Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If You Could Only Have 5 Roses, Which Would They Be?

Posted by TNY78 6b-E TN (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 22:32

I have a sister-in-law who is just now getting into roses (thanks to me), and she was asking which of mine were my favorites. I feel like I always jump around and seem to have about 50 favorites...well she made me really think about it, and pick 5 that I cannot live without. As I've said before, I've only been seriously growing roses for I guess going on four years now, but I've formed some definite opinions. I'm just curious which roses everyone else cannot live without :)

Here's what I narrowed mine down to:

1. Balinda's Dream: has always been healthy and vigorous, and I love the baseball sized blooms!

2. Glamis Castle: I know other's may disagree, but its been healthy and a great repeat bloomer for me!

3. Cinco de Mayo: A new addition this year. I don't think it was ever without a bloom all season, was vigorous, and has a to-die-for candyapple scent!

4. The Burgundian Rose: Although I wish it bloomed more, I still love its little pompom blooms, and small healthy foliage.

5. Mutabilis: VERY healthy, I love its shape, and the way the blooms change color is stunning!

(Souv de St Anne's, Distant Drums, Armide, Rouge Royal, Father Hugo and Louis Phillipe came in just below the cut...)

~Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If You Could Only Have 5 Roses, Which Would They Be?

Cramoisi Superieur, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Ducher, Perle d' Or, Caldwell Pink. Belinda's Dream, and many others are right there. Tomorrow I may change my mind.
Sammy

o

Such a difficult question.
Ingrid Bergman for a red
Eureka for a yellow
Angel Face (assuming I stay in a hot, dry climate)
Gemini--perfection in every way
Pure Poetry, just because

I am sure I could come up with 5 more.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 1:33

In no particular order and as of today:
*Lady Mitchell - Compact red HT
*Our Lady of Guadalupe - Pink floribunda
*Tineke - White HT
*Falling in Love - Pink HT
*Rouge Royale - Crimson HT with large OGR style blooms

o

Very tough! Tomorrow I could just as easily pick a different five--I have so many that I like A LOT.

Felicite Parmentier, alba--for the sheer perfection of her delicate pink flowers and the wafting fragrance

Madame William Paul, moss--fragrance galore in a sea of tightly packed petals of rich pink and topped with a generous supply of moss

Jenny Duval, gallica--a huge display of flowers completely covers the plant in spring, she's quite stunning, fragrant, disease free, and has been in my garden for 18 years

R. alabukensis Tkatsch, species--a cheerful small green mound covered in delightful single yellow spring flowers that make me smile, and the linseed oil fragrance reminds me of healthful food

Baronne Prevost, hybrid perpetual--a blooming machine for me most of the year *without being fed*, the many-petalled pink flowers possess a rich old rose scent

In contention for the top five are: Rosa californica, Rosa spinosissima, Rosa foetida 'Persian Yellow', Mermaid, York and Lancaster, Comtesse O'Gorman, Francois Premier, Henry Nevard, Glendora, Baty's Pink Pillar, Gertrude Jekyll, Apple Blossom, Happy Child, Clotilde Soupert, Golden Border, Stanwell Perpetual, Charles Metroz, Rosa minutifolia, and Baptiste Lafaye. Plus 4 new bareroots from Pickering arrived recently, and I think there will some favorites among them.

Melissa

o

VERY tough question. Made me really think about what I truely enjoy growing. Souv. de la Malmaison, Lady of the Dawn, Louise Estes, Whirlaway, Belinda's Dream. Good bushs, good production, good cut flowers.

o

I have considered this question a long time. I wondered what roses I would take with me if I had to move to a small garden. In my climate with its short season, the most important roses for a long season of bloom are Bonica, Iceberg, Rose de Rescht, Stanwell Perpetual and Gruss an Teplitz but the colour mix would be awful. I would cry my heart out to have to leave the onceflowering roses and the climbers, though.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 11:53

It would probably be a lot easier to the list the 5 I could do without than the 5 I'd have to have. Of course that could be a new thread!

I'd want to keep the ones I still have from Mom's garden. They're all beautiful roses but they also have a ton of sentimental pull.

