Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanne27

Has Anyone Tried Poseidon?

Susanne27
10 years ago

I know that mauve and purple roses are disease prone and generally not too highly rated but I absolutely love the colour in a rose. I bought Wild Blue Yonder last year and time will tell how is grows but I did love the blooms. Palatine shows a floribunda called Poseidon (Novalis) which is a Kordes 2011 release. They describe that rose as lavender with an old fashioned frilly bloom. It looks gorgeous in their picture and I notice that it is sold out this year. They describe it as being in a group of floribundas ( fairytales line) that is disease resistant and vigorous. If it is true I will have to have it. Anyone have experience with this rose?

Comments (53)

• Susanne27
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the input. It sounds promising. Looks like I may have another lavender rose.
    Sue

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

A close-up.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow! That's gorgeous!!
    Any scent?

Stunning!
    Carol

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Gorgeous photo, Morden Man! Your garden must be stunning! And I think Poseidon just moved up on my wishlist...

Karen

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

That is quite pretty. Thanks for the look and the discussion. I have been curious about this one. I may get one if I can get some room somewhere. Does anyone have both Poseidon and Love Song? How do they compare?

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Thanks all. The rose does all the work.

Carol,

The scent is no more than light at best unfortunately, but is more than offset by its disease resistance, vigour and bloom production. It is a very charming rose as well.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

TMM, good to hear from you, and thanks for the update on this one! Nice to have a mauve/lavender with good resistance!

• Susanne27
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh! That is stunning.

Thank you.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but Mordern _ man or any norther zoners, how does poseidon winter over?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

I've had mine for two years. Its first winter was worse than this one and it came through like a total trooper. One of the best in my garden. It was full of blooms all season and went into this past winter about 5 feet tall. I don't think it has more than a few inches of cane damage even! Haven't pruned yet though so can't say for sure. Looks amazing.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    8 years ago

Mine has become a tree! A really solid performer here. One of my healthiest roses!

8 years ago

Good, then at least there is hope for me in zone 4.... I think I'm already going to have to keep plum perfect and love song in a pot...

• enchantedrosez5bma
    8 years ago

My Poseidon is doing great. I bought own root last year from RU and she bloomed really well. I don't have any area of my garden that gets the preferred 6 hours or more of sun but my roses still manage to bloom nicely. Poseidon was no exception. I cut it back to about 15 inches in late fall since it is planted near the sidewalk and has lots of snow shoveled on it which tends to break the canes. Although we are stated as zone6a we had a few nights of 12 below. I was concerned about some of my roses not being hardy enough but all with the exception of Compassion and Golden Gate Climber are growing like mad, Compassion and GG died back to the roots. Most are already completely leafed out. Poseidon came through great and is super healthy with gorgeous smoky purple mauve buds that bloom into silvery purple ruffled delights. She does have a scent though it is mild. I was so impressed by her performance last year as that i ordered two more!

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mine is giant. Eight feet tall, over four feet wide across the top. Vase shaped, with long, thick, naked legs. I have it at the back of the border. I don't especially love it, but it doesn't have much in the way of blackspot trouble and is generally carefree.

8 years ago

How tall does it get for you in zone 5? It's description shows it not getting very tall, but these comments make me think 2-2.5 feet tall might be a bit off. Cold zoners?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

This was taken July 3 last year. It's 3 feet and started from the ground. It was about 5' by the end of season and it doesn't look as if I'll need to take much cane off of it when I prune next week.

8 years ago

Beautiful!! Thank you!

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Love your picture, redwolfdoc! I planted mine last year and it didn't do very good at the beginning of the season, then it bloomed a little later on. Mine isn't very big yet, but is very healthy, getting ready to bloom, anxious to see it. Sure hope it doesn't get eight ft. tall!

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    8 years ago

Is everyone growing it own root?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

I am growing it in NE FL in a pot on its own root. It is very healthy. Never seems to get blackspot. Needs a larger pot now though lol.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Mine is on multiflora.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Multiflora. Mine is from Palatine.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    8 years ago

I'm assuming the height is because of the multiflora rootstock. I just planted my own root from Chamblee's last week so I'll see how it compares.

8 years ago

I also got own root from chamblees... I was going to order another but they are sold out...

