Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Ordering directly from David Austin

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I have never ordered roses directly from David Austin, but I have gotten their catalog before. Today in the mail I received an advertisement from them, 25% off until February 27. Not all their roses are included, but it so happens every rose I have considered is listed. The other evening I thought I might order some David Austins from Regan Nursery, but all the ones I wanted were out of stock already, should have ordered them earlier. I've read some differing opinions about ordering directly from David Austin, good idea or not?

Comments (70)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

David Austin claims that most of his roses are hardy to Zone 5. Whether he means just the roots or the whole plant, I'm not sure, but here in my Zone 6 I have never had to spring-prune back my Austins bushes to mere nubs a few inches tall although some of my hybrid teas have to be trimmed back that drastically. There will be some die-back on the Austin bushes, but trimming back by about 1/3 (or 1/2 if the winter was really bad) is the most that you would probably have to do.

Here in Zone 6 it is not the cold winter that is the biggest problem. It is the alternating freeze-thaw-freeze cycles that are so hard on a rose. I imagine that you, in Zone 5, wouldn't have as much problem with freeze-thaw spring cycles.

Good luck. Let us know how they fare in your "north country." : )

Kate

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Thanks Kate. I definitely will. I know that most of D.A. roses are supposedly to be hardy to my zone. But I would think that since they are raised in a hotter climate in Texas, they may not get used to the "first" winter in my zone. It may get cold "shocked".

I don't really know, honestly since I am not a botanist expert.

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

Diane,

Thank you soooooo much for posting their discount code. I just used it to order some ORGs that I was only able to find at their site.

Thanks again!! :)

Mas

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Your very welcome, Mas. I think several of those codes were floating around the Forum lately. Diane

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Dang! I could just shoot you guys! You made me go order more roses. I almost did the 20% off the other day, but decided not to. But then when I saw your little "secret" code for the 25% off... Awww man.. how could I resist? The only reason I am ordering is because we have to have our septic system re-done and had to cut down two trees that were interfering. While we were at it tho, I decided to have two other worthless ones cut down. Now I have a bunch more areas for planting in mostly full sun. I'm moving a big batch of my DAs that are in too much shade, and they're gonna go in three separate beds, with two arches between them with climbers on each side. Sooo... I have room to add a few more DAs and/or similar roses.

These are the ones you guys talked me into ordering (LOL):

THE ENDEAVOR
    LADY OF SHALOTT
    BOSCOBEL
    MAID MARION
    PRINCESS ANNE
    PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF KENT

Yikes! Along with the other orders I have outstanding, looks like I'm adding a LOT more roses this yr than I had anticipated. It could've been worse tho. I almost ordered like 3 others, but decided I better quit before my husband finds out...

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Aww, come on Beth, you know you were hankering for a few more roses with all those trees coming down! If it weren't for the DA sale it would be something else, right? Yeah, and I'm sure the septic digging is the "only" reason you're ordering roses (at what, 1200 roses or more)? At least you get to tell your husband you saved 25% off these roses - there's something about 1/4 off that adds that extra psychological edge to go ahead and buy these, right? These will be some great roses for you, and as always we look forward to your stunning pictures.

Besides, what are GW friends for if not to enable each other? Now put the shotgun down slowly...

Cynthia

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Yup. Beth isn't the only one who needs to stop listening to her GW friends. I wasn't going to get any new roses this year. NONE. I mean, I can't exactly do much planting from a hospital bed. But I posted a hypothetical question about ONE rose ... and dang -- I learned about three irresistibly gorgeous David Austins thriving in similar conditions. I called Davd Austin Roses in Texas with my typical zillion questions, hoping they would tell me to shut up and bring me to my senses . . . but nooooo. Helen was as sweet and as helpful as can be, and now instead of buying zero roses, I'm probably going to get five. Somebody stop me.

I'm posting evaluations of all our roses, along with lots of pictures: buds, blooms, burned blooms, the whole shrub. The good, the bad, and the ugly . . . you get the picture. On Humpty Dumpty House Foundation Facebook page. Link is below.

If you like what we do, please give us a page 'like'. This simple act can help us get the gardens and our work back up and running during my absence due to an injury.

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook Page for Humpty Dumpty House

• steve_gw
    9 years ago

Thought I'd give it a try, never really grown Austins before, so I picked 3 to try in pots on my patio for fragrance.
    Ordered: Evelyn, Gertrude Jeckyl, and Mary Rose.
    Ordered on line got a 15% discount from a BHG Magazine promo, came to $83 with shipping. We'll see how it goes...
    Ordered them budded-bare root.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

The DA Rose Sale had gotten me too. At first, it was only 3 roses. And then it became 4 & 5. Then a 6th was added. I really have no idea how the total now stands at 7 roses. I must be under some rose spell!

