Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Traviata

I am thinking of ordering this rose. Can anyone comment on it? Where would be the best place to order? Helpmefind only lists Heirloom and I dont want a band. Thanks!

Judith

Comments (7)

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

Roses Unlimited also has Traviata and Pink Traviata.

I have grown three plants of Traviata for about ten years. It's a healthy plant (even without spray) and makes single blooms on strong canes. It is not a show rose as it has no form as defined by the ARS. It does make carnation like blooms with long life. The blooms need to be cut off after they fade as they are so strong that they will fill with rainfall. The one caveat would be the thorns with are both numerous and rather intimidating.

• john_ca
    12 years ago

I grew Traviata a number of years ago. My specimen was a grafted rose (Dr. Huey) and was very vigorous, growing around 5-6 feet tall. The leaves never had any disease on it and were dark green and waxy in appearance. The plant had thick canes and grew in the form of a hybrid tea rose. The flowers were of good size (4-5 inches across), and were an appealing shade of red with dark red highlights. The repeat of the rose was average. The only shortcoming was that it had little or no fragrance. There is a pink variant/mutation of this rose that is marketed as Pink Traviata, which I have never grown.

Meilland developed another similar rose that has a very different pedigree, Rouge Royale. I prefer this one to Traviata as it has a very strong fragrance. The flowers are a brighter shade of red and does not have the darker red tones in it. I do know that some very experienced rosarians report that this rose is heavily affected by rust, but I have did not see it in my Santa Clara Valley garden and have not seen it in my San Joaquin Valley garden yet.

Traviata and Rouge Royale (and lots of others in the Romantica series) can be ordered from Regans Roses in Fremont, CA: http://www.regannursery.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.main/typeID/29/alphaKey/all/index.htm

I grow most of the roses in this series and they are among my favorites. I have always had good experiences with this nursery and recommend them highly.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Comments above are all on target.

Mine gets black spot and lots of cercospora unless sprayed, but conditions here are worse than almost anywhere else.

You must allow extra width, 1-1/2 times the average HT. It can easily grow 8' tall. I prune to 12" in spring and take long stems when deadheading. The stems are enormously long and stout. Necks will support the large flowers upright even when they are filled with two or three ounces of water, a peculiar habit noted by Ann. Lasts well when cut.

It has old rose flower form, modern dark red color that is very consistent, plant habit like a double-size hybrid tea.

The great height with self-supporting, upright habit makes it useful for certain locations in the garden.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Big vigorous grower, lots of blooms, strong stems. Zero fragrance. Absolutely zero. Which is why I got rid of it.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

Mine was very pretty, and much like what has been described. It had almost no black spot, but did not "coordinate" well with the more delicate teas and SDLM. When I discarded it, I was removing all that did not belong and recreating my garden to be "no spray". Mine was in a raised spot in the front yard. I do wish I had only moved it because I cannot find another deep red that remains red in our climate.

I will try to find a picture.

Sammy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

{{gwi:227154}}

I think I might look for another one myself.This picture was taken in 2008.

My camera will not take good pictures of reds. The red on Traviata is much darker.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just ordered one today from Regan Nursery. I have seen this rose before and always remembered how beautiful it was. Dont care that it doesnt have a scent - it is just a beautiful rose - glad to hear it performs well!