Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Designing and organizing cramped entry for gardening

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 9:22

We've just started a kitchen remodel and I've finished all the major design selection and have turned my attention to the entry. I've attached a picture of the back door. The basement stairs are directly opposite the door. There is a small closet just left of the stairs. (20" wide) I've never really had anything set up for organizing garden elements etc. There is no real entry or mudroom.

photo P1030694_zps0919e992.jpg

I was looking at the Gabrielle system at Potterybarn. I wish all my gardening stuff looked that pretty. The link is below. Think its practical? Thoughts or suggestions for organizing with gardening in mind?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabrielle system

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Designing and organizing cramped entry for gardening

This sort of system requires many pretty containers to look good. If you want to show off lined baskets, fancy crocks, jars, etc. it's a good way to go. Also storage is limited to small items mostly. The colors of the bins, jars, etc. are limited so they look good together. Clear jars need to stay shiny to look good.

What looks nice for less is an old country style table which is cut down to be narrow and the 2 legs re attatched so that the table hugs the wall. Paint it one color and paint narrow shelves the same color. The peg rails on the wall are easy to make. On top of the table you can put baskets or wood crates. If you turn the crates, you can make cubbies. Everything comes down when you need a work table. I like old buffets with drawers and doors for tools and little things. I have a few in my garage from yard sales. They cost @ $20.00
and they hold almost everything. Don't forget the garden pictures for inspiration and a vase of flowers. If I had the room, I'd have a sink for cut flowers and handwashing.

I think I would do a utility storage buffet or table with drawers and the Gabrielle look above so you get the design but have more storage below for things that don't fit in pretty crocks or hang neatly from a hook.

o

nice orange! Am wearing my orange pants (although I call them trousers) as I type - a cheerful colour, I think (my hall is that colour too).

However, the hooks and shelves are completely outside the scope of my experience (apart from gasping at the cost).

o

Is this an indoor space? Or is this the garage. I am confused because of the fridge. This area looks perfect for that system. I also like kitty's suggestions.
I am not gifted in the storage department. Every piece I have is covered with stuff, and my garage looks like a thermonuclear event took place.
I am envious of people who have that knack for making storage areas look cool and functional. That is not me. But the orange is very cheerful,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here