Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmoyaux

Shade tolerant roses zone 5

jmoyaux
12 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I do love roses a lot. However, I am currently living in a house where my garden space (which is quite large) has quite a lot of shade because of many large oak trees. I have watched the sun and planted roses only where I saw the most amount of sunlight... however, I want more but I know the rest of the places I could put them would be part sun at best. I did purchase The Fairy and The Fairy OR for this purpose, and they did OK, but it would be great to get another roses, if anyone knows of any roses that can handle more shade than usual, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• TNY78
    12 years ago

As a general rule, hybrid musks and albas can tolerate more shades than most other rose classes. You could do a search on Helpmefind.com/roses for those two classes and see if theres anything that you like.

Out of those classes I grow Ballerina, Buff Beauty, Darlow's Enigma (sort of a hybrid musk), Celestial, Armide, Bubble Bath & Felicia.

While I do't grow it, Rogue Valley states that Dr. Robert Korn's is extremely shade tolerant. Their mother plant apparently receives almost no direct sunlight.

~Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr Robert Korns

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Some of the David Austin roses might work, such as James Galway.

Antiques such as Zephirine Drouhin, Kathleen Harrop and Gruss an Aachen are some other possiblities.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

'Too much' shade reduces the vigor of a rose, and makes it more prone to diseases like blackspot. Since blackspot is already going to be a big issue, whether or not you are willing to spray may determine whether or not this is going to work at all. The Fairy is very resistant to blackspot, though it can get other spot diseases like cercospora.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

The less sun the less bloom too for most roses. I had some I had to move out of a bed because the tree near there got too tall and was shading that corner and all of the roses there quit blooming for me.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I don't recommend growing roses in too much shade--they should get at least 4-5 hours of sun. As others above noted, they will tend to get more diseases (like blackspot) and not bloom as much as they should.

However, if you want to experiment to see what might work in that much shade, David Austin says the following of his roses can get by in shady places: Shropshire Lad, Denjamin Britten, Bonica, Crocus Rose, Gertrude Jekyll, Golden Celebration, Graham Thomas, Grace, Hyde Hall, James Galway, Jude the Obscure, Kew Gardens, L.D. Braithwaite, Lady of Shalott, Mary Rose, St. Swithun, Susan Williams-Ellis, Tam O'Shanter, Teasing Georgia, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Mayflower, Winchester Cathedral, and Mortimer Sackler.

You can find more info. and pics of them at helpmefind.com (see below).

Here is a link that might be useful: helpmefind.com

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Just remembered you asked about roses hardy in Zone 5.
    Of the shady ones listed above, these are the ones hardy to Zone 4:

Shropshire Lad, Crocus Rose, Gertrude Jekyll, L.D. Braithwaite, Mary Rose, St. Swithun, Susan Williams-Ellis, The Mayflower, Winchester Cathedral.

David Austin also says "in general" all Austin roses are hardy to at least Zone 5--so there are probably others on my first list that would work in your region also.

Kate

• jmoyaux
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will start looking into those lists you all provided and also the helpmefind site. I will do a post at some point as to which one(s) I chose and let you know how they are doing. I would also like to cut down some trees, let's see if there is any budget for that this year! : )

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures, including some good shots of the entire bush that show habit and perspective.

• predfern
    12 years ago

Rose de Rescht is also shade tolerant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose de Rescht

• susan4952
    12 years ago

Generous Gardener does very well in my shade area.

• cecily
    12 years ago

The presence of "many large oak trees" makes me wonder how dry your soil is? You might consider strategies like planting the rose in a 5 gallon pot and sinking the whole pot into the ground to avoid root competition from the trees.

• jim_w_ny
    12 years ago

The best rose for shade and other challenges is Rugosa Alba. It will grow any where and has these beautiful very fragrant flowers. Also suckers like mad!

• nastarana
    12 years ago

Oak wood is quite valuable. If you did ever decide to remove a tree, you might be able to do so at no expense to yourself. I envy you all the excellent leaf mold. You are putting it on your garden, right? Or sharing with organic vege gardeners in the neighborhood? (I would gladly trade produce for leaves if I lived nearby). No need to let the city have it. Permiculturists list oak among the plants which allegedly exert a beneficial influence on all other plants. So, allegedly, does hemp (sigh).

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    12 years ago

I second the Rose De Rescht, and Darlows Enigma suggestions. They are among my best shady bloomers although you must be willing to spray if you want to grow Rose De Rescht. Others shade tolerants that are no spray are Home Run, and the Knockout roses. No scent on those, but real easy to grow. And all of these roses are great repeaters. My Albas did great in less than full sun, although they only bloom in the spring, but alas all except Felicite Parmentier are gone due to RRD. ANother 1x bloomer that does very well in part sun is the species Rosa Primula, my earliest bloomer. The leaves smell like incense and the flowers are bright yellow, also no spray.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

My Rose de Rescht is in partial shade and it only blooms sporadically after the first spring flush.

• mysteryrose
    12 years ago

Shade tolerant in my garden: Lyda Rose, the Knock Out roses, Pearl Drift, Rose a Parfum de la Hay, Ballerina, Darlow's Enigma, Betty Prior, Raubritter, The Fawn, Wasagaming, Ghislaine de Felegonde, Clair Matin, Rose de Rescht, White Meiland, to name some. I have read that Peter Mayle is also shade tolerant.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you, mysteryrose, for the above info. I live in zone 5a, 1 hour west of Chicago, in a shady lot with lots of trees. Thank you, altorama, for posting those gorgeous pictures. HMF needs more full-bush shot like yours.

Hi Jmoyaux: Since Austin roses are from a rainy, less sun climate - some of them tolerate shade really well. Crown Princess Margareta was reported blooming in 2 hours of sun. Of the Austins that I grow, Wise Portia, Golden Celebration, Christopher Marlow, and Lady Emma Hamilton (English Musk) all bloom in 4 hours of sun. Austins are such water-hogs that planting them in partial-shade is actually an advantage.

• suriburg
    8 years ago

Does any one know the name of this mystery rose I have? I lost the tag. It is 3 years old. About 4feet tall. Zone4-5. Thanks, suri in Colorado

• bellarosa
    8 years ago

Looks like "Sally Holmes". Are the buds peach color?

• suriburg
    8 years ago

Hi, yes the buds are apricot/ pink . I have 2 and they look like they could be climbers. Thanks for any info you could give me.

• vasue VA
    8 years ago

Suri, welcome to the forum. What a lovely garden & adorable dog you have! Looks like Sally Holmes to me, too. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5589&tab=1 You can click the tabs across the top of that page (Description, Photos, Member Ratings, Member Comments, etc.) to find out more. You can also click on the name of the poster in each category to find where they garden, since reports from your general area will be more helpful to your growing conditions. Sally Holmes is usually grown as a climber, getting as big as you & your climate allow, but can be grown as a large freestanding shrub with lots of pruning. You might also begin a new post to invite comments, since these older threads get rather lost in the shuffle.