Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grey rose stems on falstaff rose?

Posted by KingCobb (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:33

I stumbled on this Falstaff last fall at a end of season 1/2 off sale. It looked healthy, but I am wanting to check on how grey/wooded the new stem growth is.

Is this normal for falstaffs or is something going on here I need to address?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grey rose stems on falstaff rose?

One more pic. Sorry they are cell phone pics.

o

Is it powdery mildew? Would be the 1st such occurrence in my garden and it doesn't seem to be a problem here in Galveston/Houston. Plus none ofmy other roses seem to have it.

o

You're pictures aren't very clear so I'm not sure whether it's the same thing I have, but some of my roses have rose mosaic, which makes the canes look gray where they're affected. I believe it's a virus of some sort. It doesn't usually affect the roses too much and some of them live on for years. I think I can see tiny leafbuds on the affected areas so the canes are obviously not doing too badly. I'd wait and see what the new leaves look like, or maybe meanwhile you can send clearer pictures.

Ingrid

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 18:24

Is the gray a substance on the top of the wood or is the bark of the wood a gray color? It it's something on the top it could be mildew, although I don't know if your weather conditions are good for that right now. If it's the bark that's gray it's just an older cane. As canes age they'll get a darker woody/ barky color, sometimes gray , sometimes brown, it depends on the rose. If it's at the top of the can it could be some die back. Clip the tip of the cane and check the pith inside for whiteness.

o

I showed it to a horticulturist I know and he said it is a canker disease caused by various different fungi.

I thought it kind of looked like canker but couldn't find the wound.

He is gonna look at the canes I cut off tomorrow to verify it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here