Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing rose advice

Posted by dregae 5-6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 11:16

I am trying to decide what climbing roses would be best for my area. I live on the ohio river in Jeffersonville Indiana. I have only lived here 2 and a half years, but the winters seem fairly mild, and summers are humid and we get lots of rain.

I am unsure what species would do best here. I prefer very vigourous climbers in pinks and whites. Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dregae

PS. Where are the best place to purchase climbers??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing rose advice

Well, since pinks & whites are the most common rose colors you'll have more choices than you can think about. :)

o

How vigorous are you talking about? You could go with John Cabot or William Baffin for the pinks. Those are very hardy for your winters too.
Do you want them to bloom repeatedly, because many are one time bloomers that will bloom in spring.
I believe that karl_bapst_rosenut lives in Indiana. He may have better ideas about your climbers. He is very knowledgeable about roses.
I'm not sure about the white climbers. Alba Maxima may be good but I think it's a spring bloomer only. Maybe you could try climbing iceberg.
There are several great places to purchase climbing roses. Rogue Valley roses, Pickering nurseries, Heirloom roses, for starters.

o

As far as how vigorous, I have a really bland porch that I would like to see covered in roses someday. But I don't want to waste my money on a pretty picture from some nursery. I have tried that before and ended up with 10 dead rose bushes. Lesson learned, now I really want to hear what has worked well for others. I have been looking around at pickering and heirloom roses, and actually did see the william baffin.

Thanks so much for the responses so far!!!

dregae

o
RE: Climbing rose advice (forgot something)

Whoops forgot. I would prefer repeat bloomers, but a hardy plant first.

dregae

o

Well, William Baffin isn't called T-Rex for nothing lol! I just planted him this past season. I can't wait to see what he can do!
Have you thought about maybe a clematis? How about Sweet Autumn Clematis? Definitely large enough! With fragrant, white, small flowers in the fall time.

o
REre: Climbing rose advice

Well, William Baffin isn't called T-Rex for nothing lol! I just planted him this past season. I can't wait to see what he can do!
Have you thought about maybe a clematis? How about Sweet Autumn Clematis? Definitely large enough! With fragrant, white, small flowers in the fall time.

o
RE: Climbing rose advices

o
RE: A Climbing rose advice

Sorry bout the repeat posts oops! Forget the second two. Yikes!

Cathy

o

Dregae, why don't you look up Roses unlimited and call Pat on the phone..or email. Her website is hard to use but she is very knowledgeable and she knows zones and what grows where! She has helped me alot

o

A rose for a cooler winter climate that I've heard people rave about is the pink climber, Viking Queen. You can see it on Helpmefindroses. I think it's beautiful.

Ingrid

o

I'm so glad you posted this! I am looking to grow a pale pink climber on my porch, too. One that I'm considering is New Dawn. It's supposed to be hardy to zone 4, so perhaps it would be a good choice for you.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here