Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for pruning one cane wonders

Posted by socabeth z9CA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 12:06

I've got a couple of them....on the one hand it seems they need all the cane and foliage they have in order to grow, but it never seems to stimulate new basal growth! I keep wondering if I cut it really low if it would stimulate growth from the bottom! What would you do with these? The first is carefree wonder, the 2nd is Disneyland. I've given them alfalfa, alfalfa tea, epsom salts, and seaweed fertilizer the last two years! Or should I just give up and replace them?
 photo IMG_2165.jpg

photo IMG_2164.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for pruning one cane wonders

See the thread "Is it possible to save one cane wonders?" below - lots of good ideas.

Jackie

o

Honestly -- I believe I'd start over with healthy plants.

Jeri

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 17:21

Shovel

o

Not sure if this would work. But I was thinking - what if you added soil to a point above the graft - that might stimulate new growth.
Carol

o

I'm with Hoovb and Jeri. You've given them every opportunity to perform, and every encouragement. Dig we must.

Kay

o

Okay all I come here for serious discussion on the growing of roses. I've learned so much on this site. So this title sounded interesting to me, ready to learn I was as I clicked on the link. Today, Hoovb you had me laughing out loud! Socabeth, I have red clay soil here, takes me all day to plant a rose, so I'd be just like you, searching for every way to help that rose!!

o

hahaha ok! Shovel it is! Maybe after the spring "flush"! Love that pic of the shovel...that says it all! Good one HoovB Thanks!

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 21:24

I have quite a few "one cane wonders," its just so hard for me to shovel prune!!!! Maybe I need to take this advice too :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here