I have ready spots for only 3 roses. I guess I have to find room for 4 more. I wish I have much more room because there are so many others I wish to grow. Though I would never admit it but this behavior is borderline addict. Karen

• lesmc
    9 years ago

It got me,too! Actually, they will all go in pots cause my garden is FULL. I will walk the garden and maybe...just maybe I will find a spot in the garden. If not, pots will be just fine. Thanks for the discount fine...I am grateful! lesley

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..we're all addicted....too far gone to worry about it now...

..lovely choices everyone.... I'm getting 'Cottage Rose'..at some point...

9 years ago

Hey everyone. I guess I came late to this post. Just curious, is the coupon limited to U.S. customers only? I live in Canada. Did you guys do separate orders for each rose?

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

Ok, so you guys have convinced me of using some more of that 25% off. I just ordered William Shakespeare 2000 and Falstaff. I've grown WS2000 before but Falstaff is new to me. Any feedback on her?

Mas

9 years ago

Thanks Sow. I am conflicted, I am not sure if I should order or wait. It is kind of pricey to have it shipped to Canada and I am not sure if I have to pay customs fee too. I have to sleep on it and decide.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Has anyone received their DA orders yet? I am in FL so it says Jan/Feb for my zone. I called and they said sometime next week. I think I called on Friday -so this week sometime, *maybe* lol. I am really excited but I still need to go get some more pots.

For those of you who have received bare root roses from DA in the past, how large of a pot do they need to just start out in? I can always bump up the pot size later and I might put some in the ground once I figure out what conditions each one wants in my yard (shade/sun etc) and get some more beds tilled this spring.

• Patrick Brandon
    7 years ago

Hi everyone. Enjoying the comments and recommendations. I have tried all the codes for discounts and none seem to work any longer. Maybe because it is March? Cannot seem to find any online. Has anyone ordered recently and has a valid discount code?

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    7 years ago

Offer code: ULE - 15% off until March 24

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I used it. ULA.

• syri brown z5
    7 years ago

For 2017, z5, the code I got is ULE, 15%. How well do they grow in z5? Esp. the blackspot issue and winter wind cane die back? Would really like to order but concerned about `raised in Tx then subjected to the cold north. Berrrrrrrrr

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

Syri they are dormant when they are shipped so no worries!

• syri brown z5
    7 years ago

So, how well do they grow in Chicagoland(5)?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    7 years ago

I was in the grocery store this evening, looking thru magazines. On the back cover of Victoria was a big DA color ad - 10% off thru April {I think] and the code is VT28.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

Syri they have done well for me so far, but it probably depends on which roses you choose. Golden Celebration, Scepter, Graham Thomas, and Queen of Sweden have done well for 2-3 years. New last year were Munstead Wood, Olivia Rose, Crown Princess, Mary Rose, Wife of Bath, and Lady of Shallot. All looking good so far this spring :) but too soon to really evaluate them.

• syri brown z5
    7 years ago

I`m getting M W., O.R., and M.R., this year. Blackspot agitated by humidity. Got my fingers crossed!

• lenakosova
    6 years ago

any coupon code now- in May? I am just about to buy 3 or so roses for mothers day and anything would help....thank you, ladies!

• lenakosova
    6 years ago

I had no idea. thank you for the tip- better look into that....is it just direct from DA website? or other retailers that carry these roses as well?

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have been growing many, many David Austin Roses for years and have never run into one with Mosaic Virus. Consider the beauty, fragrance, hardiness, health and old-fashioned rose form before you call them over-priced. If RMV is a concern, purchase their own root roses. Last year I got 3 Crown Princess Margareta own root, 6 Perdita grafted, and 1 Generous Gardener own root. This year I purchased 2 grafted Evelyn that were huge when they arrived. Here is the proof... they were 21" long.

Here is my photos of Crown Princess Margareta from last year own root... first season. It doesn't get better than this for a first year rose.

And here she is this spring after spending a wicked winter under a 4 foot snow bank that was so iced over that I could walk on it without leaving a foot print. Gorgeous healthy foliage and starting to put out buds.

And here are my 6 Perdita. They winter killed to the ground and had the gusto to come back up and do it again!!

I love David Austin Roses and don't mind paying the price. Besides, if you have problems with the rose, you just pick up the phone and call them. I paid $50 from a company that many people mention here and i got 2 incorrect roses and never did get my money back from them. I'll buy so called over-priced DAR's any day. Just wanted to show the other side of the coin.