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    8 years ago

Mine is a couple years old from Palatine. I had to dig it up in 2015 in April to make way for new deck and stone flowerbeds. It is still in a big pot and growing very well and has started to bloom - never missed a beat. Seems to be a strong plant. I am going to pair it with Plum Perfect, Lavender Simplicity and Lavender Veranda and some pinks.....I think the different lavender tones will be interesting.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    8 years ago

hi ModestGoddess- I have 2 own root purchased last year from either Chamblee's or RU, I can't remember which. These came through a pretty cold winter without a lot of snow cover beautifully. Last year these grew about 4 feet tall so it did get tall for own root, especially for its first year in the garden.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

Mine is ownroot. I can't even imagine it grafted!

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    8 years ago

Our Cooperative Extension has a Demonstration disease resistant rose garden and we planted it about 2 years ago. It has done well and has a nice fragrance. Limited blackspot on it and if any not seen until late August. Ours is own root too which came from Roses Unlimted (RU).

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

I got mine last year from Palatine. A healthy, vigorous, tall growing bush that blooms a lot. My only negative was that the thrips like it, too.

8 years ago

Mine is own root and in a pot (as I mentioned previously) I forgot to say its over 5 ft tall. Kinda growing like it wants to climb for some reason. Its in full sun. I think this one just wants to get big. I would like to get it grafted on fortuniana. I really love the color of this rose. I got it as a small band last spring from Hierloom.

8 years ago

Wow, sultry_jasmine...A small band to over 5ft tall in a year! That is some serious growth!

8 years ago

Hi, thank you but I cant take credit lol. Its the Florida climate. Some of my baby tea roses do take longer to get going but just about any other variety goes nuts here.

• Angel Elizondo
    6 years ago

I live next to the Rose Gardens here in Portland, Oregon and the Poseidon roses are my favorite ones there :)

6 years ago

I guess since this thread came back up lol, I can update on my Poseidon. I do believe it has sported into a climber. Close to 14 ft before I just whacked it back about a month ago. I have cut it back in efforts to make it bushier several times and it immediately grows back to 10 feet then up to about 14 ft in a few more months. It seems to like to stay about that high.

I have it own root in a small pot. I was going to give it a larger pot but discovered it broke itself out the bottom of the pot holes and is in the ground! I'm used to that with roses grafted on Doc Huey but own roots don't normally break out pots here. So apparently, Poseidon is good in the ground, own root in NE FL.

It is a narrow climber here. The leaves stay green and healthy and it blooms alot. I love this rose. I need to order a bush form so I will have both.

~Sjn

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

14 ft?! I cannot even envision that . Does it bloom all over? I am stunned . Haha hope you will share photos . I have one coming and I think I want to put it on a bird feeder pillar . It will be the centerpiece of my bed . Sounds like it is living up to its name !

• Chey - 6b Massachusetts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Buy Palatine if you can. Best quality roses I've received thus far. As for Lavender blooms, I have a Sweetness Tree Rose from Jackson & Perkins and she's a giver. I bring her in the side of my cellar in the winter (similar temps to a garage). Two of my Enchanted Evening Tree Roses came back last year, but ended up getting Black Spot toward the end of the summer. Plum Perfect is an amazing purple. Oh, I bought Le Petit Prince from Palatine as well. Gorgeous and healthy. Here are other lavender/purple roses to consider.

This is Plum Perfect (no fragrance)

Sweetness Tree Rose (Very Fragrant & My Favorite)

Sweetness Tree Rose prior to bloom (reference size)

Midnight Blue Rose

Le Petit Prince

Enchanted Evening Tree Rose

• redwolfdoc_z5
    6 years ago

Here in zone 5 mine (on multiflora, from Palatine) is now going into its 4th season and likes to be 6-7 feet tall. Even with cutting it nearly to the ground after winter! It's one of my best roses!

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    6 years ago

I have Plum Perfect & it is fragrant. I use it as a border rose in my rose garden since it’s about 3’ x 3’.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

I’ve had my Poseidon long enough now to know it’s a very good rose. Mine is close to six feet tall, a good bloomer and disease resistant. The only fault mine has, is when there’s been lots and lots of rain, not just normal rainfall, but several inches in a short period of time, the blooms are tacky! Of course last year in the middle of its big bloom flush was when we had lots and lots of rain! Normally the blooms are a lovely lavender blue and beautiful IMO. Love them in bouquets! I’ve ordered another one for this season.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I’ll update too, since it’s been a while. This should be helpful for those in hot dry climates. In my climate, Poseidon’s blooms fry in the summer sun. Really really fry.

Lavender Roses: Love Song vs Poseidon · More Info
    Last summer I rigged up an ugly set up with an old screen from a sliding glass door on an upside down wheelbarrow to shield it from the sun, every time it was about to bloom. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked. I was pretty much set to remove Poseidon. Then it bloomed in the fall and I didn’t need to use the screen. I got this huge vaseful.

