Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronn_bonites

Help me identify this Floribunda?

Ronn Bonites
10 years ago

I got a what I thought was a new tea that needs an I.D.,but I was told by some good folks over at the Antique Roses forum that it was a floribunda so I'm posting this here. Here's some pictures:

{{gwi:220523}}
{{gwi:220525}}

This is the whole plant. You may notice some red-orange blooms on one side that are from a different rose that came along with this one when I bought it. The blooms of this one appear to get lighter in color when it gets more sun. When I bought it, it had dark magenta blooms, when I moved it to a sunny spot on my rooftop its blooms got lighter.

Comments (12)

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:220528}}
    {{gwi:220530}}
    {{gwi:220532}}
    {{gwi:220534}}
    {{gwi:220536}}

Here are the blooms up close and the buds. It has a cluster-flowering habit and its buds are pointed. The bloom in the first photo is one of the older blooms it had when I bought it.

I've also counted the petals to be at least 21+ and they seem to look a bit ruffled.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:220539}}

Here's the leaves. It has 5-7 leaflets and have small prickles underneath. It has few prickles on the stems so far I've only seen 2 red hooked prickles on it. It's also own-root.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Maybe NEON LIGHTS? That's an older J&P that was hot pink and ruffly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neon Lights @ HMF

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I think that's a pretty good call, Beth! Kim

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It actually looks like Neon Lights. Bloom form, petals, leaves, stems, and everything! HMF also lists this as having a strong fragrance which I forgot to mention that it has. Heat tolerant is a check too.

I'm quite convinced that it is Neon Lights. Thanks Beth! :D

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

No prob! It just happens to be one of the few roses I don't have. Had it yrs ago, and lost it. Never managed to replace it, because it disappeared from commerce for quite some time.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh really? I guess Neon Lights found itself a place to stay here, because it's all over the place at the nursery.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Well, I see Rogue Valley Roses up in Oregon now offer it own-root. Hmmm... maybe I oughta order one...

• lesmc
    10 years ago

This is a very sweet rose. It reminds me somewhat of my Playgirl. Playgirl does very well in my zone6 garden. lesley

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has the same color and ruffled petals as Playgirl but my rose has more petals than that so I'm still convinced that it's Neon Lights. Thanks for the suggestion though, Lesley.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It isn't Playgirl, definitely. The closest it comes to anything I've ever seen and/or grown is Neon Lights. Plus, Sequoia Nursery would never have had the distribution ability to get Playgirl into the Philipines where J&P distributed roses would have easily made it there. Kim

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A question about Neon Lights for those of you who've grown it. Does it have a silvery reverse? A flower bud just opened today with a dark pink bloom and a silvery reverse. All the old blooms have faded and fallen off so I can't compare them. But I do know that the petals get darker on darker days which we've been having lately.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals