Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Is a Miniflora the same as a Mini Floribunda?

Hi all,
I have an attractive, small rose -- smaller than a floribunda but bigger than a miniature -- called Mornin' Sunshine. I'd like to get more roses in this size, but don't know the answer to my subject question.
I've seen MS listed among floribundas, but most of those grow much bigger than 18-24", which is what I want.
Thanks!
Sylvia

Comments (3)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

From what I understand, the Mini Flora class was made for roses that are between Miniature and Floribunda -- many roses called "Patio Roses" would also be called Mini Flora. Interestingly, I think many also resemble the earliest Floribundas, which were Polyantha X Hybrid Tea crosses. Keep in mind that where you are, many roses can grow larger than their stated sizes, so you may also find roses of the habit you like among the Polyantha and Miniature classes -- as well as some of the older Floribundas, especially if grown own-root. Of course, others like Kim Rupert would be better able to tell you about that than I can.

:-)

~Christopher

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Mini roses can come in a variety of sizes. The "mini" refers to the miniature bloom, not necessarily the size of the bush.

I have multiple Sweet Dianas (a mini) that grows about 2 feet tall. I also have multiples of another mini called Green Ice--it sprawls and never gets more than 1 to 1.5 feet tall--mostly spreads outward rather than growing upward. Both Sweet Diana and Green Ice have small blooms (the "mini" part).

I've also heard of some minis that have grown much, much taller--though I believe that is not real common in the world of minis. I think you can also get minis that are climbers, though maybe not more than 5-6 ft.

You will just have to read the description of any mini you are interested in in order to determine how tall the bushes will get. And then plan on them getting taller than that--as roses often do in the warmer regions.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I've never heard of the term mini floribunda. The ARS recognized class is Miniflora, all one word. Your Mornin' Sunshine is not on HMF but I did find it at Otto & Sons nursery and it looks like it was introduced in 2014 by Certified Roses. Certified classes it as a floribunda but one that has blooms on the smaller size. They say blooms are 2 x 2 inches. They don't list a plant size but say it has a "spreading habit".

As Kate said, mini and miniflora only applies to the size of the bloom and the leaves, not the size of the plant. I have the mini Softee and it gets over 3 feet tall and wide all the time. There are mini climbers, like Jeanne Lajoie, can get 10 or 12 feet tall. If you are looking for compact plant size you need to look for that trait and not rely on the bloom size to indicate the plant size.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?