Pinocchio
Double Delight
Angel Face
Tuscan Sun
Golden Celebration

From my purchases I'd probably pick:

Julia Child
Zenaitta
Brilliant Pink Iceberg
Appleblossom Flower Carpet
Softee

These are the ones that are never or rarely out of bloom for me.

o

Established top 5 picks:

Black Magic or Veteran's Honor
Paradise
Gold Medal
Louise Estes
Hot Princess

New for me last year, still establishing:

Rose' - best 1st year new rose
Tineke - planted bareroot too late in season
Sugar Moon - bareroot very slow waking up
Randy Scott - nice blooms

o

Definitely these old roses - they have all been growing in my garden or nearby in my neighborhood for 70-90 years, and thriving. I either inherited them, or grew them from rooted cuttings:

Anna Olivier (tea): Amazingly beautiful buff/yellow/rose blooms - is still blooming a lot in January. Short climber or bush.

Le Vesuve (tea or china?) Lived for over 90 years - I have a baby I rooted from the old one. Self supporting bush of up to 8 feet. Blooms for 12 months - light variable pink

Belle Portugaise (hybrid gigantica): once blooming 15' climber, but it has the most beautiful blossoms I have ever seen - long, elegant buds, flowers are peach/pink, and almost translucent

banksie lutea (banksie): Would not be without this once blooming 25' climber. Earliest to bloom in my garden (it is setting buds right now). Tiny light yellow roses in clusters - they cover the plant for 2 months - gorgeous. No thorns, and attractive when out of bloom.

Madame Alfred Carriere (tea noisette): Climbs up to 20 feet. I have planted several of these, because they bloom happily in partial shade, and grow up anything. Mine are all still blooming now. White roses tinged with pink.

All of the above roses thrive in our climate with no spraying, hardly any pruning, and feeding once a year, and mulching heavily once a year.

Jackie

o

Hard question! I think these are the roses I like best in my garden... Archduke Charles, Pope John Paul II, Koko Loco, Iceberg & Gemini. The grow like weeds and bloom pretty much continuously.

o

• Posted by TNY78 6b-E TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 14:12

I love seeing all these favorites! Its also interesting to see some of the same roses repeated.

And Seil...trust me, I have a list of roses that are at risk of being shovel pruned this spring....either shape up, or ship out!

o
My 5 Roses Would Be...

Aloha
Don Juan
Othello
Fisherman's Friend
William Shakespeare 2000

o

In my Louisville, KY. garden, zone 6 I love my Guinevere, Cherry Parfait, Tiffany,Apricot Candy and Braveheart. I tried to name different colors as it is so hard to choose. I can`t wait to read everyones selections. Lesley

o

At the moment.....

Mutabilis
Belinda's Dream
Le Vesuve
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Yves Piaget

o

1. Signature! Sooo beautiful, plenty of blooms, and a nice, moderate fragrance.

2. Brigadoon! Delightful, plentiful blooms with a nice moderate fragrance, too.

3. Black Magic, or Veterans Honor, or Fairest One, or Double Delight. It's just too hard to choose between these reds...sigh. :P

4. Barbra Streisand--Ohhh the fragrance!

5. Mikado! The bloom's beautiful, luminous color are just awesome!

Gads, then there is Koko Loco with the interesting color changes it's blooms go through. But you said just 5 roses, so there you have it!!! I won't add it in. ;-)

o

Fragrant Apricot
Royal Wedding
Marlowe Soft Orange - climber
Carding Mill
Honeysweet

My favorites - of which there are many more! - are mostly apricots. I do love other colors, but I just cant resist the beautiful pure apricot color. Honeysweet is a combination of colors and is unlike any other color. Maybe we should do a 5 favorite rose choice in all the colors......
Judith

o

1. EVELYN - I love everything about this rose: the name, the shape of those big blooms, the canes, the leaves and the moderate scent. It repeats okay for me. It would be a perfect rose if the colour doesn't fade or the shape of the blooms stay consistent.

2. FELICITE PARMENTIER - A once bloomer, but I was surprised that this rose bloomed longer than Duchesse de Montebello (a rose that I also love). However, if I have to choose between the two, I would select Felicite Parmentier since everyone on this forum raves about the scent. The only thing I don't like about FP is those nasty thorns. FP requires support/staking and not as well disciplined as compared to DdM.

