Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

What does a high-centered bloom look like?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

On another thread I started, several people commented they did not like "high-centered" blooms. Is this picture of Miss All American Beauty an example of what you mean? Just curious.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 20:23

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Yes, that would be considered a high centered form. The term is usually used to describe roses that have "exhibition form" for showing. They are usually hybrid teas, grandifloras, minifloras or minis but there are some floribundas that can have this form as well. Other forms are called "decorative" and there is a whole range of shapes in those from the singles to the petal packed OGRs with lots of sub categories.

This Dick Clark had pretty good form even if it was a day late and a dollar short for me show!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seil - That gives me a better understanding of what it means. By the way, your Dick Clark bloom is gorgeous!

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

I think that some people will grow roses for each single bloom, even if they are not exhibiting them. Beth, in Nor-Cal has a tremendous collection - she lovingly photos each rose in its perfect flush of beauty. Check out the gallery.
    Others (including myself) are looking at the entire bush, wanting a good flush overall and are less concerned about the perfect form of each individual rose.

Horses for courses and all that.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Think of viewing the bloom from the side: The petals rise to form a peak, a high center.

Many old roses & roses with "old fashioned" form resemble a cabbage cut in half when viewed from the side--lots of petals in a hemisphere that presents a flat "top".

Many modern hybrid teas & floribundas look more like an artichoke viewed sideways--the petals present a peaked, high-centered form compared to the "flat topped" blooms of old fashioned roses.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

There are several modern shrub roses that also have high center blooms. One that I have & really like is Dr. Buck's 'Honey Sweet'. The reason this rose & other roses he hybridized have this high center is that he used some HT's in his program to get different bloom colors & forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Sweet on hmf.com

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Very true, any type of rose can have that form but it's usually associated most with hybrid teas I think. As in a rose having "classic HT form". But there are a lot of HTs that don't have that form either and would be considered more decorative than high centered. And even if a rose has that form the centers aren't always exactly "high" anyway. I get a lot of HTs where the centers are sunken in instead of thrust up. And it seems that happens a lot right around my show season, lol!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm