Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzie29_gw

How would these do these do in Michigan?

suzie29
10 years ago

would they survive the winter or get too much disease?
ty
suz

Hot Cocoa
Julia Childs
Falling in love
Disneyland
Dream Come True
Touch of Class
Molineux

Comments (8)

• Susanne27
    10 years ago

Hi. I am in Ontario and I planted Hot Cocoa and Julia Child last spring, bare root. They blossomed all summer, weren't bothered by bugs or disease. They didn't get very large here in the first season in my sandy soil. I won't know until this spring how they survived the winter or how they will do in their second year. Hope this helps.

Sue

• suzie29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats good to hear.

I wonder if own root or grafted is better & what kind of rootstock?

I am trying to help my mil get a rose garden going.

• Susanne27
    10 years ago

Mine were grafted on the multiflora roostock that is used here in Ontario. I order from either Palatine or Pickering nurseries and plant so that the graft is at least 3" underground - 6" for the tender HT's. It would probably work for you as well in Michigan. I don't know much about own root except that others have mentioned that they take longer to establish but are hardier in the long run. This year I am trying some Austin roses from Austin in Texas and they will be on Dr. Huey rootstock.

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

I planted Julia Child two years ago. When Spring came last year, she had dieback on half of the rose bush. I moved her to a protected area, cut off all of the dead parts and she bloomed beautifully. I can't wait to see if she made it through this year's tough Winter.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

I'm in Ontario. I've had Julia Child for three years and just planted Hot Cocoa. JC has been a total star in my garden - the soil is loamy till, full sun. She hasn't had any trouble with disease or bugs and blooms pretty much all the time.

I don't have a lot of personal experience with rootstock vs. own root, but trust in the wisdom of Pickering and Palatine nurseries, both of which graft on multiflora. Different rootstocks have different advantages/disadvantages in different regions - usually to do with soil type and/or local pests. There is some great info on rootstock on GardenWeb - just do a search and lots will come up.

Karen

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I have all the roses you mention except Falling in Love, which is ordered for this year, and they all survive reasonably well in my zone 5 yard. I'd say the most trouble free for me are Hot Cocoa and Molineux, who sail through my winters and have no problems. My experience with Julia Child was mixed, but it has very good reviews for health and wow impact for your area. Disneyland as a floribunda grew and bloomed well for me, but I had the graft fail over one of my winters, so I'll be replacing it with an own-root version.

As Susanne says, there are benefits of grafted roses in cold zones because they take off a little faster to get established before the winter, though on the flip side the own root roses may have a bit of an edge if the rose is only root hardy and needs to regrow from the base each year. None of the roses you list are a particular fussy-pants in this respect for me, though Touch of Class I'd rate as the least healthy and robust on your list. It's also not the apricot I'd expected, even in shade and cool temperatures, tending more toward a washed out coral pink. Dream Come True is a real trooper for me, even though it's a grandiflora and that category can be fussy at times, and I love the dramatic blooms.

Frankly, I think your MIL would be thrilled at these roses and the mix sounds like a great blend of colors. Just watch the height differences - Julia Child, Hot Cocoa, and Touch of Class tend to be fairly short for me, while Dream come true is quite tall.

Have fun!

Cynthia

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

I am also in Ontario and have grown 3 of the roses on your list. My own experiences are listed below:

Hot Cocoa- Beautiful and unique colour. Not very cane hardy and will die back to the snow line, or a few inches above the soil line in an average winter. Very good mildew resistance, but only average blackspot resistance. Removed from garden.

Julia Child- Heavy blooming rose with fast repeat. The blooms fade quickly in the heat to a light pale yellow. Unfortunately, it was a blackspot magnet in my garden and I removed it last spring. Since it BS'd so bad, it wasn't very hardy for me either and the plant stayed small as well. It is a very charming rose and perhaps I had a dud of a plant.

Molineaux- One of the best yellow roses I have grown. It is not cane hardy though and will die back close to the ground in most winters, but it does have excellent vigour and will quickly regrow and bloom. One of the fastest and heaviest repeat blooming roses in my garden as well. Bloom colour is also very changeable pending location and temperatures. Blackspot resistance here is above average, but it will get some late season BS. Mildew resistance is also excellent.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have or have had all of them except Mollineux.

Hot Cocoa has been in my garden since it came out in 2002 and it winters fine. ugly plant, black spotty but it winters. I keep it because it was one Mom bought and I can't part with it. Besides, I have this thing about roses that can hold up against our winters. If they can survive them who am I to kill them?

Julia Child, LOVE IT! Had her since 2010 and she has wintered green to the tips every year. Not sure about this year though...

Falling IN Love is THE thorniest rose on earth but lovely blooms and has wintered very well in the pot ghetto for 2 years.

Disneyland Rose was really pretty but, alas, did not winter it's first year.

Dream Come True is a very good survivor since 2008. Has been both potted and in the ground and grows like a horse. Really nice rose.

Touch of Class wasn't a good winterer. I bought it twice and both times it did not survive it's first winter.

All of mine are grafted, probably on Dr. Huey, and the grafts are not buried but are right at soil level whether in a pot or in the ground. I do always protect the potted ones. The ones in the ground got some protection some years but recent years have not gotten any protection at all. I'm getting very curious about how all my roses are going to do this arctic winter!?

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource