Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Your Favorite Pink David Austin Roses

I have the following [Princess Anne, Charles Rennie McIntosh, Ambridge Rose, James Galway, Scepter d'Isle, Bishop's Castle, England's Rose, Mary Rose,Sister Elizabeth, Lady of Megginch]. Some are young and just getting started, but the older ones are very healthy and are wonderful bloomers. I want to add a few more - am considering Princess Alexander of Kent, Heritage and ?? Can anyone comment on these 2 roses, and are there any other pinks I am missing out on that I should have? I live in east Texas, 2 hours from Houston.
Thanks!
Judith

Comments (53)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the words on 'James Galway' and 'Scepter d'Isle'. Hadn't researched Galway's size. Have heard Scepter is the best bloomer of all Austins. I'll have to look up 'Englands Rose' - the one pic I saw looked ivory blushed pink. Gorgeous.

Think I need to make a trip up to San Jose's municipal rose garden this spring and see these beauties in person.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Just another word on Heritage. When I grew it in the U.K. it was beautiful. I couldn't fault it. When I tried it here in the Mediterranean however, the blooms shattered very quickly.
    I gave it away.
    Daisy

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

I have Brother Cadfael, James Galway, 2 Princess of Alex Kent, Lady of Megginch & Heritage.

The pics in the catalog are stunning for all of them. However, the only one I love is James Galway. Heritage blooms shatter within the day. I was kicking myself last summer for not cutting 2 just-opened Heritage blooms one morning as they were gone by late afternoon. I'm hoping that with time this situation will improve as I just bought Heritage in June & it was the first summer in my garden.

BC, PAOK & LOM are disappointing & just sit there not doing much.

OP, best of luck with whatever you choose. Let us know how it all works out.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

If Mary Rose does well for you, you could look at its paler sport, Redoute. Mines only a year or so old, but the colour is quite pretty..a pearly mid pink. From what I have heard, its pretty much exactly the same as Mary Rose, apart from the colour.

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

I love Heritage. The blooms don't last long in summer heat, but it's a beautiful rose. I grow mine in a spot where it does not get all day sun, does well there.

Mortimer Sackler is a wonderful rose. It has a lovely sweet fragrance and elegant blooms.

The Alnwick rose has good repeat bloom, and the fragrance is superb.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Queen of Sweden has one of the most gorgeous blooms of all the DA roses--wonderful pastel pink with just a hint of apricot. She also has good disease-resistance. My only real complaint is that she is a bit slow on the re-bloom rate.

As mentioned above, she is more upright growing. Mine grows to about 5 ft tall, but is easily trimmable to about 4 ft if you so desire.

Mortimer Sackler is a good pink, although the blooms are not as shapely as the Queen's are. He has good disease-resistance also and like Queen, a bit slow on the re-bloom. Main thing about Morty is that he is TALL--would like to be a climber, but I keep trimming off those tall canes, so he is a tall shrub for me. Fine if you want a tall shrub--which I do.

I'm glad to hear prettypetals's Anne Boleyn (a shortie) is doing so well. The little blooms are an exquisite shade of pink/peach (with a dot of yellow at the base), but she is not a heavy bloomer nor a good re-bloomer in my garden. In fact, she has been a weakly plant from the beginning--I've had her about 5 years. Hopefully, next year she will finally "grow up" and bloom the way a DA rose ought to?

As for Boscabel, wish I had room to plant one. Same for Princess Alexandra of Kent. Do show us pics when you do get them.

Kate

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Belle Story, because it doesn't look like the others.

I have Heritage, I don't take good care of it (It is competing with a lilac), but it is tough, and still puts out a bloom or two. It would do much better in full sun, and with a lot of space.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

I have Peach Blossom, Claire Rose, Eglantyne, and Sir Edward Elgar. In my garden the clear pick is Sir Edward Elgar. It is a bright, electric pink and blooms well. Eglantyne is the most fragrant, but it is spotty and scarce when it comes to flowering. Peach Blossom and Claire Rose do not reflower well at all for me.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have only two that are blooming, Bishop's Castle and Potter and Moore, Chaucer and Pretty Jessica being too young. Also The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild, by the way, which is very gangly but still young, which I'm anxious to see bloom this spring. I love Bishop's Castle and Potter and Moore.

