Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Favorite roses with button-eyes

zaphod42
10 years ago

I'm interested in finding and adding more roses to the garden with the pronounced button-eye. Thought others might be interested in a list. Don't worry about zones or disease resistance. Just a compilation of roses you have or have had that have the button-eye.

Mme Hardy - White with green button-eye

Comments (13)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Christopher Marlowe' has a very charming button eye and is also a good bloomer and healthy plant.

{{gwi:225769}}

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

Wow! That's beautiful!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I agree! That's gorgeous!!
    Carol

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

SdlM usually shows it's button eye for me

{{gwi:225770}}

and Marchesa Boccella

{{gwi:225771}}

Rouge Royale...there's a button in there somewhere

{{gwi:225772}}

Apricot Drift...just a landscape Drift rose, but has the cutest button eye

{{gwi:225773}}

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh my!!! Such sumptuousness!!! Gasp!!
    Carol

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

'Centifolia' has a lovely button eye; so do 'Mme. Plantier' and 'Fantin-Latour'. HMF rates all these as hardy in Zone 5. These are all beautiful, very fragrant, near-faultless roses of easy cultivation, though once-blooming. The old blooms do hang on 'Mme. Plantier'. Flower form, double, and shapely; 'Mme. Plantier' is often quartered. Color: 'Centifolia', clear medium pink; 'Mme. Plantier', milky white from pink-stained buds; 'Fantin-Latour' soft pink.
    Oh yes, I forgot: 'Capitaine John Ingram', an enchanting Gallica-ish dark Moss, with small, double blooms with a button eye; the petals are violet and velvety on the upper surface and lavender and smooth below. You need to look at the flowers closely to appreciate them; it's not a rose for general garden effect. Take a chair out and sit with it a while. The color goes very well with clear pinks (like 'Centifolia').
    If you ask this question again in late May-early June, I can probably come up with more varieties.
    Melissa

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 2:08

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Beautiful buttons, hoov, and Pat. I love them all. I couldn't pick a favorite, but I will say I didn't realize Apricot Drift could be so lovely and petal filled; and Christopher Marlowe is not only gorgeous, but has a highly unusual and appealing, many petaled look.
    I just realized I may have more button eyes ones than I thought, but here are two favorites of mine.
    First, is Evelyn. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And second is The Prince. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Some lovely roses here. Hoov, I love that CM!

I think the only one I have that gets any kind of button center is Rose de Rescht.
    {{gwi:225774}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

These are all so sweet looking! I'm enjoying this thread and hope to see more pictures posted. Diane, if you have more, please post them.

Here's Perle d'Or showing a button:

{{gwi:225775}}

• suebelle_neworleans
    10 years ago

I love this topic. Here is my favorite rose with a button-eye.
    Small bush in my area, but great roses. Very Fragrant, too.

Fair Bianca

• msjam2
    10 years ago

My favorite, Mary Magdalane

{{gwi:225778}}