3. COMTE DE CHAMPAGNE - This rose is looking healthy again ever since I'd pulled off all its leaves due to black spot and mites infestation. What I like about this rose is those cute small blooms and I have made the shrub very compact, so if I ever decide to move again, I will bring this rose along.

4 and 5. Hoping that 'MAID MARION' and 'Wollerton Old Hall' could make it to our shore. Love the look of those roses in photos.

o

Jude the Obscure
Yves Piaget
Scepter'd Isle
St Cecelia
Wollerton Old Hall

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 11:33

At this moment I'd say:

RED INTUITION
SIMSALABIM
IRISH CREME
ROEDEAN
TOM BROWN

(stripeys and oddballs...)

o

"Grandmother's Hat"
'Louis Philippe'
'Mme. Berkeley'
'Niles Cochet'

(ONLY 5?)
'Rosette Delizy'?
'Mons. Tillier'?
"Elisabeth's China"?
'Reve d'Or'?
"Setzer Noisette"?
"Roseville Noisette"?
'White Pearl In Red Dragon's Mouth' (attrib., Le Rougetel)?

And looking ahead to things like "Legacy Of The Richardson Family," and "La Dama Blanca" (?Gloire Lyonnaise?), "Cemetery Musk", "Durst Plot" and several other candidates.

Jeri

o

Very tough of course, but I'd have to say:
Maman Cochet (plus all her sports I'm counting as 1!)
Iceberg
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Mme Joseph Schwartz (and her sister Duchesse de Brabant I'm counting as 1)
Safrano

o

Let's see
Uncle Joe
St Patrick
Graham Thomas
Edisto
Tiffany Lynn
Next five
Pope John Paul II
Whirlaway
Pierine
Jean Kenneally
Irresistible
These are all show winners!

o

Told you it was hard. Next 5; Pink pet, Tiffany Lynn, Soroptimist International, SunStruck, Moonstone. :P

o

1. Betty White!!!!!! Wonderful fragrance, full sumptuous pink huge blooms with lots of repeat.

2. Neptune Same as above except for color and not as stuffed.

3. Oklahoma - Huge perfumy flowers, prolific with quick repeat

4. Enchanted Evening - whole bush covered in flowers. Just glows in the evening. Everyone gravitates to it. Repeat is a bit slower than the above mentioned.

5. Paradise Found - I love the fragrance - very unusual. The color and repeat ability are wonderful!!!!

Carol

o

Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 18:49

That's cheating Ken :)

Although, I really do love some of my others too!

Super Dorothy
Red Headed Stranger
Phyllis Bide
Paw Maw
Mademoiselle de Sombreuil
Leander (although its getting a littler bigger than I would prefer...might need to move it)

o

Five?! That is a tough one, but my nose tells me I cannot possibly live without:
1. Jude the Obscure
2. Evelyn
3. Abraham Darby
4. Sharifa asma
5. Golden Celebration

o

R,moyesii, I love this rose. It lights up the entire bottom end of my allotment for a few special weeks in June. Then there are heps.
R.primula - my first wildling and still one of the best.
Iceberg - yes, a cliche but there is nothing to beat the grace asnd longevity of these wonderful white blooms. The climbing form is even better.
Moonlight - one of the earliest Pemberton musks and, imo, one of the best. graceful, arching and healthy.
Dounble White - I have a weakness for white roses so it was a toss up between this little spin or Altaica and even the lovely pink Falkland. Double white still has it all though.
I know it is one more but hats off to Nevada (and I have not even mentioned Pedro Dot's other masterpiece and special fave of mine, Madame Gregoire Staechelin, aka Spanish Beauty.

o

Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 13:18

Campanula...you just convinced me to buy R. Moyesii! I rec'd a High Country Roses gift certificate for Christmas and have been pondering over which roses I want to buy with it, and R. Moyesii just made the cut...you're right, very beautiful (and unique) hips!!