Ingrid

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

I've grown 3 for about 15 years. They do shatter quickly, smell great, lots of blooms, but not a good cutting rose.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have nixed Sweet Juliet - and not sure if I should get Heritage - but the one I saw in my area was huge and just covered in beautiful pink blooms, so may try it. I forgot to add I have an own root Belle Story - love this one. Hoping it will grow more this year, it was new last year. No one has mentioned Strawberry Hill - any opinions on that one? I read it gets quite large - don't want those octopus arms, though I don't mind a large shrub. I will definitely post photos when these start blooming. Princess Anne barely bloomed last year, but the bush is growing really well - so hoping it will step it up this year.
    Judith

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Thumbs up (way up) on Princess Alex of Kent. Great rose here. Blooms are really big and the plant is healther and vigorous.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I grow a few pink Austins. These are the keepers in my garden so far. Queen of Sweden is a must have. The Wedgwood is a good pink for me. Large soft pink blooms that smell great. Easy to keep at 4 ft. Cut the long canes back to 3 ft and the bush fills in nicely. Princess Alexandra of Kent was new to my garden last year but I do like what I've seen so far. I've been growing Scepter d'Isle for probably 15 yrs now. In Florida it was grafted on to fortuniana root stock. HUGE bush that was in bloom all the time with long cutting stems. My bush up here in GA. is also on fortuniana. Same results.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

It's too early to speak definitively, but I like Wildeve a lot so far. My mom got it last year and it has produced some great blooms on what I woul call a Hybrid Muskesque lax shrub. So far 5.5' was the max length of any cane I can recall and that was one of the first canes it threw out. It seems like it might do nicely along a split rail fence, but it's a nice stand alone shrub as well. No disease issues yet, regular rebloom time. Reminds me of Crocus Rose on a slightly lesser scale as far as the shrub, and a mix of Mary Rose and A Shropshire Lad as regards the bloom.

I don't see many others mentioning it. It may be one of those Austins that never got due publicity initially even though it's not that old.

Jay

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jay, forgot to mention I also have Wildeve - bought it for $5 in a 3 gallon from Chamblees' sale bin. Havent planted it yet - just got it in November. I have a long fence in front of my house - sounds like that will be a good place to put it. Didn't realize it got that big. Am wondering how large Princess Alexandra of Kent gets - think I am going to try this one.
    Judith

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Princess Alex is normal rose size for me. Around 5 feet. But it's only been out a year or two, so who really knows what it does when it gets good and rootful.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Most of the canes haven't reached out that far, but the fact that a few have made me plan accordingly. Austins certainly have the reputation of exceeding the "listed growth."

Jay

• marcia_oakland
    10 years ago

I don't see Sharifa Asma mentioned here. It's a lovely rose, and very vigorous here in the San Francisco East Bay.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have two favorite pinks, favorites with reservations. Eglantyne really isn't good in a hot, dry climate like mine, but I have one anyway (down from three). The delicate blooms can't take our dry heat, but I've grown this rose since the year she came on the market, and I think I'll always have one. I have also grown Brother Cadfael since he was introduced and will always grow him. Most of the time, he's great, but last year, the heat came early and his blooms balled. In all the years I've grown BC, this was the only time this has happened.
    Here is Eglantyne. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's Brother Cadfael. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I forgot Princess Alexandra of Kent who is not mature yet, but I predict will be an excellent rose here. Diane

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Oh, what beautiful roses you grow, Diane! They look incredible. Can I ask you what is your secret? Every photo that you posted of the whole bush takes my breath away.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thank you for your comments, kousa, but my roses are no better than those of others and sometimes a lot worse! I just don't take pics of my flops--that's the secret. Diane

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    10 years ago

Judith - in case you are still following this thread, here's some information on Strawberry Hill. In my garden, it does indeed throw out long and thin canes. Summers here are cool and winters mild, and I generally don't have a problem with octopus canes.

