Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Day of the Dentist

To-day I had to go to the dentist. Not what I wanted to do on a warm, sunny February day, but needs must.

The view from my dentist's waiting room.

{{gwi:225173}}

{{gwi:225174}}

When I got home, I found that the first bloom on my new Firefighter had opened.

{{gwi:225176}}

It smells delicious.
For me this is a landmark. Firefighter is the first hybrid tea rose I have planted since 1965 when I planted The Doctor in my first garden. I normally only grow old roses and David Austin roses.
Hopefully it's petals won't burn in the hot sun later on.
Daisy

Comments (10)

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Oh cut it out - you are just boasting now, Daisy....and even the pain factor does not distract from your paradisical situation.

I had been expecting some story detailing tooth loss due to gardening mishaps.....but perhaps those sort of things only happen to me (2 front teeth, lost on the edge of concrete block cold frame where I hurled myself to avoid landing on the dahlias!)

And obvs, just joking (sort of).

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luckily, it was just to replace an old filling that had come out. Manolis the dentist, is as gentle as a lamb, thank goodness.
    It sounds just like you Camps, to sacrifice your two front teeth for the dahlias. I hope you still have them. The dahlias that is, not the teeth.
    Daisy

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Is that Agios Nikolaos Daisly? Did you opt for the regular local anesthesia or the cheaper raki-based? lol

Don't listen to Camps, she's just jealous despite all the fine weather they're having back in England.
    Nik

Original Author
    10 years ago

It is Elounda, Nik. Just a little further around the coast from Agios Nikolaos, on the Bay of Mirabello.
    I am saving the raki for to-night, so I was glad to use the usual anesthetic. I hope it will have worn off by then, or I will be dribbling from both sides of my mouth.
    What a waste.
    Daisy

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Well I still have teeth (sort of) although they are resting in my pocket right now.....and nope, the dahlias failed to survive my one attempt at being a responsible gardener and digging them up for winter. These days, I accept the 20% attrition rate from leaving them in the ground (far better than the 100% loss of storage attempts.

True, Nik, there have been periods of good weather....almost 30 minutes between rain showers......have to be quick or you miss them. Still, it isn't Ukraine (or Syria, Egypt, Indonesia, Brazil, North Korea, Congo, Sudan.....hell in a handbasket).

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Gosh, Daisy, the privations you're subject to. I much prefer my dentist's view of paved street and lackluster and somewhat shabby houses on the other side. That way I can stay totally focused on the discomfort. (Just kidding, mine is a lamb too).

Ingrid

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I am new to growing Firefighter as well. Strawberry said that it does very well in hot Chicago summers so I thought I would try one. The color and fragrance are very nice indeed.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Reds are particularly bad for mildew here in SoCal. My question would be does it mildew and how bad?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid. Yes it is hard, isn't it?
    I am glad your dentist is gentle too. It makes all the difference.

We will be able to compare notes Kitty, as the season progresses. Both being new to Firefighter.

Henry. There is no sign of mildew yet, but it does have blackspot. This is the first time I have seen blackspot on a rose, since I moved here. I am not too worried though, as I expect it to clear up as we move into summer.
    Daisy

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Daisy, I suspect this will be a particularly bad year for us in terms of fungal diseases since I expect spring to be loooooong and humid. Spring has started in January already..
    Nik

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource