

iPad pic so not the best quaility, but here's PAOK back in May, She hasn't been out of bloom since.

Editing to say that she is now 7 feet wide and about 4 feet tall.

Cheers,
    Jo

This post was edited by jo_pyeweed on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 20:13

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    10 years ago

Here's Molineux, a favorite. Hardly out of bloom.

Cheers,
    Jo

• lesmc
    10 years ago

O.K......I`m getting PAOK. Jo, that picture is just beautiful. I always like to see full rosebush pictures before I order a rose. Oh, these snowy days are costing me! Lesley

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Funny...when I joined the forum , Austin 's were out of favor. Someone actually called them the BIg mac and Fries of the rose world. I loved them then...and love them now. I think they are GREAT roses. And I occasionally like a Big Mac! Lol
    Abe Darby ...my first and favorite !

• andreark
    10 years ago

By the way Kate, how did your Molineux fare this summer?

andrea

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Andrea, Molineux and the rest of my garden didn't fare well the last half of summer. Nearly everyday was overcast--no sun--leaves on all the roses got all sorts of leaf diseases and not just BS. After a spectacular spring bloom (never better in my garden), the roses seemed to lose all energy and were quite lackadaisical about putting out blooms. And the worst part was several of my favorite beauties, including one of my Molineux, began slowly dying. Let me tell you--it was the strangest summer--I've never had plants behave the way those plants did.

I used to brag about my 3-in-1 Molineux--made a big beautiful, almost ever-blooming bush. I lost one of them the previous summer (we had over 100 degrees heat most of that summer) but I replaced it the following spring. Then this summer, I lost another Molineux. So I've given up on the 3-in-1 look. There are two Molineux left setting next to each other--I think that will still manage to make a decent statement, so I might just leave it that way. We will just have to see how it looks next summer.

And that is the sad, sad tale of the unexplained rose deaths in my garden (2 other roses also).

I need everybody sending me good wishes for next summer. : (

Kate

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

The photos are gorgeous, and make me wish I could grow Austins, but as even Redoute was bare sticks with a few spotted leaves hanging off, I've given up on them.
    I am filled with envy, but I wish Kate and everyone else good wishes for next summer.
    Trish.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a beauty! I hadn't seen Queen of Sweden, is it an older Austin? Does it repeat bloom? I will have to look it up in my copy of The Rose.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate - I do send you good wishes for next summer.

Maryl - Your Queen of Sweden is so beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing it.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Maryl, your QoS looks unreal! Just breathtaking! The photos of roses on this thread are incredibly enabling. I have QoS on order for spring and I hope mine will mature like yours someday.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Sharifa Asma

• susan4952
    10 years ago

These are all so pretty. I am looking at them with below zero temps and several inches of snow....some of it black!

HURRY spring.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many beautiful contributions. All of you have some gorgeous Austins!

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Maryl, my jaw dropped when I saw the pic of your Queen of Sweden. Simply stunning. Is that one rose bush, or a few planted close together?

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

William Shakespeare 2000 is a great grower and prolific bloomer here:

{{gwi:222311}}

Tamora is my favorite:

{{gwi:222312}}

• lesmc
    10 years ago

I can`t stop coming to this post. Everyones Austins are beyond beautiful.Maryl, how old is your Queen? That is am amazing rose you have there. Harry, that is a lovely photo of Tamora. I just love all of the pictures! Thanks to everyone for sharing. Lesley

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

RE: My picture of Queen of Sweden. This is one bush. Dr. Huey grafted and about 3-4 years old. She will bloom like this for me about twice each spring and then sporadically the rest of the season. Another good thing I like about her is that she's very disease resistant (as well as having a low amount of thorns). She's a winner in my book. I think she's a relatively new introduction (last 10 years or less). Here's a picture of a bloom.......Maryl
    {{gwi:222313}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The close-up of Queen of Sweden is lovely Maryl. Harry, love your Tamora and the color of Shakespeare 2000. I do have a few favorites on here, but when I looked them over I decided there weren't any I don't like, they're all winners!

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

Queen of Sweden

{{gwi:222314}}

Princess Alexandra of Kent

{{gwi:222315}}