Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose scent classifications

Posted by zone6-nj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:54

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. I have a quick question..

What exactly is meant by "tea fragrance" ? Do they literally mean like a Lipton tea bag? Because I bought a few roses that will ship in April that are classified as tea fragrances.

Also, I am interested in glamis castle, however it gets negative feedback with its fragrance. I have sceptred isle and would have to say its one of my favorites actually. It, also, is classified as strong myrrh. Do any of you that have smelled both consider them to be the same? Because if that's the case I actually love the scent. I love the myrrh that comes with sceptred isle but I'm afraid to get glamis castle although it looks beautiful. Can anyone describe the scent? As opposed to SI that is.

Thanks a lot!
Stay warm those on the east coast!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose scent classifications

Yes, a tea fragrance smells like fresh tea. You might like the article, "A Nose for the Rose" from the Chicago Tribune by William Hageman.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Nose for the Rose by William Hageman

o

You also might like the speech that Tom Carruth made on breeding for fragrance. He talks about different types of fragrance starting at 14:15. I found it interesting because he talks about the rose colors usually indentified with the scent (although "tea" isn't mentioned).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Carruth-Breeding for Fragrance

o

To me Tea fragrance is a woody, dry scent, akin to the smell of fresh wood shavings or chips--not pine, but hardwoods or perhaps cedar. People's noses perceive scents differently, but this is what I think of with Teas. It's a good smell.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 1:05

Glamis Castle has a strong myhrr which I love--it's intense.

However it's extremely vulnerable to black spot. You'll likely need to spray fungicides to keep foliage on it. And nasty prickles, one of the prickliest.

o

Thanks a lot for the replies. I've smelled roses that my family would disagree on how strongly scented they were. One of them being St. Alban. It smells just like a florist shop, is a yellow Austin rose. My sister can't detect anything from it.

Hoovb- Thank you for reassuring GC. I want it so bad but when I read reviews I think "i don't want anything that smells like a diaper pail!" Haha. I'm hoping its remotely similar to sceptred Isle - a scent I can probably classify as one of my top three roses. Have got ever smelled SI before?

o

Thanks Jasminerose4u, those 2 links were very informative and helpful.

andrea

o

You are welcome, Andrea. I found it interesting as to why we all smell a rose differently, i.e. gender, location, time of year, age of the bloom, etc. I didn't know that women can smell "fruity" better than men and that men can smell "apple" better than women. No wonder the Help Me Find Roses website, often states, "Opinions vary". Thank goodness we are all different :).

By the way, zone6-nj, I searched for Glamis Castle on the Help Me Find Roses site and saw a notation in the comment section, saying that they loved this rose's bloom and scent. There are also comments about black spot, but of course that depends on location too.

o

Thanks jasmine! I appreciate the information. I'm glad some people like it!

For anyone on here that's ever smelled Sceptred isle, would you consider that strong myrrh? Or myrrh mixed with something else? Because I want glamis castle, and if it smells like this I'll buy it for sure. If not, what other roses smell like Sceptred isle?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here