Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for colour combinations in our new house

Posted by kans none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 5:34

We are planting roses in our front yard which is a red brick houses. We are planning to buy 5 tree rose and underneath few carpet roses. We need all 5 tree to be in one colour and all carpet in another colour to compliment them. Pls advice any two colours.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for colour combinations in our new house

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:10

It would help to know where you are so we would know if a particular rose would do well for you or not.

On the color it depends on whether you want a lot of high contrast or a more muted look. White or pale colored roses will show up the best against the red brick. For a more subtle look you could do white Iceberg rose trees with a pale pink carpet rose. For a bright look try a yellow tree rose, maybe Julia Child if it's available, with carpet roses in white. There are lots of combinations and no roses really look bad with each other. You just need to decide what look appeals to you most.

o

• Posted by kans none (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:36

Thanks,We live in Melbourne, Australia. I would want it to look more bright and contrasting. I am very poor with colours.

o

I love 'Iceberg' as a tree rose and it would look well against red brick. The tricky part to me is the carpet roses. Aren't their colors limited? Maybe that should be chosen first.

My eye-opening experience with color compatibility was a lavender rose I thought would look great near the climbing 'Handel'. The nursery gave me a bloom which I fastened to the fence. O my. Bad, bad bad.

o

• Posted by curdle 9b, Australia (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 10:28

If you're in Melbourne, you really should try and take a trip to the state rose garden at Werribee (just google it, theres a website). the website has some nice pictures too..and theres more on their Facebook).
They have heaps of tree roses there, plus you can see what looks to be growing best here/ what colours you like together etc. They have some great tree roses using Brass Band (its a orangey/yellow type blend). Theres also gardens in Morwell and Mornington Peninsula...

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:15

Since your in Australia Curdle's idea make sense. A lot of the roses we suggest here might not be available in Oz, lol! On the other hand you guys have some wonderful roses we can't get here so may not even know about. If you can't get to the rose garden see if you can find a rose society somewhere near you. I'm sure they'd be glad to help!

o

• Posted by kans none (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 0:01

Thanks Seil, we ordered iceberg tree and pale pink carpet. My husband felt that was good and also our nursery guy. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here