Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's going on with this plant?

Posted by nicholas.delo (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 12:41

Is what's going on with these canes something I should be worried about?

The plant pictured is a double knockout. The oldest canes all look like this, mostly towards the base of the plant.

Is this some form of canker or is this the normal hardening off of these canes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's going on with this plant?

How old is the plant in question? Some canes will start to wood over as they get older, but that could also be canker...

o

This rose is maybe 4 years old, but has been transplanted twice in that time.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 15:48

Transplanting shouldn't matter unless you cut all the canes off when you did it. It's the age of the canes that's important. A 4 year old cane could begin to get woody/barky covered. I turned and brightened up the photo to see it better and this looks like bark not canker to me.

o

Thank you for the replies.

I was hoping that was the case.

It was just that the woody growth looked, to me at least, very different from my other roses and I was worried that if this was diseased, it could spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here