Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Suggestions Please - Pink Rose with Old Fashioned Blooms

Hello,

Last year I purchased Paul Neyron. I knew that this rose did not perform well for many, but despite comments I read on the Antique Roses forum, I took a risk and purchased it anyway. Paul Neyron is the WORST looking plant in my garden!!! It has never looked healthy despite my amending the soil per professional testing prior to planting this rose. I have been watching and waiting and nothing�.. It is actually worse looking now than it ever has been.

I am tasked now with rapidly searching for a replacement. I would prefer a pink rose ( soft to medium pink), a white blend would be wonderful. The area has antique and Austin roses only, so a modern rose that is stiff or has very high centered blooms could look out of place in the area. I would like to find a floribunda or shrub rose that does not become more than about 4 - 5' tall.

As always, your assistance is appreciated.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 13:19

Comments (14)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Duchesse de Brabant, the non climbing version of Mme Caroline Testout, or, wait for it... the shrub version of Ice Berg, which does well in hot climates, and is frequently tinged with pink.

Jackie

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

What about Cécile Brunner? (shrub, not climber!) I am not sure how this one would do in your area. Souvenir de la Malmaison is also gorgeous, though may be bigger than you are wishing. Good luck with your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Souvenir de la Malmaison

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I'm just seeing the first buds so I can't speak to the long term health and vigor, but Sydonie enchants me despite having what many people call "a formless bloom" from what I've read. So far the plant looks great here in Santa Monica.

Catherine Mermet, DdB, Wildeve, Sharifa Asma, maybe Marchessa Bocella/Jacques Cartier if it would grow to the HMF listed size, Kathryn Morley, and Spice come to mind immediately as lighter pinks with OGR type blooms, roughly from 4'-5'.

Jay

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jacqueline, I only seen images of Mme. Caroline Testout but know it is a rose I am drawn to. I will look it up. When the side yard was re- designed last year, I removed 3 Iceberg 2 bush and 1 climber. Beautiful blooms and or fragrance was a priority when I selected plants for this part of the yard so they were moved to the backyard. My Icebergs always look white.

growing_rene,

I have SDLM growing in other parts of my yard and did not consider it for this area. It could work and I have an extra plant that has been growing in a pot.

Jay, I have been enamored with Sharifa Asma and Marchessa Bocella for years. I grew S.A. years ago and it did not like the heat.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I would suggest Mother of Pearl. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it - my computer died - and haven't got my pictures reloaded yet (don't know how LOL).

It's short here - about 2 feet. Tons and tons of blooms. Really healthy. Nice bush shape. Always looks fantastic. But no scent.

Carol

• nastarana
    10 years ago

You could try a helpmefind search for pink tea rose. Tea roses are nearly always in bloom and the bushes have a graceful appearance as well. One commenter on this forum called teas "the complete garden package". They also seem to need quite a bit less water than the Portlands.

Ellie Beauvilain is a very nice pink noisette shrub. It does grow big.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

'Octavia Hill' - Harkness florib. darker than Souv.de la Malmaison.

Original Author
    10 years ago

nastarana, Elie Beauvilain is gorgeous but will most likely become too large. I saved it to favorites for future reference:)

iris_gal, Octavia Hill is definitely a contender. Thank you for the suggestion.

Canadianrose, Mother of Pearl is very pretty but I am holding out for something with fragrance.

• User
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    Have you considered Ralph's 'Grandma's Pink'? Its a very robust plant and blooms like mad. No fragrance though.

Original Author
    10 years ago

trospero,

Thank you for the suggestion. Grandma's Pink is very pretty, but I do not think the size of the plant will be substantial enough to coexist and/or make a statement among the other plantings.

• vickysgarden
    10 years ago

I added this very fragrant rose last year, and it has 4" blooms on a 3 foot by approximately 3 foot sized plant. It is available from Heirloom Roses.

• vickysgarden
    10 years ago

Ooops!! Sorry...you need the name! That rose pictured is called Tranquility. Some of you might have thought it was Souvenir de la Malmaison, as it resembles that one. It is very fragrant and although it looks like an English rose, it is not an Austin. It is a delicate pink shading to near white. There is an Austin rose by the same name, so don't get confused if you look it up.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Cinderella Fairytale from Palatine in Ontario is an old fashion looking shrub. It will grow to 5 feet. Here is my photo with no pruning and it grew tall and had lots of blooms plus no disease.