Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Twilight Zone Grandiflora

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 21:18

I went to a local nursery looking for roses. They didn't have what I wanted, but they suggested Twilight Zone. I bought it. It's one of those bare roots that they potted, and they sold me potting mix full of good stuff like all kinds of bone and other meal.

I am not sure where to plant it. It's a grandiflora. Not sure what that means.

I love Veterans Honor, and have 3 of those. I love, Our Lady of Guadalupe and have 2 of those. Just ordered a couple on line because the local nursery's stock looked diseased. I ordered Tuscan Sun and Moondance Floribunda. I like the floribundas for the constant color they provide. Our Lady of Guadalupe is one.

I'm worried that this Twilight Zone will grow really tall, so I need to figure out where to put it.

Any info on this breed will be welcome!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Twilight Zone Grandiflora

Nope -- it's not a tall grower -- 4 feet, maybe. But a really nice rose in many ways, especially the nifty color.

Grandifloras is something a marketing person once made up to mean a cluster blooming plant that had blooms in the fashion of a hybrid tea. It really means nothing nowadays. Grandifloras are pretty much interchangeable with hybrid teas in terms of growing habit.

o

Looking forward to seeing the nifty color, as you describe it. I'm going to put that Tuscan Sun near it because the pop of coral and purple is one of my favorites!

Thanks for the grandiflora information. I had no idea!

Suzi

o

Twilight Zone is a great rose. Pretty bloom nice scent. It tends to hold its purple better than say Ebb Tide. However, ET tends to explode with more blossoms but TZ's blooms are bigger.

Great rose you should be happy with it.

o

I think Twilight Zone would look great next to Tuscan Sun. Yellows, blends, and oranges are a natural fit next to purples, I think. Diane
Here's TZ near Julia Child and yellow perennials.

o

You are in zone 7, and me 9a or Sunset 19. It might be hotter here. Your garden looks so lush! The only things really lush here are fig trees!

I'm happy you think Tuscan Sun will be a good pairing with it.

Thanks!

Suzi

o

It's not lush here at all--it's a desert. We get less than 10 inches of total precipitation a year. It's also very hot and dry during the summers here (had a day reach 113 last summer). Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here