Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Suggestions For A Coral Colored Rose

Posted by alameda 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 1:59

I am doing a section of a formal bed in pale yellow, mauve, pink and coral - only one problem. Cant seem to find any coral roses - looked on helpmefind, no luck. The new JP rose Catalina looked in the catalog picture like it might work, but I just cant think of any coral colored roses.......any ideas? Thanks!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Suggestions For A Coral Colored Rose

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 2:48

here you go, the results from an advanced search on HMF roses...

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: coral ht's at HMF

o
salmon-coral roses

Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 3:16

Note: I tried searching all of the coral variations in one search (on HMF), but the advanced search got bogged down, telling me to reduce the search factors. So, I will post the results separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: salmon-coral ht's at HMF

o
salmon-pink

Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 3:42

Here are some salmon-pink roses from HMF. I do recommend Color Magic. But I am not familiar with your zone. Color Magic did very well in my garden, although I gave it away because it was too coral toned for my garden!!! I get to see it at my neighbors though :-). Very substantial petals that held up well in the heat of summer and in the vase, HUGE blooms, and a very lovely coral pink color blend!!!

I hope this helps.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: salmon-pink roses at HMF

o

• Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 7:55

In my climate a lot of the so-called "orange" roses are really coral. Tropicana and Folklore are a brighter coral, big healthy bushes with perfect bloom form. The little floribundas First Edition and Dickie are blooming fools and have lovely mounded shapes. The polyanthan Golden Salmon Superior blooms in big trusses of small blooms with white eyes. The old J&P floribunda, Cherish is coral pink, but is no where near as vigorous or productive as the others I've mentioned.

A note, I love Color Magic, love it. It simply is so winter tender that it rarely thrives even in my climate. People actually do buy it and plant it as an annual because they love it so much.

o

First Edition is a blooming fool for us too. Brigadoon is my favorite in this color. We must live in the twight zone though. Color Magic has made it through 2 winters and is one of Deb's favorites.

o

I have always loved Brigadoon colors. Honeysweet and Clementina Carbonieri. Darn, I need to arrange my pics. If I can find Honeysweet, I'll e-mail it.

Carla

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 9:43

'Tournament of Roses' is very nice. Helpmefind calls it pink, but it is more of a coral.

o

First Edition and Dickie are the exact color I have in mind! Becky, I wasnt able to pull up the link on HMF. When I searched there, I wasnt able to come up with much - roses I had never heard of that werent the color I was looking for. Tivoli Gardens posted a photo a year or so ago that gave me the idea for this bed - lovely pastels, like an Easter basket - and a coral rose set the whole thing off. I am getting my rose order ready for Roses Unlimited - they have both of these....going to get them. Digger, I read your glowing comments on First Edition on helpmefind. I am sold!
Judith

o

How about Touch of Class or Boulie's Dream?

o

Bill Warriner is nice and there are the climbers America
and Dreamweaver.

o

Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 18:07

Alameda---this is very strange, because those HMF links worked last night after I posted them--- I checked!!! If still interested, you can do a special HMF search using the HT and color search as I did above. The color search for salmon-pink yielded the most selections (6 pages of roses, if I remember correctly!!!). Some familiar names, some not.

A rose that I've seen (but not grown), is Comtesse de Provence (aka Liv Tyler)--VERY pretty!!! A light to med. coral color, feminine looking and great scent!!!

Becky

o

I grow the coral climber, America (a good rebloomer in my garden) and Salmon Impression. My Silver Jubilee has a coral tint to it also.

o

Judih - I grow the Buck "Honeysweet" and it is a strong coral color. The rose is always in bloom and the blooms are large and hold their color very well. I haven't had much problem with BS either. I like this rose so much I havae two in my garden. Mixes well with pinks and yellows also.
-t

o

Mother's Rose, Spellbound, Ladybird Johnson are all beautiful. Good luck!

o

"Gemini' blushes coral on the petal edges and is healthy and productive in my garden.