I first attempted to prune the canes short but this resulted in a lot of long twiggy growth and I ended up with beautiful trusses of flowers face down in the mud. I finally gave up and, last September, fanned the long canes out against a fence and now grow Strawberry Hill as a short climber.

The flowers are gorgeous and in shades of pink, peach and lilac depending on the weather. The fragrance is powerful and pleasing.

It's a very floriferous rose, but is prone to powdery mildew and end-of-year rust in my garden. It has very beautiful glossy foliage, otherwise.

Here's a pic of the bloom from yesterday. The fragrance is intense -better than in summer.

Cheers,

Jo

And, oh, it has deceptively sharp and wicked thorns that will grab and hurt you. I work extremely cautiously when around this rose.

This post was edited by jo_pyeweed on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 21:40

• lori_elf z6b MD
    10 years ago

I like Heritage and it blooms a lot here, even if individual blooms don't last long it is almost always in bloom. But Sharifa Asma has stolen my heart. She has intensely strong fragrance and lasts better as a cut flower on a more medium sized bush.

• zone6-nj
    10 years ago

I have a few pinks, but only one that you mentioned - heritage.

Heritage is amazing, the growth habit is actually very nice, and this is just based off one years growth from a chamblees one gallon. The scent is beautiful, and surpsingly the blooms lasted up to three days with me over here. I have on order for spring:
    Princess Alexandrea of Kent
    Strawberry hill
    James galway
    Lady of Megginch
    St swithun

And a few others for next spring, which it heard good things about.

My own root Eglantyne from chamblees only had two blooms in its first season, and the scent wasn't that strong but I assume it will get stronger as time passes and it will bloom more. I can only comment on:

Radio times: I don't care how many thorns it has or how easily susceptible to black spot it is, the blooms and STRONG fragrance that makes this a keeper in my garden. It's always in bloom, even when everything goes dormant in the summer heat.

Sharifa Asma: though the blooms can fade in heat and the leaves look weird, I guess it had blackspot, the fragrance is amazing. It wafts so far, it's unbelievable.

Brother cadfael: still young, a one year grafted from DA himself but the blooms were beautiful. It needs to grow up a bit though, petal count was still low In his first season.

Evelyn: although some consider this apricot, this was pink in my climate, and was probably one of my favorite. I loved the first bloom so much, I bought 3 more plants the same day I saw that first bloom. So you can only imagine how beautiful it was.

Gertrude: I only got one bloom from this first year one gallon, but it was beautiful. I'm sure it will mature and have a stronger scent and have larger blooms. I'm keeping this plant regardless of how stingy I heard she can be, she's worth it to me.

Lastly, sceptred isle: I guess I saved this for the last for a reason. Although the blooms weren't amazing the first season from this one gallon, I love the scent so much I will always have this in my garden, if not two. When I first got the boxes of roses plants, I opened the box and saw the SI bloom just on top. I smelled it and love it, ever since, it's probably on my top five list. It blooms constantly too. Myrrh scent.

Good luck! Sorry for writing so much but hope I gave you some insight.

Drew

Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew, your comments are exactly what I wanted to know!

Jo_pyeweed - Strawberry Hill is a gorgeous color! I have held back on buying this rose as I didn't know what its form was. I have plenty of room for climbers on a long fence and since I don't have a problem with mildew or rust in my area, this might be a good one to try.

I do plan to get Sharifa Asma this spring when I go to Chamblees.

Does anyone grow Lady of Megginch? Mine is young but has put out some really lovely blooms. Like this one a lot and hoping to see more bloom this spring.
    Judith

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Drew--what a collection of pink Austins--wow! I do hope you are going to take pics and share them with us next summer. How exciting to see all those Austins in bloom in one garden!

Kate

• zone6-nj
    10 years ago

Glad to help. And Kate, will definitely be taking pictures, can't wait to show them!

Even last summer, during many of my roses 'creep' period they were looking great in the spring flush, can only hope they really shoot up this spring.

Will keep you updated!

Drew

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Alameda. I have Sharifa Asma and The Alnwick rose. Sharifa took two years to settle in, but the Alnwick rose repeats at least four times with excellent flushes in North Texas. Both are delightfully fragrant. They both get morning sun and evening shade.

