Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite roses with button-eyes

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:33

I'm interested in finding and adding more roses to the garden with the pronounced button-eye. Thought others might be interested in a list. Don't worry about zones or disease resistance. Just a compilation of roses you have or have had that have the button-eye.

Mme Hardy - White with green button-eye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite roses with button-eyes

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 13:14

'Christopher Marlowe' has a very charming button eye and is also a good bloomer and healthy plant.

photo ChrisMarlowe8724.jpg

o

Wow! That's beautiful!

o

I agree! That's gorgeous!!
Carol

o

SdlM usually shows it's button eye for me

photo zzzsdlm1025b_zps148026fb.jpg

and Marchesa Boccella

photo zzzmb1010_zps56c69633.jpg

Rouge Royale...there's a button in there somewhere

photo zzzrr0925b_zps48c6886b.jpg

Apricot Drift...just a landscape Drift rose, but has the cutest button eye

photo zzzad1020_zpscbe547be.jpg

o

Oh my!!! Such sumptuousness!!! Gasp!!
Carol

o

'Centifolia' has a lovely button eye; so do 'Mme. Plantier' and 'Fantin-Latour'. HMF rates all these as hardy in Zone 5. These are all beautiful, very fragrant, near-faultless roses of easy cultivation, though once-blooming. The old blooms do hang on 'Mme. Plantier'. Flower form, double, and shapely; 'Mme. Plantier' is often quartered. Color: 'Centifolia', clear medium pink; 'Mme. Plantier', milky white from pink-stained buds; 'Fantin-Latour' soft pink.
Oh yes, I forgot: 'Capitaine John Ingram', an enchanting Gallica-ish dark Moss, with small, double blooms with a button eye; the petals are violet and velvety on the upper surface and lavender and smooth below. You need to look at the flowers closely to appreciate them; it's not a rose for general garden effect. Take a chair out and sit with it a while. The color goes very well with clear pinks (like 'Centifolia').
If you ask this question again in late May-early June, I can probably come up with more varieties.
Melissa

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 2:08

o

Beautiful buttons, hoov, and Pat. I love them all. I couldn't pick a favorite, but I will say I didn't realize Apricot Drift could be so lovely and petal filled; and Christopher Marlowe is not only gorgeous, but has a highly unusual and appealing, many petaled look.
I just realized I may have more button eyes ones than I thought, but here are two favorites of mine.
First, is Evelyn. Diane

o

And second is The Prince. Diane

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 15:37

Some lovely roses here. Hoov, I love that CM!

I think the only one I have that gets any kind of button center is Rose de Rescht.
Rose de Rescht photo rdr2013_06030112_zps53df60a0.jpg

o

These are all so sweet looking! I'm enjoying this thread and hope to see more pictures posted. Diane, if you have more, please post them.

Here's Perle d'Or showing a button:

photo zzzpdo1027_zps5d4f6fce.jpg

o

I love this topic. Here is my favorite rose with a button-eye.
Small bush in my area, but great roses. Very Fragrant, too.

Fair Bianca

o

I'm excited to hear Capitaine John Ingram on the list. I just planted one last year and can't wait to see it bloom this year.

Comice de Tarn-et-Garonne

photo Comice_2013_zps06d4a9c8.jpg

o

My favorite, Mary Magdalane

photo DSCN2174.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here