Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which rose should I plant puzzle: climber in a difficult spot

Posted by DrPekeMom 10/sunset 22 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 13:53

I think I want a climbing rose for a hard spot in my garden. I have a shady north wall on the south side of my back garden, where the lovely Lyda rose has been doing her thing beautifully at the base of various passion fruits. This wall eventually runs into an old carriage house, leaving a gap of about a foot between the wall and the carriage house.

This is magnet for naughty little doggehs to go exploring, even though they can't get out, and then they come out all dirty and I don't like going back there to retrieve them. Spiders! Snakes! Scorpions! Bigfoots!

So I am thinking of putting up some (ugly) green fiberglass to functionally block the gap, but I'd like to put a rose in front of it both to screen it.

I could put another Lyda rose there, I guess, but I think I would like a climber to start in the bed that I could train against the carriage house. This poor old carriage house is old, and so I can't have any house eaters. But it's going to need to be vigorous because I appear to kill everything else.

Another issue: it's going have shade early on, but as it reaches up, it will get full southern California sun all day.

Looking also for something that won't clash overmuch with the Lyda rose, which is a pink/white.

I was thinking Claire Austin, but I don't seem to have much luck with many Austins. Any ideas?

And thanks everybody who answered my Darlow's Enigma inquiry. She's in the ground. Let's hope she turns into something!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which rose should I plant puzzle: climber in a difficult spot

If the sun isn't that great there, I'd think you would want to stick with less double flowers as they require less light and heat to form and open. They don't last as long as more double flowers, but they rebloom faster, usually earlier and later than heavily petaled types, too. You might also want to look at shrubs which grow large and can be trained as climbers instead of a traditional "climber", to keep your eventual size controlled. Most "hybrid musk" types should work about as well as Lyda due to their shared genes. If you want things which are readily available, it sounds like a perfect situation for types such as Sally Holmes and Icebergs. If you're willing to start with smaller plants and grow them into what's needed for the spot, check out hybrid musks available from the specialty sources of your choice to see what looks interesting. Many of them will eventually grow into fairly large plants with rather thick wood, but they will produce flowers as they do and can be pruned to keep them in check. Good luck. KIm

o

ZD should work as it can take shade and has great smelling pink colored flowers. I'd use 3/4 in x 4 ft x 8 ft pressure treated lattice cut to fill the gap and block the doggies while providing something for the rose to be attached.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:35

'Iceberg' (climbing version).

o

Take a piece of that Darlow's Enigma and stick the stick in the ground in front of the fiberglass thingee -- it will probably take, and then take off. Roots easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here