Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691021

Pruning Cimbing Roses help needed please?

User
13 years ago

Last year I planted 2 Polka climbing roses. They grew beautifully. Lots of peach colored blooms.

Everything I've been reading says not to prune them for at least three years. However, after the winter months I noticed a couple of the canes/branches have turned dark brown or black near the ends of them. And some branches are tiny and scraggly. Do I cut these off at pruning time or should I just leave them? Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Basically, you want to leave the main (basal) canes untouched, and just shorten the lateral canes (the ones that sprout from the main canes).

It may take a year or two or three for a climbing rose to produce a number of big strong basal canes--that's the reasoning behind not pruning much for the first few years. You are waiting and hoping for that big strong established growth. Those main canes are good for several years of blooming if well cared for.

The initial growth after planting is often much smaller and twiggier than what will be produced by an established plant.

Still, that initial growth supports the plant while it is establishing, so it is good to leave as much as you can until the big strong growth appears.

If anything is dead, feel free to remove it, because it's not going to do the plant any good.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

This is a good example picture because it's fairly clear on the difference between "juvenile" growth and "established" growth. This is not a climber, but it gives you the idea. Compare the relative size of the canes.

"I" = juvenile growth produced just after planting.
    "II" = intermediate growth, the plant is starting to develop
    "III" = mature or established growth. Note the difference in size between "I", "II", and "III". At this point, for a climber, those "III" canes would start to produce numerous lateral canes with a bloom or cluster of blooms on each.

Hope that helps!!!
    {{gwi:224604}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hoovb ~ Wow, thank you very much for taking the time to do all this for me. This is certainly going to help me a great deal. And of course it will help anyone else that might have the same question. Your explanation about why you shouldn't prune for three years really helps me. I have already printed out this page and am going to use it as my guide to growing my roses. This is a wonderful diagram. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• pfzimmerman
    13 years ago

Here is a video that may help

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Climbing Roses

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pfzimmerman ~ Thank you kindly for the link to the video. I've seen one of his video's before but not this one. He's very good at explaining about pruning. I love his sense of humor too. I thought the part about how you can make a lateral cane become a main cane was pretty interesting. Of course, I don't think I'd be ready to try something like this yet. I'm really happy now that I've learned the difference between a basal cane and a lateral cane.

You'll see too where hoovb gave me a diagram. I've printed it out. I took it with me into the backyard today and compared it with the canes on my climbing rose. It really helped me to identify the parts of my rose canes. The diagram and video are very helpful to a beginner like me. Thanks again.

• lesmc
    13 years ago

A Big Thank you to hoovb and pfzimmerman. I needed this, too. xoxo Lesley

• york_rose
    13 years ago

(FYI, "pfzimmerman" is that "he". ;) )

And yes, I completely agree with you about the value of both Zimmerman's videos and also of hoovb's image. I have already seen Zimmerman's relevant videos and I will "bookmark" hoovb's image for future reference! Even here in Massachusetts (ten miles north of Boston) that's what happens with a climbing rose.

• pfzimmerman
    13 years ago

I'm a he and glad to help. The diagram is excellent and I always tell people the main thing to take away from the videos is not to imitate what I do but learn why I do it and they apply it to your garden.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Happy to be helpful.