Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best gloves for pruning

Posted by ard1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 21:36

It seems overwhelming-there are quite a few gloves with gauntlets out there for pruning. Synthetics (West County) Bionic, American Heritage (goatskin with Cowhide gauntlets), etc. I'd appreciate feedback from those of you who have found comfort, protection against thorns, suppleness. They're all a bit of an investment so I'm hoping to get some opinions before making a choice. Thanks, ARD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best gloves for pruning

I've got some terrific gloves -- goatskin on the hand part, with a long gauntlet of rough-out leather.
I think they're called "Rose Lovers" gloves -- available at large SoCal nurseries, and very very long-lasting.
Oh, and last I checked, under $30.

Jeri

o

E-mail me for info on inexpensive goat skin gauntlets.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 1:16

Anything leather. The rose prickles hook themselves on the fabric ones and don't let go easily.

Though the best ones, truly, are anything you can stand wearing for long periods, and don't forget to put on. Yea verily, the unworn glove protecteth not at all.

o

I love the West County Rose Gauntlet. They're suede and have padding on the palm and fingertips.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 8:15

I just go to Home Depot and get the cheap leather work-gloves, have several pairs stashed around the garden.. I wear the leather on my left hand and a cheap cloth glove on my right hand and when I prune and trim I can handle the clippers easily, I grab the cane with my left hand... I keep a large plastic laundry basket near-by and just toss the clippings in it with my left hand... works for me.... sally

o

Goatskin. I prefer Bionic or Tahoe. They aren't cheap but God only gave me two hands which cost a heckuva lot more to replace than a pair of gloves. Not all goatskin gloves are great, though. I must've gotten ahold of a thin-skinned goat this year and threw out a pair of Wells-Lamont after less than a week. Strike It Rich started the holes and Gemini finished them off...

I don't just prune my 100+ roses but also at public rose gardens so my gloves really get a workout.

o

These "Bionic" gloves are too good for me and i am recommending them to you just because they fulfill your requirements as well..

Made up of Cabretta leather and they are designed so ergonomically.
They are loaded with extra padding and comfortable wrist band as well...Check for more details at link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cleanairgardening.com/gloves.html

o

I have wrist/thumb issues and a thumb that is fused in a slightly bent position, like holding a soda can, and the Bionics FIT without hurting it going on. Many times I cannot find a glove to go over that thumb without fighting it, then I don't wear them cause they hurt putting on. I love my Bionics.

o

I finally went and bought a pair of Protector's from Bear Wallow site. I only had regular garden gloves from Walmart and leather ones I picked up at Lowes last year for $5. The leather ones were hard to feel anything in let alone make a cut, and the regular gloves are all tore up now.
I'll see how these work on William Baffin, Westerland, and Maria Stern this spring. They are a little pricey, but look like they'll protect me well without hindering me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Rose Gloves

o

I recently purchased Bionic gloves from
www.gardenwithus.com

I read the directions, and ordered a size large that fits well. The gloves do run large, and you need to measure your hand.

The name on the card I received is Wendy Tilley

Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here