~Tammy

o

1. 'Iceberg' (the quickest repeat ever)
2. 'Pope John Paul II' (completely healthy, which is usual for a white Hybrid Tea, strong citrus fragrance)
3. 'Pierre de Ronsard' (most romantic humongous white blooms with a pink center)
4. 'Sweetness' (completely healthy, which is amazing for a lavender colored HT, strong citrus scent)
5. 'Georgetown Tea' (Vintage Gardens clone), the beauty of the blooms of the Tea rose is just striking

Christina

o

More than likely, all five would be roses of my own creation. Narrowing them down to five would be the hardest part. I know the first three would be Annie Laurie McDowell, Lynnie and Nessie. The last two slots are quite difficult. Should they be Lauren, Carlin's Rhythm, Too Cute, Little Butterfly, Quinceanera, one of the unnamed seedlings coming along under evaluation, the rose named for me, or? That's too difficult to choose! Kim

o

1. Evelyn

After thinking lots about this, I've concluded that there other roses I like a lot, but only one I couldn't be without. Diane

o

Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 20:58

Kim, I have to say, I bet your list is near and dear to your heart :) That must be an amazing feeling to know that you created a new rose. The only one I have of yours currently is Rayon Butterflies, which I love (I also have Kim Rupert..so mossy and beautiful). This spring I plan on adding Purple Buttons & Little Butterfly to my collection as well.

o

Thank you! Yes, they are near and dear. I can't tell you how many dozens I've given away in the past year to make sure my "babies" got into the ground. Not that the others weren't ones I enjoyed or that they didn't do well, but these are "mine" and need to be in my garden. I always enjoy hearing how they do for other people in their gardens. It's the only real way to find out what to expect from them, so please feel free to share. I may have to hit you up for cuttings of Rayon Butterflies, if possible. The vermin haven't been kind to it and I'm not sure how it's going to come out of "winter". Thanks! Kim

o

Thank you! Yes, they are near and dear. I can't tell you how many dozens I've given away in the past year to make sure my "babies" got into the ground. Not that the others weren't ones I enjoyed or that they didn't do well, but these are "mine" and need to be in my garden. I always enjoy hearing how they do for other people in their gardens. It's the only real way to find out what to expect from them, so please feel free to share. I may have to hit you up for cuttings of Rayon Butterflies, if possible. The vermin haven't been kind to it and I'm not sure how it's going to come out of "winter". Thanks! Kim

o

This, of course, changes frequently. If only 5, for me they'll have to be big:

Over the Moon
Pope John Paul II or Sugar Moon
Blue Moon
Veteran's Honor or Beloved
Bride's Dream

o

Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 0:13

Kim, Mine is still small, but I should be able to get some cuttings off of it if you need them. Just let me know.
~Tammy

o

Thank you, Tammy! I'm watching this one until next summer. Hopefully, it will respond well to all I've tried to do for it. Between being stressed in a pot of depleted soil far too long; being planted in a rather difficult place which will be good for it in the long run, but harsh while it's still recovering; the mole loosening what soil there was in the space and the rabbits and squirrels coming up the hill right past it and nibbling as they go, it's definitely having its problems. Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind. Kim

o

Sammy broke my heart mentioning my favorite "Souvenir de la Malmaison" -- It is a huge climber now. I have 24 knockouts and 8 double knockouts. I have an Abraham Lincoln that has come back on his own after being chopped down. I also have an old bourbon rose that I love. Plus, I have one huge yellow hybrid that I have no idea what it is, but it produces humongous cut blossoms every year.

o

I like the way Jaspermplants thinks. Here goes but it's an exercise in futility.

Souv de la Malmaison
Le Vesuve
Mme Abel Chatenay
Maman Cochet, Climbing
Louis Philippe

But then there's Leonie Lamesch, Reve d'Or, Borderer, White Pet, Bermuda's Anna Olivier, Duquesa, Marchesa Bocella, Mme Lombard... There might be more when they grow up.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

1-St. swithurn David Austin rose on multi flora root stock,
2-Crocus Rose David Austin rose .
3-The Herbalist David Austin Rose also on multi Flora root stock. 4 -Earth Song a Dr, Griffin Buck rose. 5-Rio Samba what a show all summer.

o

That's always such a tough question - and if you ask me tomorrow (or when certain roses are in bloom) my answer might be different. But off the top of my head, and without any roses to look a since they are all in winter sleep, I'd say:

