Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalgeorgia

Drip irrigation kits

crystalgeorgia
16 years ago

Hello

I am looking to buy a drip irrigation kit Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Comments (13)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

How many roses? What is the size of the garden?

My starter kit was the Glorious Gardens Rose Kit from Dripworks (it was a Christmas present). Easy to install. I've been able to find additional connectors, tubing and shrubblers locally, and have ordered additional connectors from Dripworks as needed. My main rose bed is pretty much all covered by the system, and this year I'll put in an additional series in the other bed.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Mine is also Drip Works.

Carla

• crystalgeorgia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DiaNE
    If you have time please explain what these items are
    Kit includes:
    1 - Y Type Filter ( FYHL155)
    1 - Easy Loc Hose Beginning ( ELFH)
    20 - Shrubblers® on 5" Stake ( DSHS) - what are shrubblers
    1 - 100' roll of 1/2" Tubing ( 12100) - Why 1/2"
    1 - 100' Roll of 1/4" Tubing ( 14100) - Why 1/4"
    1 - Yellow Punch ( PUY)
    4 - Figure 8 Ends ( CF8) - for the tube i think
    3 - Easy Loc Tees ( ELT) - to tie the tube?
    1 - Easy Loc Coupler ( ELC) - for the joint?
    1 - Easy Loc Elbow ( ELL)
    10 - Goof Plugs ( 14GP2)
    10 - U-Shaped Hold Downs ( SUHD)

For 50 some plants in one bed what should i buy more of? I dont the name of item i migh t need more

Thanks so much in advance I am sure its not as confusing as it sounds

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Take a look at the kit instruction page. It has photos of all of the parts, diagrams of set ups and you can read through how to set it up.

The shrubblers are the emitters where the water comes out next to the plant. The kit is built to handle 20 roses. You can send an e-mail to Dripworks to ask how many shrubblers/emitters that they recommend be on one main system. With add-ins, I think I have 30 on mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF of Glorious Gardens Rose Kit instructions from Dripworks

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

Dripworks staff is very helpful. A call to them would get you personalized help setting up your system and getting all the necessary parts.
    When I ordered a pond pump a few years ago they spent considerable time with me determining the proper size and type I needed. It's a quality pump, works well and was not that expensive.
    At my old home, they helped me with my drip system. It worked well. They are well known in California where water restrictions are tight. They design setups for many large outfits and will take the time to work with you and patiently answer all your questions.
    Their catalog states 'Free Design Service' on the cover.
    The tollfree number is 800-522-3747.
    Although you can find similar looking emitters, etc., at Wal*Mart and other big box stores, those sold by Dripworks are similar in price and much better quality. Their tubing is larger amd more flexible and their emitters don't seem to plug up so easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dripworks irrigation supplies.

• ajwillys
    16 years ago

I set up an irrigation using 1/4" Emitter Tubing hooked to a 1/2" mainline. I find it to be a very versatile method and doesn't have so many parts involved. Basically, you just run the 1/4" Emitter tubing wherever you need a drip and usually make a coil around big plants (such as roses). If a plant needs extra, just coil it around twice. You will need a 1/4" plug at the end of each mainline and that's about ti. The tubing is all under the mulch so you can't even tell when its on. Almost no water is wasted because evaporation is prevented with the mulch.

The stuff I bought is the 6" spacing, 1/2GPH. I also bought some regular 1/4" for the times where I didn't want to 'start' watering until I was far from the mainline... like for a tree out farther away or something.

• firefightrsflame
    16 years ago

sorry to jump in but I am learning some here, too. I have 2gph emitters on my roses and ajwillys has 1/2gph. does that mean I don't need to have such a high emitter? I've been running it 2 week for 1hr. Is that alright or too much for this time of year? Thanks! Terra

• firefightrsflame
    16 years ago

correction- i meant 3x's a week for 1hr. I forgot I changed it.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Karl is correct. They do all the work for you as far as design. Very simple.

Carla

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Also be sure to specify if you're on a well rather than "city" water. Pressure differences and delivery (some wells have only limited capacity to pump so many gallons per hour) make drip systems possible but different for wells.

• ajwillys
    16 years ago

firefightrsflame,

I have 1/2 GPH emitters but they are 6" apart on a tubing that is coiled around the roses.... I would guess that there are 4-5 of them per rose. I run mine about the same amount of time as yours so we are putting close to the same amount of water on ours.

With that being said, I have absolutely NO idea how much water is supposed to go on them and would not attempt to guess. I'm still very new at this.... I was just letting everyone know of the method I used which I find very convenient.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

To determine how much water is getting to any one bush that's on a drip system, place the dripper(s) around that bush in a bucket for one cycle. I have a bucket with gallon markings stamped into it. This makes it easy to measure. Mine get about 5 gallons per bush per week minimum in sandy soil, more if it rains a lot. With my system on a automatic rain shutoff and a sand based soil, too much water is not a problem. Nutrient leaching is though.
    The amount of water an over head watering system delivers to any one bush can be measured with buckets or plastic pans sitting around in the beds. I use tuna cans. When the last one is filled I know a minimum of 1 inch of water has been delivered to the roses. I set my timer accordingly. One inch of water goes deep into the soil keeping the roots down where they belong.

• jont1
    16 years ago

I can't imagine anyone with very many roses--I have about 250--not using a drip irrigation system. I use DripWorks as well and their components are of the finest quality and very easy to work with. I water only when necessary for lack of rain. It is very easy to work in your fertilization/feeding schedule to your drip irrigation syster as well. I do mine that way.