Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SOS..Newly planted rose laves turning yellow

Posted by angel-face none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:08

I have newly planted a own root floribunda, most likely blushing iceberg. But 2 days after potting, many of its leaves have turned yellow. Some of the buds are dropping too. We have enough warmth here in tropics even during this part of the year, so that is not the problem. I have ensured that i am not over/ under watering the plant. What else could be the reason...Remedy?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SOS..Newly planted rose laves turning yellow

Sometimes when you plant a rose the roots get damaged, and cannot support the top growth, and it dies. To prevent this, I would immediately prune back your rose to maybe 12 inches high. Take off all of the blooms and buds - they will be replaced if it survives. After you have pruned it down to a small size, DO NOT feed it - just make sure it has lots of water (which it needs temporarily because of lack of roots) and good drainage - that is very important. If it survives, it will just sit there for a while (weeks) looking like it is not doing anything. It is actually growing roots under the dirt, which you cannot see. Then it will start to sprout leaf buds, and eventually flower buds, and away you go.

Jackie

o
RE: SOS..Newly planted rose laves turning yellow

Transplant shock. Trim back, keep watered--and wait. In about a month, everything should look fine.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here