Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady of Shallot in Texas?

Posted by msjam2 7B DFW (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:55

Hello!

Who has Lady of Shallot in Texas,? I read it does better in the heat than Pat. How big does she get? I've been going back and forth between LOS and Lady Emma.

Thanks for any info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady of Shallot in Texas?

Although I do not live in Texas (hope you don't mind my opinion) I have to say LOS is an amazing rose. I got an own root from DA in Texas and it got probably 3 feet x 3 feet in just one season, almost always in bloom. Scent is light, but I would grow this rose even if it had no scent. If I'm in zone 6 and it grew relatively large in one season, I can only imagine how it would be in Texas. Good luck with your decision, from what I've read, LEH has a much stronger scent and stays more compact.

Another thing to mention, I don't know if this varies with climate or other factors, but it's a very bushy rose, as opposed to many of the adjacent roses that just want to grow straight up.

Take care!
Drew

This post was edited by zone6-nj on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 23:02

o

Thanks Drew! Is it more of an upright kinda bush or does it flop like Pat?

o

Anytime. And I wouldn't consider it to be upright, it tended to flop a bit but definitely not to the point where it was on the ground. Just enough to seem bush - like and flop outward. Out of the 10 roses in that one particular area in my garden, people all tended to ask me about her.

Drew

o

Don't know if a Kansas report will help or not (I'm practically in Oklahoma), but LOS seems to like our excessive summer heat, perhaps gives up blooming at the very peak of the summer heat, but blooms good the rest of the time--which is to say, most of the time.

I wouldn't call it a vertical bush, but it is somewhat more vertical growing than filling out sideways or forming a rounded bush--or at least where I planted mine, it stretches upward considerably. Mine is 2 years old and often tries to grow over the 4 ft tall that I want--I have to trim back several of the canes often. I might be better off to just let it grow to 5 ft. At any rate, it is not a short or more compact bush.

Wonderful bloom colors.

Kate

o

Sounds like it grows like Evelyn. I might have to rethink this as I do not have room. My Evelyn is 5 ft wide and 6 ft tall.

o

Does fine in my Los Angeles garden. Really a pretty rose. This one is a bit faded by the sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here