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

is it possible that only Ingrid and myself grow The Ingenious Mr.Fairchild??? btw,Ingrid,I'm trying to grow my IMFas a short climber,like Jo is with Strawberry Hill,only on a rebar tripod...bart

• vickysgarden
    10 years ago

I have Redoute, Mary Rose, Pretty Jessica, The Generous Gardener, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Bishop's Castle, and Lady of Megginch; they all grow well for me, and it would be hard to pick a favorite. Mary Rose has been with me the longest and is extremely reliable, hardly ever without a bloom, one of the first to open and last one left in fall. Here's a pic of Mary:

10 years ago

Bart, I'm going to let my Mr. Fairchild hug the ground for a bit in hopes that it will cover a tree stump. There's a crape myrtle in front of the stump with a long, bare single cane and I might try to train it up that. We shall see.

Ingrid

• zone6-nj
    10 years ago

I just added a few roses to my heirloom roses order, one of them being ingenious mr. Fairchild. Hope it does well in my area, and hoping that tiny band doesn't take long to mature, and I'm hoping my order in April (of over 25 roses at this current point in time) comes with larger roses than they have in the past or this will probably be my last order with them.

How's the scent on IMF? I noticed there are a few pink roses that never really get much discussion when it comes to scent, a few to name are mary rose, strawberry hill, IMF.

Drew

9 years ago

Drew, my TIMF is finally blooming this spring and I do find it to be fragrant, although it's not one of my top favorite smells. I don't know how to describe it but Austin characterizes it as a "strong and deliciously fruity rose fragrance", with which I don't entirely agree. It certainly isn't as nice as Bishop's Castle, for instance, or Wild Edric. It's possible that it may smell differently in other gardens with better soil or other climates. I do find the flower itself to be quite beautiful, in spite of its somewhat rangy and difficult habit of growth. It's definitely a rose I'm going to keep and watch over the next few years.

Ingrid

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just bought a large Sharifa Asma from Chamblees a few weeks ago - it is now covered in buds - got a perfect spot for it where it will get sun until 2pm, then bright light afterward. Love the scent and color! Also got Wildeve and Anne Boleyn in the sale area - they are healthy - any comments on them?
    Judith

• dani33
    9 years ago

I am in zone 6 & looking for my first rose bush. I need for it to be no taller than 5 feet. I like Alnwick, Mary Rose, Belinda's Dream or Princess Alexandra of Kent. Would any of these grow in zone 6?

• dani33
    9 years ago

I am in zone 6 & looking for my first rose bush. I need for it to be no taller than 5 feet. I like Alnwick, Mary Rose, Belinda's Dream or Princess Alexandra of Kent. Would any of these grow in zone 6?

• User
    9 years ago

To the original poster,
    Christopher Marlowe.
    Very pretty, you must prune it but after a couple years, the bush really shapes up nice.
    Extremely fragrant.
    Austin.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Judith, I always enjoy seeing the Wildeve in my mom's garden. Somewhat floppy canes that can reach out to five feet. It was the first rose to bloom in her garden this year, with a few scattered January blooms (no frost here). I like the scent, the clear pink that fades to a lighter pink or occasionally to a buff, and how few issues the foliage has.

It's being supported with a short tripod so that the flowers won't always weigh down the canes. It seems like it would make a great split rail fence shrub rose. The tripod is mostly for aesthetics, but some staking would help I think. It's just getting ready to start on its first fuller flush of the year, so I'll post some pics when it does bloom. No mildew or rust issues so far which is a great thing here in coastal So Cal. Not sure about blackspot. We don't spray anything/no in soil pest or fungal treatment, but I'm not sure it would technically count as organic. I'm not sure what fertilizers my mom uses on a monthly basis so I can't speak for sure on that.

Jay

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

dani--any of those should do fine in zone 6. In fact, most roses do fine in zone 6 unless they are very tender--which might be some hybrid teas, but if you bury the graft 1-2 inches, even a tender HT will probably grow fine in zone 6.