Rebecca

• Michigan zone 6
    3 years ago

Hi,

I am in Zone 6A-Michigan. I am planning to order few roses from David Austin for the first time.

I am looking for some disease resistant,abundant flowering roses of all colors. Can anyone who have in the same zone and weather who ordered can help me?Appreciate a lot if respond!

The roses i added in cart are

Munstean Wood ,Claire Austin,Susan Williams,Charles Darwin,emily bronte,Desdemona,Lady of Shallot

Aps

• Rebecka Pearson
    2 years ago

Does anyone have any current coupon codes? Thanks in advance! New DA customer!! 😃

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

No coupon codes this year unfortunately. 1 seems to be lucky to get plants!

2 years ago

Yep they went cheapo this year and had no coupons. Bummer.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

I ordered 5 types of DA bare root roses this year.This is first time ordering online.Wondering how it will be-whether it will b in good condition as shipping many days before? Any tips before planting ?Do I need to soak in water before? Any advice would be great !Thanks in advance!

2 years ago

I always soak mine overnight before planting. If you have any rainwater saved, tgey really love that and it helps wake them up from dormancy quicker.

My Austins arrived in good shape this year. There were a few that were smaller than usual. They have all leafed out and many have buds already.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Sultry, that makes me even more nervous about how mine looked!

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

One of mine was really small..Charles Rennie MacIntosh. Its doing okay though.

My Edmunds order this year is a different story. One has already totally died. I planted it and it literally turned black and died for no reason.

I found a cane on another one with a huge notch in it..I would cut it off but then it would have no canes!

Two others were thin as a pencil on the main trunks.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Thank you @sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) for sharing your experience. So,should I soak it 24 hrs?

• Anu Priya
    2 years ago

Hi friends,hope all are doing good.. Just thought of continuing this discussion.I got my 11 DA roses ,which were good bareroot roses packed well. All came well except 3. I am posting the pcitures here of 3 roses ,for which I have doubt if it will survive or not. Any comments from any of friends? If its dying,can i get replacement ?

Below is mustean wood-no leaves but still green.Can survive?

Below 2 are from pots-Olivia austin-first one looks completely dried out,i assume no chance of survival.Other may or may not survive?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

I would have hope for all if kept well watered and in the shade and maybe a bag over the tops to keep the moisture in while they grow roots. They should all be growing by 2-4 weeks.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

If you got them from David Austin directly, I would still take pictures and send them to them now. They are excellent about the replacement policy and if you wanna replacement They go into a queue. So best to reserve a plant Well you can. They may not be able to do that this year.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Thanks @Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR and @Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley..I will look for 1 more week and if no progress, will call and check with them. Have a great day!

• Anu Priya
    2 years ago

Looks like 2 are coming up of 3. One in the pot seems like it died. Really happy that all 12 roses of 13 are coming well. It has been only 2 weeks. When should i start with rose food or compost? I already poured some rose food and compost while planting bare roots.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello everyone, All my roses are coming up well ,and already buds started in Desdemona and Munstead wood.This is just in 5 weeks after planting. Really excited to see flowers.I am looking for some short,dark purple or blue color, long stay perennial to fill near to roses.Heard about campanula.But too difficult to get.Its available only in Blue stone perennials,but shipping charge is more..Any suggestions?

• rosesmi5a
    2 years ago

Michigan: try Gilbert H. Wild's company; they often have surplus sales and summer sales. Also, depending on where you are, lots of Michigan nurseries have campanulas -- try Van Etta's in Haslett, or Christensen's down the road from Van Etta's.

• cab84
    2 years ago

Where are you located in MI? I think you should be able to find campanula at a local nursery. I live in MI, about 30 minutes north of Detroit. There are a few nurseries close to me with nice perennial selections. You could call a few to see if they have the plant you’re looking for in stock.

I’ve purchased plants from Bluestone, but the plants are pretty small and expensive. I usually purchase from them when they’re having a sale or if they have something I can’t find locally and have to have.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

I am in canton 48188

• cab84
    2 years ago

I don’t know that area well, sorry. There is an English Gardens in Plymouth. Maybe they’ll have what you’re looking for.

• Michigan zone 6
    2 years ago

Ok..Thank you..I ll look into

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
    2 years ago

I also just placed an order straight from DA website a few weeks ago. I always pre-order them from our local nursery in Victoria bc Canada the previous year, and get them the following spring. However I guess due to covid 19 they were all shorted this year. I was really disappointed when I didn’t get 90% of what I pre-ordered last year! So I figured I’d just order from DA. That way at least I get my roses lol.

• amyjiang_z5
    2 years ago

Hi Sara, how did you get the promo mail? Did you request it from DA?