It's one of my favorite hybrid tea roses:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gemini

o

Touch of Class, Folklore, Paris de Yves St. Laurent are coral to my eyes in my zone 8 garden. Imperatrice Farah, Gemini have corals on the petals' edge. Waikiki is a bi-color coral with a lighter reverse but this rose is very blackspot prone.

o

Hi Judith,

Last year I bought an older floribunda called Spartan from Lowes and it was a gorgeous coral color!
Sadly, I lost it due to all of the wet weather we had last Spring & Summer. I need to look for it again. ~ julie

o

Julie......you wont believe this but I had a Spartan in my hand at Walmart today.....I didnt buy it because I wanted to look it up. I liked what I saw.....and back I go tomorrow to buy it. Becky.....I did go back to helpmefind and did as you suggested - lots of roses came up. I found one called Charm of Paris that is lovely, may order it. Its the right coral/salmon color I am looking for. Honeysweet is one I want - Chamblees was out when I went this weekend, but will have it later. I think it would look good in the bed I have planned. Am studying the other suggestions too......thanks so much, I was really at a blank when trying to come up with coral.
Judith

o

Sonia is a great bloomer. I used to have one but didn't like the color. Now I do. I got Anisley Dickson ( Dickie) last year and it was a great bloomer from day 1, and seems vigorous and healthy. It's a medium, not washed out coral and the blooms last pretty well. Liv Tyler ( Comtesse de Provence) is one of my favorites and is a strong grower, prolific bloomer and really beautiful.
Linda

o

Oh, that is funny. I'm glad you're going back to get it.

It is a lovely formed bush and has very full blooms.

Almost like a DA rose. I need to check my WM. ~ Julie

o

America is my favorite coral rose.

Nancy Reagan is my favorite peach rose.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 23:50

America is one of my favorites, too. Just bought Nancy Reagan, looking forward to that first bloom. Bought Spartan today at Walmart....hope its not too orange but will be fun to see it bloom. First Edition and Anisley Dickson seem to be the color coral I was looking for, like sea coral beads....to match with the pastels in the new bed. Honeysweet is gorgeous, and might work there. Now if it would just stop raining so I can dig! Supposed to be nice Saturday, and I plan to spend the day in the yard - my SO is going fishing early, so no interruptions!!
Judith

o

I love America in the spring, and it's definitely "Coral." My problem with it is that I can't seem to keep it from losing most of its lower leaves by mid-summer. Might be the climate here, but I've heard others repeat the complaint. Great clove fragrance, though!

I want to second Carla's recommendation of Brigadoon. What a terrific eye-catching rose! Really a blend, not a solid coral color, but if you're looking for overall coral "effect" I think it qualifies.

Nobody's mentioned Artistry, that I noticed, anyway. An ARRS winner in the late 1990s, definitely coral orange, and easy to grow. Not much fragrance, but hey! it makes up for it by practically propagating itself. Mine actually sent up new sprouts from spreading roots (it was an own-root plant). Just so-so bloom form, though.

o

My favorite with out a doubt is Folklore however it is a blend with a coral colour on the top of the petal and a butter yellow on the underside.

I also liked America.

Liane

o

Judith, last year I bought two 'Sweet Promise' (a HT by Meilland, 2007). The blooms are old-fashioned, very full of petals and fragrant. It's foliage deserves a special notice: it is healthy, shiny and new leaves are of beautiful burgundy color.

Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Promise @ HMF

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 08 at 10:04

Loved the photos of Sweet Promise! And found its sold by Teas Nursery - that calls for another trip to Houston. They also have Liv Tyler [Comtesse de Provence] also suggested, which looked enticing. Too tempting!

Folklore is beautiful also....there are more coral choices than I thought!
Judith

o

I have an own-root Dicky also which is very vigorous. The color is quite rich and truly coral. I do not have 100% sun, so I would categorize this rose as disease resistant

claire

o

My fragrant cloud looks coral to me. My plant is very healthy and the smell is fantastic......

o

Tropicana - HT

o

I've had Countess Celeste for several years; she is very healthy for me

Here is a link that might be useful: Countess Celeste at HMF

o

I have a climber that was called Coral Dawn when I bought it. It has gorgeous coral blooms and has grown up my deck. And survived some bad winters.

o

Dickie is available at Roses Unlimited.....I feel an order coming on....I really like Countess Celeste also. These roses are going to go in a new formal bed I am planting.....really like this color. Like Artistry also....
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here