Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_fingerless

Help with my potted rose gift

Green_Fingerless
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm 19, at uni and never had to look after a plant before!
My boyfriend got me a little rose plant in a pot for valentines day 'because plants grow whereas cut flowers die'. Well I'm slightly concerned that this one might die!

I've done a little googling but haven't found anything of much use? It's got leaves and flowers so I guess that means I can't plant it anywhere else yet? I don' t really want to plant it at home and I haven't got a garden at uni, I'm moving in July for a year and then moving again after that. Will it survive if I keep it in a pot? Can it stay indoors (at least for now) and then go outside in a small-ish pot later in the year so I can take it with me when I move (have a garden)?

Also are there any things I need to do to it to make sure it survives (other than water it)? Does it need special food? Do I just cut the flower heads off when they die?

Any info at all greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Comments (9)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I'm afraid you can't keep roses indoors for any length of time, not even the small ones. They need fresh air and sunshine, and good air circulation. Do you have any kind of patio or porch where it well get at least 4-6 hours of sun? When it gets too large for its pots and you see roots coming out the bottom, plant it in a larger pot, maybe a 1-gallon size, making sure there are holes in the bottom of the pot for drainage. As long as you water it regularly and it doesn't outgrow the pot (at which point you'd go up one pot size), a small rose can stay in a pot indefinitely, outside. You can fertilize with fish emulsion at half the strength recommended to keep it growing and blooming. It's a lovely rose. Good luck!

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Tiny balcony off your room or apt? If you don't have a balcony or any other sort of outdoor space, do you have a window which opens? You can get pot holders which can be attached to the wall right outside of your window, and hang the pot there. Anywhere where it is outside. You cannot keep it indoors - it will die. As Ingrid says, keeping it in the pot is fine, and when it gets too big, you can transplant it into a bigger pot.

Also, do not water it and then let it sit in the water in the saucer - it will rot. That is one good thing about keeping it outdoors - you do not need a saucer. Do make sure to water it at least once a week, though.

When the blooms die, you can cut them off, but not doing so will not hurt the rose.

You don't say where you are - what part of the country?

Jackie

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Totally pretty!

• Green_Fingerless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I am in Shropshire!

I have a private alley way I can put it in during the day, and then maybe bring it in at night? Do you think that would be ok? I should have brought it home this week then it could have lived on the patio.. silly me! I will send it home with dad next week when he visits then mum can look after it until I am home haha

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Ha...I see a future gardener here. You're asking the right questions. I agree with all the advice here; also remember that plants in pots may need to be watered more often than they do in the ground. Water it when it gets dry. How do you know when it's dry? Stick your finger down in the soil.
    Don't let the pot freeze: if there's freezing weather in the forecast it needs to come indoors into a cool space until the freeze passes. Snow is okay, though. And, should warm weather ever return to England, remember that pots can also heat up if they're in a very warm and sunny spot, and that's not good. The ideal for roses is cool moist roots, and sun and air for the top growth.
    Enjoy your rose!
    Melissa

• Green_Fingerless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well Little Rose is now in the alley way behind my house. It's a private alley so hopefully no-one will be mean to it, but I do live with students so you never know. I am moving it along to an open area during the day so it can get some sunshine while still being shelter. Then at night I move it to a bit that is still outside, but covered and sheltered so if it gets very windy or rains heavily or there is a frost it is protected.
    This is the most loved and cared for rose there ever was! :-)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Im sure it appreciates the care, and being outside! Don't forget to water it, and when you go home hopefully you can put it into the ground or into a bigger pot which can live on a sunny patio.

Jackie

• Green_Fingerless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well it is still alive so I must be doing something right! Seems to have some new growth on it too. Less than three weeks until the Easter holiday so I will be taking it home then - hopefully mum won't kill it! ;-)

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Green,

The romance of your first rose is a memorable one! Job well done on caring for it :-) As for mum, just tell her to water it once a week and it should be fine! Roses are much more resilient that us mother hens are willing to admit. It's tempting to be a helicopter gardener but I'm sure it will be glad to have a spot in the ground and reward you with health and blooms.

Josh