Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterlilyac

best gloves for pruning

ard1
14 years ago

It seems overwhelming-there are quite a few gloves with gauntlets out there for pruning. Synthetics (West County) Bionic, American Heritage (goatskin with Cowhide gauntlets), etc. I'd appreciate feedback from those of you who have found comfort, protection against thorns, suppleness. They're all a bit of an investment so I'm hoping to get some opinions before making a choice. Thanks, ARD

Comments (10)

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I've got some terrific gloves -- goatskin on the hand part, with a long gauntlet of rough-out leather.
    I think they're called "Rose Lovers" gloves -- available at large SoCal nurseries, and very very long-lasting.
    Oh, and last I checked, under $30.

Jeri

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

E-mail me for info on inexpensive goat skin gauntlets.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Anything leather. The rose prickles hook themselves on the fabric ones and don't let go easily.

Though the best ones, truly, are anything you can stand wearing for long periods, and don't forget to put on. Yea verily, the unworn glove protecteth not at all.

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    14 years ago

I love the West County Rose Gauntlet. They're suede and have padding on the palm and fingertips.

• saldut
    14 years ago

I just go to Home Depot and get the cheap leather work-gloves, have several pairs stashed around the garden.. I wear the leather on my left hand and a cheap cloth glove on my right hand and when I prune and trim I can handle the clippers easily, I grab the cane with my left hand... I keep a large plastic laundry basket near-by and just toss the clippings in it with my left hand... works for me.... sally

• Jeannie Cochell
    14 years ago

Goatskin. I prefer Bionic or Tahoe. They aren't cheap but God only gave me two hands which cost a heckuva lot more to replace than a pair of gloves. Not all goatskin gloves are great, though. I must've gotten ahold of a thin-skinned goat this year and threw out a pair of Wells-Lamont after less than a week. Strike It Rich started the holes and Gemini finished them off...

I don't just prune my 100+ roses but also at public rose gardens so my gloves really get a workout.

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

These "Bionic" gloves are too good for me and i am recommending them to you just because they fulfill your requirements as well..

Made up of Cabretta leather and they are designed so ergonomically.
    They are loaded with extra padding and comfortable wrist band as well...Check for more details at link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cleanairgardening.com/gloves.html

• particentral
    14 years ago

I have wrist/thumb issues and a thumb that is fused in a slightly bent position, like holding a soda can, and the Bionics FIT without hurting it going on. Many times I cannot find a glove to go over that thumb without fighting it, then I don't wear them cause they hurt putting on. I love my Bionics.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I finally went and bought a pair of Protector's from Bear Wallow site. I only had regular garden gloves from Walmart and leather ones I picked up at Lowes last year for $5. The leather ones were hard to feel anything in let alone make a cut, and the regular gloves are all tore up now.
    I'll see how these work on William Baffin, Westerland, and Maria Stern this spring. They are a little pricey, but look like they'll protect me well without hindering me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Rose Gloves

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I recently purchased Bionic gloves from
    www.gardenwithus.com

I read the directions, and ordered a size large that fits well. The gloves do run large, and you need to measure your hand.

The name on the card I received is Wendy Tilley

Sammy