Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicate_gw

Clematis suggetion to NOT bloom with New Dawn Rose

alicate
11 years ago

Hi! I am putting in a New Dawn Rose on my trellis this spring. I would like the rose to bloom alone, at least its first flush. I would love to plant two clematis, both type 3 for ease of pruning. One I would love to bloom early than the ND and the other after the ND. Any particular ones you think would fit the bill?

Most people want them to bloom together, but I guess I am in the minority here. I am in Michigan in zone 5. Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

You might put this on the Clematis forum. They probably have more folks with broader knowledge on clematis.
    I have 5 kinds I grow- but only one group 3-- Jackmanii.
    It's not my favorite.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

In my garden most summer bloomers bloom more or less at the end of June. This includes my once blooming roses and the big flush of most others. I only have one group 3 clematis and it starts around that time and blooms until fall. It's C. integrifolia Durandii. Might work for you. I'm not a huge clematis expert but for early spring blooms you might need to look at group 1. My C. Alpina blooms spring and a bit in the fall.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

I just rechecked my clematis and one of my favorites is group three-- It's Naiobi. It's available pretty much everywhere and has gorgeous wine colored blooms. She blooms steadily to fall. It starts blooming in June though- so it might bloom at the same time.

a similar later bloomer (july) that is also group 3 is Royal Velours.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I think that an early spring flowering Type 1 clematis might be a poor choice for 'New Dawn'. These are not pruned and have amazing winter hardiness, so it will keep building up on itself as the years go by, eventually choking out the rose. It would also complicate pruning the rose. I recently inquired on another forum about growing Type 1/Atragene clematis on a tree in my front garden, and was told they tend to look very messy out of season, so it is not a good choice for a prominent location.

I would definitely go with a Type 3 clematis, too. You will have some rose and clematis blooms coincide, but the clematis will add greatly to length of bloom and visual impact from the rose.

Now the fun decision is what clematis you will choose! A white like 'Huldine', 'John Huxtable' or 'Alba Luxurians' would look elegant, or a light lavender-blue like 'Emilia Plater', 'Prince Charles' or 'Betty Corning' could also be very pretty. A deeper pink like 'Ville de Lyon', 'Barbara Harrington' or 'Princess Diana' would provide a striking monochromatic contrast. The darker purples would also look nice, and I love 'Rooguchi' growing with pink flowers.

If you do insist on planting two clematis, make sure you give the rose a head start of at least a year. Even though the clematis also take time to mature, they will eventually be much more vigorous than the rose, even a thug like 'New Dawn'.

Also, if you do choose two clematis, I would choose one classic open-faced cultivar (like 'Huldine') and one bell-shaped cultivar (like 'Rooguchi'). That way, you will not only have the contrasting colors but also the contrasting bloom forms.

You can also e-mail the owner of Silver Star Vinery. She could probably help point you in the right direction. Her plants are said to be superb. I have many on order for spring :-)

• alicate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I looked into it more and agree that a type 3 would be the best. I'll just get one of the later blooming cultivars and forget about one blooming earlier than the ND. Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it!

• t_bred
    11 years ago

I grow Sweet Autumn for it's late ( September here) flowers and wonderful smell. We do prune it back hard in late winter/early spring and it grows back gangbusters every year. Would be a nice compliment for your New Dawn.