1. Heritage
2. Jude the Obscure
3. Quietness
4. Munstead Wood
5. Prairie Sunrise

o

1. Marchesa Boccella
2. Cramoisi Superieur
3. the bourbon rose mistakenly known as "Mme. DuBost"
4. Prosperity
5. Mirandy? The Bishop? Comte deChambord? Duchess of Brabant?

o

My Five Fav, for now,
1. Madame Isaac Perrier
2. A Shropshire Lad
3. Parade
4. Peace(climbing)
5. Moonstone

Special mention, Madame Alfred Carriere

o

If I could only have five roses, I would fall into a serious depression.

Rosefolly

o

Oh I hate these questions. Its like the genie in the lamp 3 wishes. Ah well here goes

Tiffany ( sentimental reasons)

Gruss an Aachen (most flowers on a plant that's too good to be true)

My frilly pink sport from my Medallion ( as far as I know she's one of a kind in this world)

Sonia Rykiel ( this is what I consider a perfect rose bloom to be)

Pope John Paul II ( I would say Honor but JPJ wins out for fragrance and bloom production)

That was agonizing! 5 is too small a number!!!!!!!!!

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 16:42

This is really hard, but here goes---- Don Juan, Maggie, Louis Philippe, China Doll, and Julia Child...no BS, fragrant, and constant bloom....also, no spray....sally

o

I grow about 200 roses in my workplace garden, so my garden at home is much smaller, with just 12 roses. in part, I chose the varieties in the front yard so their bloom colors harmonized with each other. Of my front yard roses, I grow all but two of the same varieties in my garden at work.

Front yard roses:
Rouge Royale-- love the fragrance, raspberry red color and old fashioned style bloom
Madame Isaac Periere-- love the fragrance, old fashioned bloom

Mystic Beauty-- in bloom constantly April - November, love the shape of the bush, love the flat-face blooms
Verdun--it was given to me when my mother died. A sweet little polyantha that fits the color scheme
Double Delight tree rose--Love the strawberry red and white blooms, love the fragrance
Cl. First Prize--I rooted this from a bouquet given to me by a friend who
died a few months later. A sentimental favorite that I keep it because it's difficult to find. Love those huge pink shaded blooms, too.
2 Sweet Chariot tree roses-- so sweet and cute, full, round globes of fragrant deep pink blooms.

Back yard roses --
Four Knockouts and 2 unidentified foundlings -- these guys are pretty much on their own. No spray, water from the sky, though I do water once a week during dry spells. Yeah, I love Knockout.

The foundlings-- I keep these mainly to keep them from being totally lost.

o

Borderer
Cramoisi Superieur
Old Blush Cl.
Fakir's Delight
Malvern Hills

o

Whatever likes my alkaline soil and gives me fragrant cut flowers for 3 days: Golden celebration, Wise Portia, Radio Times, Mary Magdalene, and Lady Emma Hamilton. Austins give me more cut flowers than the hybrid teas that I used to grow.

o

I'd have to choose five Old Roses and five Modern Roses; they're in the order they came to mind:

*Old Roses

'Souvenir de la Malmaison'
'Anna Olivier'
'Leonie Lamesch'
'Lady Roberts'
Rosa hemisphaerica 'Multiplex'

*Modern Roses

'Bambi'
'Ivory Fashion'
'Ripples'
'Peach Beauty'
"Zalud House Shingled"

All of the above are ones which make my heart leap when I see a bud opening. There are others (such as 'Rose du Roi', 'Ma Perkins', 'Faberge', 'Winter Magic', and lots of others old and new) just as beloved by me, which however have all flowers so much alike that each flower is not an "event," unlike the above with which each blossom seems to be its own work of art, its own special favor from God's handiwork.

o

Kitty, if you're still following this thread, do you have a picture of your Medalion sport? It sounds lovely.

o

Rouge Royale
Yves Piaget
Perle d or
Firefighter
Valencia

o

I would pick roses that are unusual, or do well in my garden, or old time favorite.

