Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 9:15

Does anyone grow this as a climber in zone 5? I've got a friend who asked me whether it would work or not, but this rose has never been on my radar. How is it for hardiness, rebloom, disease resistance, and scent? How big will it get here? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

This doesn't help you much, as I am in Zone 8, but I love that rose. I grow it as a climber, and it is huge. It is very floriferous and doesn't get blackspot - but I do spray fungicides.

o

I'm in northern jersey, zone 6A. I got an own root from Chamblees that literally grew 3 feet in one season, the tallest out of all of my roses. It's definitely a climber, the canes are tall and needed to be tied to the fence behind it. The flowers are beautiful, last abnormally long for an austin (like 4 days) since it was a one year plant I only got a few blooms but they didn't have much scent, which is normal for me and young plants. I'd give it a year though to get better.

One thing i must say though, it is very very thorny. I'll try and get a picture up of the thorns. Thorns don't bother me though, if the plant can prove itself to be good thorns don't matter at all to me.

Let me know of you need anything else.

Drew

This post was edited by zone6-nj on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 17:31

o

I am from Texas so cant attest to hardiness in zone 5 [though it has seemed like it here the last few weeks]. I really like this rose - it gets very large on my big fan trellis, healthy foliage and lots of blooms. Yes, its thorny, but that's not a problem. It is a really pretty rose and very healthy. Chamblees prices are great - I would suggest trying it and mulching well in winter or laying it down and covering with burlap and hay. Am sure you will be pleased with it.
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here