Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vsls31712

Soil for new rose garden

VSls31712
10 years ago

I'm very new to roses and want to start off on the right foot. My wife and I have cleared a gravel area for two roses we plan to put in. The soil there was heavy clay and dirty (ex: had concrete and other rock in it). We dug out about 8 inches depth to remove all this and started seeing cleaner dirt, still heavy clay though. I need to fill it with something, but not sure exactly what. We have this company locally and they have these options:

http://www.pioneersand.com/az/top_soil_soil_mixes.htm

Or should I just get some top soil and make my own mix, but with what? I'm open to any suggestions, like I said just want to get started off on the right foot. Thank you in advance.

Vicente

Comments (4)

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

It really depends on where you live I guess. In the houston/galveston area we have a lot of clay. My roses have done wonderful in it.

When I put in my main bed, I did play with improving the soil. I bought a bunch of bags of Lady Bug rose magic.

http://www.ladybugbrand.com/products/Rose-Magic.asp

My roses are doing great for the last 2 years there. If you have the funds to use on it and you are really worried about your soil, go for it.

Most of my roses though that aren't in that bed were just planted in the clay soil and have done well. If clay soil is good enough to be considered some of the best farm land in Texas, I can't really knock it for growing my roses.

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Love those rocks ! Of course it depends on the size of the rocks ... lol.

I garden in glacier debris/subsoil. The slope where my house is located was created by glacier debris ... rock and clay. The house pad was cut out of the slope ... subsoil. The soil on the house pad level where my primary rose garden is located, consists of clay and dense rocks that are mostly no larger than a large marble. This soil goes down far more than two feet and cannot be dug with a shovel.

I have found that the small rocks in the soil create wonderful drainage in clay soil. I have no standing water and the clay holds the moisture longer than sandy soil. I've actually added rocks to clay soil where I have had to backfill to create a more raised bed because in pure clay soil, I have lousy drainage. I stopped complaining about my rocky soil at that point.

The key to a good "planting hole" is good drainage. I perk tested each rose hole I dug to determine whether or not I had good drainage for the rose.

Fill your planting area with water and see how long it takes to drain. If it doesn't drain at least over night ... not "perfect" drainage, but good enough, you need to improve the drainage in your planting area before you go forward. You may end up building raised beds. I really don't know, but drainage issues always dictate the next step.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• VSls31712
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I need to fill the hole with something and don't mind using some of the cleaner clay, but most was pretty dirty from construction debris. I'm going to the nursery tomorrow to by the 3 roses I want so I'll be asking them what they suggest to fill it with. I was thinking of getting some top soil and then mixing in some organic matter and clean clay.

Thanks for the responses.

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

I have adobe. No fun to dig holes in. I toss the dirt from the holes on my driveway and rake it to get the rocks and clods out. I then pour the rose planting mix on top and shovel the pile back and forth to get it mixed. A good workout.t

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21