I think I have the bush form, but it grows tall! When it reaches over 8F, I cut it back. It blooms so well, and the flowers are so lovely, that I think I’ll keep it, and find a part shade spot for it. I do love it. It’s healthy, no powdery mildew, and blooms in huge flushes!

I had to edit this. I accidentally hit submit after my first photo. Added the rest later. Lisa

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    6 years ago

Good to know about Poseidon blooms frying in the sun. I have my eye on this rose as well. Moonstone is like that for me. I have not seen a good moonstone bloom. It balls in the rain and fry in the sun. I am considering moving it to a more shadier area. But the whole bush looks healthy and happy though.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Jjpeace, I don’t know if Poseidon’s blooms fry in the full sun everywhere. I haven’t seen others mention it. It could be that it’s only in particular regions, where the sun is very intense. I’d be interested to hear from anyone else in a similar area, as to whether or not Poseidon’s blooms fry in full sun. My ‘Love Song’ OTOH, doesn’t fry at all in blazing sun all day, and that’s in a large pot. The Poseidon blooms that I get in early spring and late fall don’t have this frying problem. I would consider leaving Poseidon where it is, if it were smaller and easier to shield from the sun during the summer. However, my Poseidon wants to grow enormous! I really have no idea how tall it would get if I let it. I’ve cut it back quite severely several times during the year. It jumps back up to a slim (3 1/12F wide) 8F tall plant in about 4-5 months. I bought a passion vine to grow with it to shade the blooms from the sun, but I’ve since decided against planting it. I don’t think it would shade the blooms, just the leaves, and then I’d have another monster to deal with. Passion vine anyone? :) Lisa

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    6 years ago

Lisa, I have seen my blooms fry when it is in the 90’s.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Wow these photos are so beautiful on this rainy day ! Chey, If post often I must miss it but wanted to say thanks for sharing a glimpse of your garden . Please show more when you like! It looks lovely

redwolf , Lisa and Sara Ann , I love your photos and can't wait to get mine. It's coming from palantine which is even more exciting. Lisa glad you could work out something to keep it happy ! Passionvine grows here like a foot a day so I don't know if I would plant that in ca lol

• ac91z6
    6 years ago

Kentucky_rose, how much/what sort of sun is your 'Poseidon' in? I'm thinking of ordering one this spring and I've got a spot that would be morning only direct sun, bright shade/shade after. I may have to reconsider this rose, because we get about 4-5 weeks of at minimum the low 90s in the summer.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    6 years ago

ac9tz6, my Poseidon is in all day sun. When Poseidon’s blooms are frying so are a lot of other blooms in my garden. This doesn’t really bother me like thrips and Japanese Beetles, both attracted to Poseidon. Poseidon is still a great rose bush, lots of long stem blooms.

• ac91z6
    6 years ago

There aren't many, maybe not any, places in my yard that get more than 6 hours of direct sun, so I think I'll give it a try. I'm not expecting a lot of any plant in August, but I'll still put it somewhere somewhat out of sight. Thank you Kentucky_rose!

• synchronicity1111
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I know this post was written years ago, but I just saw this and had to chime in. I am not an expert gardener and just started growing roses a few years ago. I live in zone 7a (on Long Island). Long Island is known for brutally cold winters with blizzard conditions and disgusting, hot, humid, and rainy summers.

I love the color purple, especially lavender and 2 summers ago It seemed Poseidon was sold out everywhere. I went crazy looking for this rose. I finally found it being sold as a bare root online at he White Flower Farm online. I bought it and it was expensive, but I wasn't sorry! It is my most prolific grower and has now ballooned up to at least 7+ foot tall by about 5 1/2 feet across and handles my frigid cold winters like a champ. It blooms prolifically and there seems to never be a time when it is not in bloom.

The only thing I hate about it is the blooms don't last long, when it gets really hot some of the blooms fry and if it rains a lot the blooms get a little yucky and ball up a little. However, it is constantly putting out more blooms so that makes up for it. The color is exquisite and I adore it!! It is the only rose bush in my garden that out of 25+ roses, likes my climate and keeps growing until the end of October.

• verdantcroft
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I had thought from pictures that the bloom form and colors of Poseidon and Polka would look lovely together, but a stiff vase-shaped plant with naked legs might make growing Poseidon as anything but a specimen plant something of a challenge. Guess I'll keep reading and see what else comes up about those two plants and others in that color range....

Alot of these old threads have really good information in them; it's good to read them again (or maybe the first time).