Double Delight - fragrance and colors, old time favorite
Sterling Silver - fragrance and color, old time favorite
Brandy - does well and like the color
Oranges 'n Lemons - unusual
Scentimental - does really well and unusual

Clare

o

Pure Poetry
Yves Piaget
WS2000
Chicago Peace
Hot Cocoa
Lavaglut

Anywhere I move to, these would always have a place in the garden of my new home.

o

This would be really hard to imagine. I would need medication AND a 'live-in' analyst.

Heirloom. Mrs. Dudley Cross. Mrs. B.R. Cant. Benjamin Britton. The Dark Lady.

...today, ask me tomorrow and it would change. i know i play 'favorites'!! :)

o

wow, great question, i currently have 120, so it blows my mind to narrow it down to only five, lol, here goes: wildfire,tineke,double delight,black baccarra

o

Fragrant Cloud
Valencia
Parole
Sweet Chariot
Mme Alfred Carriere OR Lamarque

o

Wow...an old thread that seems very popular. Guess I'll chime in.

In no particular order...
Top 5
Double Delight
Liebeszauber
Gruss an Aachen
Chicago Peace
Tamora
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next 5

Distant Drums
Love and Peace
Abraham Darby
Frederic Mistral
John Davis

o

Today's list looks like this; Tineke, Abe. Darby, Whirlaway, Pink Pet, Verdun.

o

All these responses make me KNOW that I am totally ignorant!!

I have so few, but I don't know how Brandy didn't make it on any of your lists. I realize that it looks as though it's made of cloth, but such beautiful cloth. And it lasts beautifully for a week or more.

Novice (obviously) AK

o
Brandy

Lol, Andreark. I've pined for Brandy for years! Wild about the coloring of her blooms in all the photos I've seen of her. But I am too chicken to order her as I suspect she's just too tender to grow here. Drats! :P Glad to hear you really enjoy yours! :)

o

In my first few two years of rose gardening I could easily answer this question. Now over 130 roses, I couldn't possibly narrow the list down to 5. I could not live with only 5 roses. You'd have to shoot me. I might be able to narrow it to 20. I could name 40 comfortably.

o

Double Delight, angel Face, Lemon Spice, PJP II, Abe Darby, and all of the above.

o

Shoot you? No way, Harmony. We like you too much! :)

Hehe...Good one Susan! :)

o

OK--I'll join in. My criteria: very disease resistant, very floriferous, and blooms make my heart go pitty-pat!

1. Molineux--adore the golden and apricot shades in these blooms. Very floriferous.

2. Buff Beauty--actually, I wish it were more floriferous throughout the season, but when it blooms, it is the only rose in my garden that strangers actually stop their cars to admire and tell me they adore it.

3. WS2000 or Braveheart--can't decide which one. Love both their reds. (Braveheart has Dark Lady in its background--and blooms more, but WS2000 has the most gorgeous blooms.) Have to flip a coin on this one.

4. Elina--talk about floriferous! And disease-resistant.

5. Lady of Shalott--maybe. But I just planted Munstead Wood which I'm sure I will adore, so I can't quite make up my mind--but I already know I love the color of the Shalott blooms (and the bush is very disease-resistant), so I'll probably go with it.

But--but--but---what about Mystic Beauty or Red Intuition or . . . .

This is just too hard!

Kate : )

o

NEw day= NEw 5????

o

Here is my five roses. However this is the third time I've named them in the last 10 minutes.
Princess de Monaco
Peace
Strike it Rich
Irish Gold
Uncle Joe (Torro)

o

Crepuscule
Reve d'Or
Louis Phillipe
The Charlestonian
Buff Beauty

o

A cruel question, but I'll give it a try:

Young Lycidas
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Le Vesuve
Belinda's Dream
Potter and Moore

Runners-up (Sorry, I can't help it)

Mrs. Dudley Cross
Aunt Margy's Rose
William R. Smith
Cl. Lady Hillingdon
Souvenir de President Carnot

o

Any five that would live more than 5 years, bloom almost all summer would be my favorite.

Right now that is fairy rose, knockouts and carpet rose.

o

this is tough! because I have a very limited knowledge of roses still my choices are completely based on color!

