Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Does anyone grow Sonia?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone still grows Sonia, a grandiflora? The only place I could find it listed was Roses Unlimited. I used to really like that rose. It was a very popular florist rose and I think it is much prettier than some of the newer ones. I looked it up on HMF and it looked like it is still fairly popular. I was wondering, because I rarely see it mentioned.

Comments (12)

• susan4952
    10 years ago

It sure is pretty!

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

Does anyone sell Sonia?

I am looking to buy one, anyone knows where I can get it????

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just out of curiosity I looked on several websites. Heirloom lists it, but it says out of stock, I'm not sure when they update their list. Roses Unlimited also lists it. You could email Pat for availability. There may be more places that possibly have it, haven't checked them all out yet.

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, thank you for "snooping around" on my behalf! : )

This isn't my first year looking for Sonia. As RU is my primary choice of nursery I checked with them, the answer was no. I will check again this year this year. I no longer refer to RU's list because I don't think they always have what are listed, isn't htat true?

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I bought 2 this spring at our local Home Depot this past spring. She really is pretty. Good luck finding her. Judy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, rosybunny you're right, RU doesn't always have what is on the list. Maybe you can get lucky and find it like Judy did. I wish some of those varieties that have been around awhile were more readily available, but I guess there is not enough demand. I do wish you the best in finding it. I wouldn't mind having it again myself.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, I have Sonia. I love her in a bouquet with Henry Fonda - a combo my dad chose. I'm having trouble placing her. The coral color doesn't combine well with my other colors.

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

I used to have it but was not crazy about the color at that time. I have thought about trying it again, because it was an outstanding plant - almost continuous, vigorous, healthy I think, and prolific.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I agree about the color. You know in early spring the big stores like HD get tons of potted roses for $10 and your own roses aren't blooming yet so you're weak weak and buy 10 roses! That was me and when I got home and planted it it took me a while to get use to that color and finally decided to give it time and it really grew on me. I love the color in its lighter stages though. It does bloom quite often. Good luck!!

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, RU will have Sonia next spring, I'm going to order one.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I really like my Sonia and I got it own root from Roses Unlimited. It has grown well so far, as typical of their roses, and even snuck in a bloom on me before I could get it disbudded (I nip off buds in the first year to help build more structure to survive the winters). It has grown nicely bushy and we'll see if it's as tall as predicted, but I have been pleased with its vigor and general avoidance of most blackspot. It's in my "hot" bed of HT/floris, so as far as I'm concerned, the more color the better. So far it doesn't seem to fade like some of the apricot/orange roses can do, and given that it's near Tropicana, Fragrant Cloud, and Oranges and Lemons, it's welcome to put out blooms that are as garish as it pleases.

BTW, the way to interpret Roses Unlimited website is that they list all the roses for which they have mother plants and are propagating for sale. You're right that you can't tell from this listing which of the roses are currently available, though the vast majority of them are, but Pat responds quite promptly to emails asking about particular roses, and she's very generous with suggestions for roses that might suit you if you ask.

Below is the one bloom I let it get away with this year.

Cynthia

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosybunny - So glad you are going to be able to get Sonia. Cynthia - Thanks for your explanation. Love your picture of Sonia.