Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Ok... I blew it... I ordered....

bethnorcal9
9 years ago

I wasn't going to order any more roses this season than I already got, or have coming... But then yesterday I got the new Breck's catalog in the mail and had to go to their website and see the new roses they're offering that are 2016 intros from Weeks. Last yr I got NEIL DIAMOND early from them, and it was spectacular for a first season plant.

Their prices are rather high, but they have a sale going on... $25 off a purchase of $50, and $50 off a purchase of $100. I couldn't help myself. I had to have that gorgeous SMOKIN' HOT and MISS CONGENIALITY. To make the order over $100 so I could get the $50 off, I added TWILIGHT ZONE, hoping that third time will be the charm... as the previous two plants I got, both from S&W, each died after blooming once. If this TZ dies I'll give up trying it.

They also have a new Downton Abbey rose called PRETTY LADY ROSE which is a solid deep pink that looks a little like a DA style rose. I skipped that one because I don't need any more solid hot pinks. Looks lovely tho.

Anyway, I still did pretty good. Didn't order too many in total. Already got from Palatine DARK DESIRE, CRESCENDO and SUNNY SKY. And coming from J&P DARING SPIRIT and SIGNATURE. I just don't have a whole lot of room for more. Oh wait! My son also got me a couple of bagged bareroots for Xmas... FIRST PRIZE and CHICAGO PEACE. Forgot about those... LOL

I tell ya, I'm ready for spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brecks Roses

Comments (8)

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Good for you Beth. Everything is expensive now anyway. I was pretty certain I wouldn't buy any roses either. I've made orders to come in April. Can't help it.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Beth, I still haven't placed my order for Neil Diamond yet, trying to see how long I can wait. I think you just pushed me over...I have ordered some roses from Palatine and K&M for spring. Would Neil Diamond be a good cut rose? Thanks, Hattie

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I spent $90 at the nursery yesterday too.

But got 3 fruit trees, 3 cane berries and some asparagus crowns. I had miss read their email announcing the arrival of the bareroots and the date they would have them out so they went in back and pulled them out for me. This nursery is a half hour drive and pots everything before putting them out. They are in a colder area north of me so it is always fun to see what they have. They remembered me and tried to tempt me with roses.....

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hattie, I don't know how well NEIL DIAMOND does as a cut flower. I rarely cut my roses. I love to go out and see them in the garden, messy as it is! I know he did really well in a big pot. I imagine he'd be ok tho. He's a good rose as far as I could tell for the first season. I say go for it!!

So Kippy... you didn't get any roses???

Oh BTW, my J&P's arrived today and SIGNATURE is an absolute monster!

• shopshops
    9 years ago

You're not alone Beth. I'm running out of room, but still found it fit to order 5 from David Austin, ARE, Chamblees, RVR and heirloom. I'm too lazy to type the names right now. When will we learn.....sigh

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I'm looking to get a Baronne Prevost and either Hermosa or Archduke Charles in the next few weeks, but I've been making a lot more non-rose purchases of late. I got a 1 gallon Leucospermum and an Aloe hybrid I had been looking for -Kujo- in a 2 gallon size last weekend. I'm very excited to try a Leucospermum in an area with a few other other Proteaceae. The Aloe I first saw at the Huntington and for whatever reason really calls to me.

I will be on the look out for Larry Daniels this spring along with Cafe and Mlle. Blanche Lafitte.

Jay

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

I blew it, too. I swore to myself I wouldn't order any until I had planted everything in the pot ghetto--until Roses Unlimited notified they were shipping a replacement rose and did I want to add some to the box. And you know how that goes.

Jay, my Baronne Prevost had buds for the first time. I've been eagerly awaiting the opening, but when I went out this morning, two of my horses had gotten out and chomped off all the buds--Rose blooms are like crack to my two Tennessee Walkers. I'm still steamed.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I just blew it again. Ordered from Regans now. Well, I have an excuse, sort of. We have to have our septic system replaced, and need to have two very large trees cut down beforehand. Had to dig out about 60 roses in two beds in order not to lose them when the trees go down. Plus we're not sure exactly where the leach lines are going. (most likely right where the larger bed was) Anyway, in the process of digging out the roses, I discovered I lost a few of them. One was ROCK 'N' ROLL. So of course I have to replace it, and had to order two more to make it worth the shipping, and get the 10% off. So I also ordered BIG MOMMA which I just fell in love with after seeing Sara-Ann's pic in the "B Roses" thread in the Gallery. And the third one was yet another replacement attempt at SILVER STAR. (it always dies on me) One of the other roses that died I'll have to order from Roses Unlimited. But I think I'll wait a bit and figure out what else I want (but don't really need)....