Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanbachman_gw

Best climbing roses for Pennsylvania

SusanBachman
11 years ago

I am looking into getting a climbing rose for an arbor, for over the garden gate. I live in Central PA, zone 6. I have been thinking of getting 'William Baffin', has any tried? What are your favorite climbing roses (please post pictures). Thanks.

Susan

Comments (23)

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Do you frequent the HMF site? Wm. Baffin is a one time bloomer? Why not go for something with several flushes?

• SusanBachman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have not thought about that. I was thinking that WB was hardy and disease resistant. Do you have any suggestions for rebloomers?

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    11 years ago

A couple that I have grown in New Hampshire, Purple Splash & Climbing Iceberg. Actually they'd look nice together on either side of an arbor if you like contrast. Iceberg isn't very thorny, a nice feature if your garden gate gets much traffic. I put a link below to another conversation about climbers, there's a photo of my purple splash in that thread.

Di

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing rose suggestions

• User
    11 years ago

Our climates might be similar. The climbers that have done really well in my garden are New Dawn and Awakening. Both are only two years old, but each is well on its way to become monsters in terms of size. Both are extremely thorny, though. Out of our a dozen or so 2-year old climbers, these two are the most disease resistant and vigorous. They both repeat well enough for me. But the thorns!! :)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

Parade does well for me here in Chester County, PA.

{{gwi:223868}}

That's Parade in the foreground, with pale pink Awakening and red Dublin Bay behind her.

Sarah Van Fleet is next to the window.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

Westerland grows well here (near Allentown) as a climber. It reblooms throughout the season and even includes a decent fragrance. Blooms open orange but fade to a yellow/coral blend. Winters here (low around 0) don't cause much dieback. Canes have reached 12'. I spray a Bayer fungicide about once per month which keeps Westerland clean.

{{gwi:217734}}

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Also, consider Quadra and Viking Queen.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    11 years ago

Hi there-

I'm in Western PA and my Joseph's Coat is doing very well even with a bit of shade. My Eden ended getting RRD (I think) but was growing nicely. I ordered an Abraham Darby to replace it.
    Also consider: Cloud 10 (new for this year), Handel, Kiss of Desire and CL Winifred Coulter.

Some links: http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses/climbing-roses/handel.html

http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses/climbing-roses/josephs-coat.html

http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses/climbing-roses/kiss-of-desire.html

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

William Baffin can get to be overbearing in my experience. You will need lots of room and support. I got rid of it because it was taking too much space, and I wanted a more refined plant and blossom and less neon color.

• tank0412
    10 years ago

This is wonderful pictures.

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

William Baffin got enormous for me and outgrew its allotted space. It is also a one time bloomer in the Spring only. Its extreme winter hardiness is unnecessary in your climate, IMHO. Plus, it is not fragrant.

The climbers I am now growing are Westerland and Lady Ashe...too young to evaluate just yet, but more favorable than unfavorable recommendations came out as I researched for a good climber(s)...as you are... which led me to choose them.

Repeat flowering, fragrance, and no spray are very important to me.

Most New Dawns I have seen are magnificent in bloom, but very often outgrow the space provided by the gardener. Then there ensues either a yearly battle at keeping it in bounds or the regrettable decision to replace it with a less aggressive/smaller climber is made. New Dawn has no fragrance to speak of and does not repeat enough to mention. Its small foliage would lead one to think it is a smaller climber, don't be fooled!

Generally, most climbers are tougher than almost any other class of rose, so black spot may present fewer problems, but beware that some climbers I have encountered are black spot magnets, such as: Joseph's Coat, Red Fountain and Climbing Don Juan.

I once grew the hybrid rugosa Roseraie de L' Hay a climber, one of the best growers and bloomers in this class. It routinely sent up 8-9 ft. canes and grown on a 4' high fence, covering an 8' section of it. Excellent repeat bloom, rich deep mauve color, strong clove sent, pretty much disease and insect free....cast iron, so to say, and the heavy petaled flowers depart from the stingy, blousy petals many hybrid rugosas, regrettable have.

You could also consider Cape Diamond, a new rose to me, which I am growing as a cascading rose. It has long arching canes and is considered suitable as a small climber. Excellent repeat of a light pink flower with disease free attributes are its selling points, along with fragrance. For me it is still too young to evaluate but looks very promising with a strong reblooming habit exhibited so far. It looks like it has rugosa genes, the foliage being light green but not grained, and the flowers are produced in small clusters with very short necks much like rugosas.

Hope this helps.

Thorntorn

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    10 years ago

Just wanted to update you on my climbers this year:

* My Joseph's Coat is on year 2 and really growing. I expect several blooms to open soon. I haven't seen a lot of blackspot but I have sprayed once already this year.

* I just planted a small Abraham Darby and it already is growing like a weed and has a teeny bloom!

* Got larger established New Dawn and Fourth of July for new installed arbors. Too early to tell but I have heard New Dawn is disease-resistant.

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

Ramblin' Red is a beautiful red climber. Great repeat bloom and very hardy. Another favorite is John Davis, a pink Explorer rose. I have 2 of these. Very hardy and good repeat bloom in my garden.

• dani33
    9 years ago

I have an arbor & a pergola (both high traffic , so have to be nearly thornless) that need a disease resistant climber for zone 6. I have been looking at Eden, Jasmina, Nahema, Renae, Zephrine Drouhin, Heritage, Excellenz von Schubert & Laguna. I was thinking Zephrine & Laguna would be too vigorous. I am looking for a rose to grow over the arbor, not eat it. I am leaning towards Eden for the pergola & either Jasmina, Nahema or Renae for the arbor. Any experience with these roses or suggestions? I am feeling a bit overwhemed..lol. Ty in advance

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Excellenz von Schubert doesn't get large enough here for a pergola or arbor, and Heritage probably won't either. Heritage needs treatment for blackspot here.

• dani33
    9 years ago

Ok. I'm crossing them off my list. Thank you

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Dani,
    I have Laguna and it's a beautiful rose, very healthy, no blackspot, with fragrant flowers. Only problem - it's not a repeat bloomer for me. It does bloom over a long period of time though. Mine is maybe 3 years old and it about 8-9 feet tall. I love it though. The blooms are gorgeous!

• dani33
    9 years ago

Sounds perfect, but I'd really like a repeat bloomer

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    9 years ago

Look at 'Amadeus' and 'Golden Gate' and 'Jasmina' for arbors.

• julia034
    9 years ago

William baffin is not a one time bloomer. it has a great first bloom and then smaller flushes. it is not a true climber but a very tall shrub. In your area there are so many you can grow i would follow any advice from above. In the picture the pink are W.B.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    9 years ago

I'll update you on my climbers--

New Dawn grew huge and had a cane almost over the arbor until winter hit. I had to only prune back the winter kill and now it's covered in leaves and new canes. It's my best grower.

The 4th of July is not doing well--as of today I see no green anywhere and I'm worried it got RRD. Our nursery guru says to wait and see but I'm about to rip it out.

Joseph's coat is leafing out nicely and has new shoots.

My Abraham Darby (was its own root) is really growing like a weed and I hope it just continues.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Dani, I grow Eden, Jasmina and Renae. They are all wonderful, but Eden is picky about conditions as far as repeat goes. Renae throws a lot of new canes, but she's easy enough to keep in bounds even here, as long as you plan on pruning. She has the best repeat for me, and she's totally thornless! I have her on a shed now, but I think she'd be great for an arbor as long as you are prepared to prune hard if necessary. She has lax canes, so you have to train her as she grows, too.

Jasmina is pretty thorny! Little thorns, but thorny. Love her, though :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Melissa, if you're still here how did your climbers end up doing? Have you added any new ones?