Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Empty spare bands?

roseseek
10 years ago

I'm in the San Fernando Valley and spend time in the Santa Clarita Valley weekly. I'm running out of empty bands (and room!) to pot up this season's cuttings. Might there be anyone close-by who has some bands they'll likely not use and might like to get rid of? I can arrange to pick them up from you if you're close to those two valleys. I've almost used all of the ones I'd hung on to and those from three friends who were happy to recycle them rather than throw them away. Thanks! Kim

Comments (16)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Kim, I'm not close to you, but I do have an "empty pot" ghetto that my husband would dearly love for me to find a home (other than our garage) for. Here's a picture of some of the smaller pots. These range from 3 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches to about 7 inches by 7 inches (give or take an inch or two). Not sure what sizes you need for your bands? Anyway, if you don't find anyone locally with pots, my son works for UPS, so I can box up some for you and ship them.

• User
    10 years ago

You'd be welcome to come and help yourself to a few hundred, Kim, but it's not a short jaunt from there to here!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Hi Kim

I have about a hundred or more band size boxes from Vintage and Rogue Valley waiting to send to someone who could recycle them, and I'd be happy to mail them. I'd always mailed them back to Vintage on my dime just to see them recycled, and I was going to offer the same to Rogue Valley when I got around to it, but obviously you're convincing me of the benefits of procrastination (not that I needed any convincing, sadly).

If you want to drop me your address at my email, I'll get those sent UPS. My email is my username here with an added 11, and my provider is ymail. It usually takes me a while to check that home email, since I only use it for GW and miscellaneous tasks, but I'll make sure to look at it relatively soon.

Cynthia

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Hi Kim!
    I only have a few pots, but I live in Old Orchard 1 in Valencia and would be happy to give them to you. I also go to San Fernando Valley once a week if you would like me to drop them off somewhere. Please feel free to send me an email if you would like them. :)

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Paul. Yes, that is a bit of a "schlepp"! Thank you, also Cynthia, Pat and Jasminerose. I've emailed you directly, Cynthia. I have quart pots, gallons and larger as well as more of the 16 oz foam cups. The issue at this point is room. A flat will handle 16 cups and quart pots. Bands fit 25 to the flat, up to 32 if some of them are smaller. I've already filled 12 flats out front (8 with cups and quart pots, four with bands) with more coming from the wraps shortly, so the bands are what will permit me to continue before not having anywhere to put them. Thank you, though! Much appreciated. Kim

10 years ago

Hi Kim:
    I'll ask my Santa Clarita rose society friends if they have spare bands. I bet they have band pots. :)

I didn't receive an email from you, so I sent you an email hoping that would work.

Bonnie

10 years ago

Hi Kim:
    My friend Cristina, was very nice to bring over the band pots. As you can see, there are quite a few. I will keep them on my front porch, so that you can pick them up whenever you are visiting in the area. That way you don't have to make a special trip. But of course, if I'm home I would love to say hello. I will email you with my address in Valencia.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Bonnie. I emailed you last night asking when you'd like me to meet you tomorrow to see you ALmD and meet Cristina. Thank you! Kim

• andreark
    10 years ago

Kim,

My neighbor has about 2 dozen of this size. If you still need them, let me know. I get free shipping with my work.

Also I sent a message for you under this post 'Re: 2 older msgs., Young Lycidas & Munstead Wood Bare Root' If you get time, could you look at it?

Thanks,

andreark

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Andrea. I appreciate it. If all goes according to plan, a box of about 150 bands should arrive the day after tomorrow. I'm caught up at this point with what's come out of the wraps and actually have a few left over (phew! Thank you Bonnie and Cristina!) until the next batch comes out at the end of the month. Guess I should wrap another batch for the demo at the Pacific Rose Society in Pasadena on March 6th! Thank you. Kim

• andreark
    10 years ago

You are a very busy boy Kim. I hope you are not too busy to enjoy this season of renewal. Good luck with your demo at the Pacific Rose Society. Maybe some day, (after I'm retired) I will get to visit some of the rose 'happenings' around the state.

Thanks again,

andreark

10 years ago

Love the garden web! Where we get to connect with people near and far :)

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nipstress, your package just arrived and I've emailed you directly, but wanted to thank you publicly. Thank you! Thank you, also, Andrea. Yup, I've been "busy" but it is FUN! Thanks. Kim

10 years ago

Hi Kim

I'm glad the band pots arrived safely and that you're able to use them! I'm happy to see them recycled, particularly for someone like you who is working to keep uncommon varieties of roses in circulation as well as propagating your own.

Cynthia

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Cynthia! I've been transferring those which have started rooting in the foam cups into the bands to conserve room. It appears to be working just fine. Being able to nearly double the number per flat makes a HUGE difference when space is limited. I encountered something rather unusual yesterday. I'd combined six varieties in the same wrap. Three of them callused beautifully. Three just sat there and have done nothing. All were cut from plants in the same place in the garden and all are varieties which have successfully rooted previously, though not necessarily through wrapping. Evidently these three possibly didn't contain the necessary nutrient levels or required different temperature or moisture levels. I rewet the paper, leaving it damper and wrapped them so sit for another week or so to see what happens. Thanks! Kim

10 years ago

Hmm, that is a puzzle. Sounds like it's fortunate that those 3 slacker cuttings didn't mold or otherwise protest at the process so that you can try Plan B. It's infinitely reassuring to hear experts like you have to take several tries at this process, as I'm sure I'll have many questions like that whenever I get enough time to try cuttings. Regardless, it's just one more testament to the individual variability of roses, even under the same conditions.

Roses - often puzzling, but never boring!

Cynthia