Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late Winter Fertilizing

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 11:19

We are having our first warm days of winter after bitter temperatures. We generally don't have temps in the 30's after this time, and the extended weather report shows milder temps for the rest of the month. I have a lot of roses in pots, bands and others I purchased from Chamblees last fall that I plan to get in the ground in the next month [bands will stay potted as they don't have enough growth]. I am wondering if it would be of any help to the roses, once they start unfurling their leaf buds and looking like they want to grow, to lightly fertilize with some fish emulsion or some other type of fertilizer to sort of kick start them. I have already sprinkled some Rose Tone in the pots but know this wont do any good until the soil warms up. Feb. 14 is our pruning date, so plan to start that this weekend. Don't want to be overzealous or overanxious but wanted to get opinions......thanks!!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late Winter Fertilizing

Hello Judith,
The man at Chamblee's said that fertilizing now was fine. He recommended long acting Osmocote Plus, He also said you only have to use it twice a year. I wonder if anyone else has used this before?

Kristy

o
RE: Late Winter Fertilizing

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 19:09

Judith, I think it's more or less OK to add any type of organics at any time. So the Rose Tone was probably OK and fish emulsion is too. As for chemical fertilizers, I would hold off until you are absolutely certain any new growth that fertilizer may push now will not be frozen off. And in this whacked out winter I'm not sure you can be yet. Besides that, as you've said, if the soil isn't warm enough it could just be a waste of time and money. I know you're eager (I sure am and I have months to wait yet) but I think some patience and caution with this winter is in order.

I use the time release Osmocote all the time. It's worked fine for me. I've used lots of other brands too because I usually get what ever is cheapest or on sale when I need to buy more. Just read the directions carefully and follow them faithfully!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here