Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Carruth Roses

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 8:19

There seem to be so many good roses from Tom Carruth. Right now I have only four, but have a few coming for the upcoming season. I am curious to know which ones are your favorites. Right now I have Ch-Ching, Drop Dead Red, Love Song and Mellow Yellow. I had been totally uninformed about new roses in recent years and didn't even know about Tom Carruth until I joined this forum. I ordered Love Song because I thought the cluster of lavender was lovely, I ordered Ch-Ching because it looked like a good bloomer and Mellow Yellow and Drop Dead Red were replacements for other roses I had ordered, but they have all turned out to be good choices. I would have to say Love Song is my favorite. Which ones are your favorites?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Carruth Roses

Sara Ann,
Among my moderns, I probably have more Carruth roses than any other breeder. Most do really well here, and the local nurseries tend to stock a good selection of them. Since my list is long and really none have been duds for me, I’ll just name my top ten favorites: Grand Dame, Julia Child, Scentimental, Chris Evert, Falling in Love, Wild Blue Yonder, Outta the Blue, Colorific, Cinco de Mayo and Hot Cocoa.

Grand Dame

photo gd0531a_zpsd5f2e688.jpg

o

Tom Carruth has certainly bred some lovely roses! My favorite is 'Memorial Day'!

pat_bamaZ7, your 'Grand Dame' looks fantastic!

Christina

o

Pat, that is a fabulous Grande Dame photo. Is she as good a bloomer as she looks?
All my Carruth roses are favorites, but the world class rose, Julia Child, is at the top for me. I also love Twilight Zone, Diamond Eyes, Ebb Tide (even with fading), Blueberry Hill, Wild Blue Yonder, and I hope, Love Song which is coming to my garden this spring. I guess Memorial Day, which so many love, is not on my favs' list. I forgot about that one. I have multiples of many of these, I like them so well. Diane

o

I forgot to mention that I love that exquisite photo of Love Song, Sarah-Ann. Diane

o

Diane,
She's a big girl here, blooms her head off and smells like heaven:

photo zzzgd0909b_zps80e23865.jpg

o

I recently planted his climber, "Night Owl". This rose is what gave its progeny, "Diamond Eyes" that rich red-wine color. Sorry, no pictures yet. I had the pleasure of meeting Tom Carruth at our rose society meeting. Now that he is retired from Weeks, he was named curator of the rose gardens at the Huntington Gardens in California. A large grant was received to renovate the gardens and Tom Carruth is making some beautiful changes. It is a no-spray garden now! Old arbors and statues were restored. Weeks was contracted to re-bud/rejuvenate a lot of the old roses. New roses and companion plants have also been planted. Mr. Carruth said the gardens should be at their peak around the second week of April. If you live in California or plan on visiting, a day at the Huntington Gardens is certain to be a memorable time. They are located at 1151 Oxford Road San Marino, CA 91108. I plan on going soon so I can see the before and after. :)

o

Thank you everyone. Yes, that Grand Dame is heavenly, Pat! I am excited to read about all these wonderful roses. One I keep forgetting that I have and is one of his also, is Meredith. I know I've posted a picture of it, it is a lovely pale pink. It is a good one too, but not as much of a standout as the other four. It does have a wonderful fragrance.

o

Would love to see some more Carruth roses.

o

I don't have a lot of stripes in my garden, but the ones I do have are Carruth roses. In addition to Scentimental that I already listed, Rock & Roll, George Burns and Chihuly are great stripey roses for me.

Here's Rock & Roll:

photo zzzrockroll1013a_zpsb1819e19.jpg

o

Pat, I love that picture of Rock 'N Roll!

o

Julia Child is one of the best roses I've seen in years. Other favorites include Rock & Roll, Twilight Zone, Hot Cocoa, & Strike It Rich

o

Julia Child has been my 'gateway' rose, and she's been fantastic. She'll always be a favourite. I also have Wild Blue Yonder and it's great too. I planted Hot Cocoa in late fall and in the spring I'm expecting Cinco de Mayo, Twilight Zone, and Blueberry Hill.
Julia Child photo JuliaChildcloseup2_zpsbf40c0fc.jpg

o

Dollsandroses and redwolfdoc, thank you. Beautiful picture of Julia Child. Seems like there are certain ones that are really popular. Julia Child and Twilight Zone are two that I have coming, also Dick Clark, Moonstone and Neptune.

o

Dollsandroses, I forgot about Strike it Rich...love that one, too!

o

Wow - Pat, Love the coloring in Strike It Rich!

o

Thanks, Sara Ann!
I forgot I also have About Face - planted in fall. Pat, love that Strike it Rich. Is there much colour variation between blooms?

o

Redwolfdoc, The blooms all open the same rich gold with red edging on the outer petals, but they do "tan" to red edging on all the petals over time. Below isn't a great picture, but shows a bloom that has "tanned".

o

I grow a few (?) of Tom's roses. These will probably always have a home in my garden; Crystalline, Moonstone, Stainless Steel, Hot Cocoa, Julia Child, Fourth of July. If you really look, you will see that Mr. Carruth has made a huge impact on the rose world.

o

Pat, thanks for that. The 'tanning' on Strike it Rich is lovely as well... perhaps that one should go on my wish list!

I absolutely love Stainless Steel in pictures, but the zone 7 rating on HMF has put me off. I can stretch my yard to zone 6 or even 6b, but 7 is probably pushing it. Has anyone grown Stainless Steel in colder climes?

Karen

o

Thanks everyone. It's interesting to know which ones are everyone's favorites.

o

This is my first year with mellow yellow, and it has been amazing. Vigorous, lots of good sized blooms, and no mildew or BS. It does not faid, and lasts quite awhile. 3'-4' I have order Julia Child and Stainless Steel for 2015

o

Wendt - I loved my Mellow Yellow and I didn't realize how much I would miss it. It didn't make it through the winter. I ordered one from Palatine for 2015. I was looking at all the Carruth roses on Regan's website, there are so many I still want to try. Planted Julia Child this year, love it so far.

o

Wow, Love Song is SPECtacular, and its a zone 5. Thanks, Sara Ann, I'll sure be interested in one if I can find it for a reasonable price in Canada.

o

Julia Child is gorgeous and floriferous as ever. I didn't know what I as doing when I planted her (she was my first rose) and the graft is above the soil line, but she came through this past winter without skipping a beat. Fantastic rose.

Wild Blue Yonder hasn't been at all happy for me this year. Only one tiny flush of maybe 3 blooms in the spring and nothing since - not even any new cane growth to speak of. Maybe didn't like the winter so much. I did move it back in April as well. I hope it recuperates for next year!

New for me this season were Cinco de Mayo, Hot Cocoa, Marilyn Monroe and Twilight Zone. They've all been great - CdM was slow to take off but has been a bloom machine since mid-season. HC hasn't been overly floriferous but not bad for 1st year and MM and TZ have been downright amazing.

I also had About Face from Hortico and Blueberry Hill from Pickering. They didn't survive the winter - both showed early growth and then withered and died. Pickering refunded my money quickly and without hassle, and I'm STILL playing phone tag with Hortico.

Here are a few Marilyn Monroe blooms with a freshTwilight Zone bloom sneaking in:
 photo IMG_3209_zpsc8d3f625.jpg

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here