World War II Memorial Rose
Silver Shadows (gorgeous)
Double Delight
Americana
Just Joey

I wouldn't say the color combination would be nice if planted in one area but they are all so beautiful!

o

Wow, this question is kind of sadistic to think about. I got it down to eight okay, but cutting the final three was horrid. But, here goes. My criteria are first, that the rose inspires passion within me. Second, that it have a wonderful fragrance. Also a bonus, if it has a good story to tell, either in its origins, its historical associations, or as a last resort its name.

1) by far my very favorite rose, for both appearance and fragrance, and in my opinion very greatly neglected--Geranium Red.

2) The beautiful and perfect Souvenir de la Malmaison.

3) The large and lovely and healthy Charles Darwin--also, the petals are quite edible as they are not as bitter as most rose petals are.

4) Gruss an Aachen, mainly because it changes so much in both shading and fragrance that it would be like having more than one rose.

5) Julia Child, mainly for its persistant and consistant fragrance, and its extreme health and constant blooming.

The three I agonized over are Quietness and September Morn, which lost out mainly because of the similarity of their blossoms to SDLM, and the Apothecary's Rose, which a friend of mine has and I figured I would be able to go over and see hers when it is in season.

o

Several years ago there was a post just like this, and enough people mentioned Chrysler Imperial that I went out and bought it. And I have to say I love mine and would hate to be without it! Others I couldn't want to live without: Iceberg, Mdme. Alfred Carriere, Prospero, and Distant Drums. Darlow's Enigma comes in pretty close, and I still miss Sparrieshoop - a rose I gave away a few years ago because I didn't have a large enough space for it.

o

In my Texas garden these beauties just keep pumping out the blooms-
1. Abe Darby
2. Belinda's Dream
3. SDLM
4. Maggie
5. Dublin Bay

o

In no particular order of course:
Eden (for the spring flush)
Young Lycidas (never without blooms on the plant in between flushes)
Lady Emma Hamilton (compact and fragrant)
Baronne Prevost (first rose to bloom--in Feb.)
Magnificent Perfume (not the healthiest plant but the hokum of its ravishing perfume is distracting: it demands one to inhale it!)

o

So, I am looking for roses which are an integral and essential part of my garden style. I have a terrific weakness for white roses but could compensate for many of them with philadelphus, exochorda, deutzias, magnolias.Abundant fruit blossom can always stand in for the ramblers which carouse about the allotment, hanging off numerous tatty structures. So, I am thinking about roses which are a bit unique yet an absolute necessity. With only 5, the requirement for immense health and vigour is not so pressing.
So: Cardinal Hume, a little Harkness rose finds a home all over the allotment - its colour is slightly variable, sometimes a rich crimson and sometimes a beetrooty purple. A sprawly but not quite procumbent, this rose always sits well with perennials, bulbs and even vegetables.
East Anglia is a dry and windy part of the UK - a class of roses which are always welcome - the pimpinellifolias. Any of these would do but, to choose one, I would have the blush pink 'Falkland'. And partnering it, I would have to have one of the spring bloomers - and what other than our iconic local beauty, Cantabridgiensis (born less than a mile away). These unassuming roses fit in scree gardens, amongst grasses and tall perennials such as fennel, angelica, require little water and feeding (none, really, part from a yearly topdressing of compost). Their contrasting architecture (hummocky and twiggily rounded or angular but having a gamine elegance, coltish and eager (Gah, pseuds corner alert!).
I have only 2 true red roses and would have to select one of them. Although they are both once-flowering with fantastic heps, Scharlachglut just edges R.moyesii (see what I am doing here, get to mention 2 for the price of one).
Final choice, not a surprise, would be my beloved Spanish beauty, Madame Gregoire Staechelin - my gateway rose and breakaway from a fervant loyalty to the single rose. I actually rather despised Hybrid Teas (I am more tolerant now) until MGS was given to me by a nursery-owning friend. However, the pale, matte green leaves and the early languid flowers were too louche to have anything of the stiffly plasticated 'modern' rose. The amazing apple sized heps were an added bonus because by then, I was deep into G.S.Thomas. Ellen Wilmott and a revived Gertrude Jekyll (I found her colour theming a tad prescriptive, but on roses....)
I checked back on an earlier posting....and noted a definite congruence...not sure whether to feel pleased with my consistency, or despairing at the whiff of complacency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here