Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids already???

Posted by northtexasdude 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 10:58

HI All, my roses are already starting to sprout new leaves and stems. Yesterday I noticed that on a Mirandy with new red foliage, there are already aphids all over. I mean there are a TON of aphids. I can control them fine with my dish soap spray, but I am shocked because our nights are still below freezing here. Usually around 28 degrees F. I thought these things were not supposed to live below 50 degrees! Does anyone know what temperature kills these pests?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids already???

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 11:42

Apparently if there's something growing for them to feed on they're out, lol!

o

Even if they die out in YOUR garden, there will be protected spots where their eggs won't freeze. Once the temps and humidity are right for them to hatch and grow, they'll swarm and you will have them. Spray all you want...if there are weeds and other plants "out there" to support them, they will migrate into your garden until it's too hot and dry for them to survive. I get them for a short period at the beginning and end of the season, but only in protected, mild spots around the hill when it's hotter and drier. Just over the ridge top, where there is much more coastal influence, they are year round. Just part of "Nature". Kim

o

We get them early here too and I got them even earlier when I lived in Dallas. Last year we had them through the summer which is very unusual. It tends to be a spring problem. A good spray with water every few days is my control method. Ants tend to milk them for their honeydew and will even boost them back up on the plants. Control the ant population and the aphid population goes down. That has been the advice from UCDavis and master gardeners in our area. Mary

o

I've got them too, in Dallas. LOTS!! But also a good number of Lady Bugs, so I gently transfer the Lady Bugs as I see them (in the house, porch, and other non aphid territory) directly to a bush, and hope they have the munchies!! Yes, the water spray is good too. Seems some years are heavier than others for them! But so glad to see spring coming!!!

o

Last year, our neighbor's un-tended "front lawn" (known locally as "Elizabeth's Meadow") hatched out an incredible flood of ladybugs. The march of Ladybug larvae continued for weeks.

We never saw an aphid.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here