And with Austins, I don't usually worry about the cold since a lot of them (most of them, perhaps) are hardy to zone 5.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

duplicate post deleted.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 9:02

• twinkletoad
    9 years ago

Sharifa Asma is my favorite pink Austin, along with Sceptre d'Isle. Lots of blooms, fragrant, very healthy, and doesn't mind the heat so far. I've been disappointed in Heritage because they blooms shatter so quickly.
    I've ordered St. Cecilia (light pink) and Radio Times (darker) to add to my pinks this year.

Radio Times reportedly likes hot, dry climates, produces lots of blooms, and has a strong fragrance. It might do well for you in Texas. St. Cecilia is also mentioned as doing well in Texas!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

I have two Queen of Swedens and will probably get a third. It's a workhorse: just pumps out blooms (so far).
    The Alnwick Rose is a little uneven. Some blooms open easily and last for days, others shatter if you look too hard at them.
    Still, I like the mid-pink color.
    I don't know if Darcey Bussell is red or pink - her first blooms are right on the dividing line (if there even is such a thing lol).
    Here's one of the better Alnwicks.
    Sylvia

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh!!! That's a gorgeous The Alnwick rose!!!! I just got one as a band last spring. I found the fragrance super strong raspberry - my favorite fragrance.

I was wondering how large the blooms are for you. I think mine were around 2 1/2 inches. Do they get bigger?

I can almost smell it from your photo!!
    Wow!!
    Carol

Original Author
    9 years ago

I plan to put Wildeve next to a fence - so if it does get long canes I will have something to attach it to. Jay [that's my son's name too!], glad to hear you like this rose - got it at an excellent discount for $5 in a big pot - it now has lots of buds. I have quite a few pink Austins - many are young so I haven't been able to evaluate yet. Am thinking I need to get Queen of Sweden, heard lots of good reports on it.

England's Rose started out great last year, covered in blooms. Maybe I should have pinched them - the bush is still alive but not very vigorous - not going to let it bloom until/unless it recovers and starts growing. Love my James Galway - strong, upright bush that has a beautiful spring display then always has some blooms on it. Just got Sharifa Asma - covered in buds. I have a very old Mary Rose that does well. Love Tess of the d'Ubervilles - its on a huge fan trellis that it covers - it now has loads of big buds. Like Lady of Megginch - think I need to fertilize it more - when it blooms, you can see them all over the yard. Also have a large Scepter d'Isle that I like a lot - soft pink blooms, healthy bush, reliable rebloom. Charles Rennie Macintosh is another favorite - almost a lilac pink. I would like to see a stronger bush, but maybe its time for it to "leap" - it will be 3 yrs. old this year.

That Alnwick rose is beautiful, Sylvia!

Judith

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

I love so many of the Austin pinks. Here's one I took a picture of in a client's garden yesterday: Queen of Sweden. That and many other pinks, Alnwick, Wedgewood, Gertrude Jekyll, Sceptre d'Isle, and Sharifa Asma were covered in blooms -- spectacular!

My new Carding Mill is covered in pink blooms as well. The very first blooms were more apricot, and I'm wondering what determines the coloration. Our weather has changed from cold to mid 90s. Would heat or sunshine make Carding Mill more pink?

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

This makes me wish I could make another trip to Chamblees just for the bargain area! I didn't get to spend much time in that area when I was there. We were trying to beat the rain and I already had a truck load lol. Glad you had a good trip Judith.

Original Author
    9 years ago

My Carding Mill - one of my very favorite Austins - has always been apricot, never seen pink blooms on - not sure what could cause it to look pink.....

Boncrow, I was just in Tyler with friends Friday - we stopped by Pandora's Box [an antique and plant shop in Frankston], Blue Moon Gardens then Hand Nursery. The truck was totally packed full - I was sitting with a clematis at my feet, so unfortunately I was not able to go to Chamblees. After Easter, I plan to make a trip back there just to go to Chamblees. Am sure everything will be blooming then! We drove by the Azalea Trail - everything was in full bloom and just fabulous. You really should make another trip "to see the azaleas" then go by Chamblees!!

I am just starting to see blooms - beautiful this morning is Buck's Wanderin' Wind that was a $2 rose from Chamblees sale bin a year ago......
    Judith

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz